• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Running 5.56 through 7.62 ammo chute

MGnoob

NES Life Member
NES Member
It may be a Stupid question or not the best forum for it, but does anyone Run 5.56 through 7.62 ammo chute? I am aware the device on the gun end that prevents the ammo from sliding back down the chute when opening the top (or bottem) cover, may not function and may need to be swapped out.

Ive been wanting to set up something in two calibers, but dont want to have to have 2 boxes and two chutes..but dont want to sacrifice function for cost.
It just seems possible, if not im tempted to fashion my own chute.but its also tempting to just buy it though. The accsesories for the chutes specifically the m249 and m60 are easilly adapted for my m16/HK

I think 3d printed plastic would work but not really what im going for.

I think if i didnt lived in MA i wouldnt have these problems, preban "predetor packs" and parts are hard to come by and so expensive it makes the new ones look practical. I dont plan on using it as a backpack other than novelty. I plan feed from it in general with it though. Loose belt isnt the way to go and i dont like any of the saw boxes or custom bags out there.

Im going to get a quote for everything and go from there.im not usually the guy to hack or half ass my guns. I just wonder if i can get away with one chute. I can fill the extra space in the can with UHMW plastic or somithing similar..
7.62x51 isnt that much larger than 5.56x45..ya there may be some slap in the chute but i wouldnt think it would bind....someones done it im sure.

Last edited:
I contacted GSI international, Standard Armament, Noble. About feed chute.

This is the basic responce i got
Thank you for your interest in our products. Our feed chute is a Department of State controlled item. With that being said, we would need proper documentation from an affliated Military or Law Enforcement agency you may be with in order to supply any product or pricing information.

Pretty much what i expected.
i was pretty much over the running 5.56 in a 7.62 chute, unfortunately 5.56 chute is harder to come by.

I contacted these guys about the predator pack about when it will come to market and if they have prototypes available.
http://downeastinc.com/Products.php/?Link=FeedPack

i found most of what i need for sale, but i didnt realize this would be such a challange.
i wish i could just order what i want for example this saw m249 adapter could be made to work with my shrike rather easily and be a clean install.
556mmAdapter4_Small.jpg

I guess ill be the one to find out if 5.56 will feed through a 7.62 chute.
While im sure i could get 5.56 chute the favors, money , and time involved most likely outweighs the benefits.
im just trying to order 6' of 7.62 chute, a few ends, and 3 different ammo cans.

Im going to just hack it to my guns and live with it.

i guess shall not be infringed doesnt cover feed chute....ohh the tyranny.

Photos to come.

So i only got 1 ammo can and am still trying to track down the two other cans i am looking for. But to give you and idea here are some photos.
pix814548059.jpg
pix617751398.jpg
pix327645432.jpg
pix164815138.jpg
pix611561858.jpg

and i got "evil" black chute covers aswell.

I guess ill be finding out if you can shoot 5.56 though a 7.62 chute soon. I Should have my HK21e in a few weeks.i manage to track Down the correct parts to attach the chute to the HK without much trouble.
I have to make some parts for it to connect to my ares shrike/mcr. I'll be trying to ge it done before the next NES shoot but probably won't have it in time.Here's the new can i just found. IMGA0572.jpg

I still have some odds and end to get to round out these two setups mostly just spare parts and barrels.
Im excited for this project to be over apparently HK stuff is like 3x more expensive than m16 stuff.its the accessories that kill you.

mlnow.jpg

Last edited:
So funny, i was thinking you'd be perfect for the job. Im in VT for the green mountain boys shoot right now.
If you are at the NH pig roast shoot, i could leave you with my beltfed upper, The saw box adapter for ar15 magwell, an m60 chute adapter, and the m60 chute end.........for you to work your magic.

If you can make some kind of aluminum magwall adapter that would be great... since i have a RDIAS over a RR. I was debating just welding a mount directly to a lower receiver.

Last edited:
Hk parts
20170715_181043.jpg 20170715_181056.jpg 20170715_181242.jpg

I'm thinking welding an ar15 lower rather than making a magwell adapter is the way to go.
Id still be able to Shoot from mags and it would be a much cleaner install. I also think a magwell adpater would make it unwieldy if trying to shoot with the chute attached not mounted on a tripod, whether i just deside to detach it from the tripod and chute off hand , or from a backpack setup Ocasionally as a novelty.

I'm an OK welder, aluminium isnt my favorite.i just need tabs like the stainless steel piece in the above photos welded to a magwell. They will obiously be thicker.

Im going to stop my a local machine shop tomarrow evening, im kind of back to wanting a magwell adapter.Im going to see what they are willing to do for me. Im trying to get it dont before the shoot.
Here photos of what im working with....
20170717_165200.jpg 20170717_165224.jpg 15079.jpg l_100019950_3.jpg 20170717_165253.jpg 20170717_165259.jpg

So what i ended up doing is ordering 1"x2.5" aluminium barstock.
Also i ordered counterbore, tap, and tapdrill for 1/4-20.

Im just going to make it, the only real machining ill be doing is putting the notch in for the mag release.
If it all works out and rhe .223 feeds, ill have someone mill out pockets to lighten it up and it anodize or cerikoated.

I just did it this way so ill have it for the pig roast shoot.

I want you to do it for sure, aslong as it works at the shoot

I went to a military show last week, now that i have the two chutes and feedcans i need a vehicle.
My buddy has a small fleet of military vehicles but the trails are so tight and the vehicle to tall for the trails where the range is...a jeep would be perfect.
I want to build small backstops and move some steel from a different location to make a "driving range" it would be a loop or somthing so we could go round and round...not huge but at least somthing new.

Last edited:
Now i can give you just the block and a feed end rather that the whole upper.
It was better to have a shitty prototype, might learn something.
When you finish making it we can send it out for anodizing or coating
Do you do either yourself?...if it was steel i could just have it plated at my family's shop.

One modification i know i want is to mill a channel from the top of the part inserted into the magwell and down the right side... when feeding from a belt with no mag inserted jams somtimes fall out the magwell when racking...its a good thing.

I was trying todo at home anodizing setup. But got side tracked lol . You might want one of those hard paints put on it . With parts moving on it so much it might hold up longer .
Or use thin teflon sheets on those surfaces .

I have a tormach 770 cnc mill. A full size knee mill and a 10x29 lathe . In my shared work shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While i didnt get a functional test done, i can say running 5.56 through a long 7.62 chute from a backpack will be un reliable at best. Feeding strait and vertical should work. A belt slides quite nice through it.

It'll be awhile but I'll put some photo/video up. On the positive side 7.62 will feed through a 7.62 chute so im dieing to get my hk21

Well here's my first post. Checking in for the other sites. OP, looks like you got your M-60/21e adapter from MM? I have the same one and welded the stainless steel chuting adapter to the MM adapter. Finally have my "Predator Pack" complete in 7.62. I have the MM .223 conversion kit, both conversion kits have about 6000 rounds each thru the gun. Looking to hear how you make out on the .223 in the chuting.

Attachments

• mm231 008.JPG
    mm231 008.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 21e chute.jpg
    21e chute.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180114_082235.jpg
    20180114_082235.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180114_082230.jpg
    20180114_082230.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 15
I didnt realize MM had those m60/21e adapters... mines an HK stamped part and it was expensive.. what did yours cost?

"I didnt realize MM had those m60/21e adapters... mines an HK stamped part and it was expensive.. what did yours cost? "

I paid I think $800.00 freakin rip off. But you know if you want to play the game. What did yours cost and can you post an up close pic or two showing the HK mark.

I feel Better, i paid $500 kinda sucks ill have to modify it to attach that other piece.

I just pulled it out to photograph it, i guess i was wrong. No markings.
I guess i still didnt do to bad. My mm21/23e will be here Monday.

Back
Top Bottom