• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 Colt, Ruger only load issue

headednorth

NES Member
Im looking to load a 300 grain cast bullet with 21.8 grains of H-110. This is the starting load from Hodgden's website for a 300 grain spr jfp. (Max is at 22.2) C.O.L. is 1.650". The bullet is from Missouri Bullet Company (.45 Silhouette-Hi-Tek)

So I load up 25 tonight and when I drop one into the cylinder, there's about a sixteenth between the rim and the cylinder and the loading gate wont close. I inspect further and notice that when I seat to 1.650", the mouth of the case is in the middle of the two crimping grooves, so Im crimping on the high spot between the grooves rather than into the groove. I try seating to 1.600", mouth is crimped into the groove and the round chambers fine, gate closes, cylinder turns freely, etc.

Sounds like I solved the problem, but Im hesitant to set deeper than whats in the data because 1) the max load is only 0.04 grains over where Im at now, and 2) Ive heard its not a good idea to load H-110 below the starting load. I assume seating the bullet deeper will raise the pressure.

So, my questions...

- How much of a difference will seating the bullet 0.050" deeper make with regards to raising the pressure, keeping in mind the max charge for this load according to Hodgden is only 0.04 grains above where Im at now?

- Is it safe to lower the charge of H-110 from the starting load to compensate for the deeper seating depth? If so, how much should I lower it by?

- Go with a normal crimp or heavy crimp?

Additional info...

Using Winchester Large pistol primers.

Pistol is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk, 7.5" barrel.

Round gauges fine in a Dillon case gauge. The nose of the bullet extends around an eighth inch beyond the gauge, but the round works fine in the cylinder, no binding.

Bullet is .452", bhn 18, coated bullet.

FYI- attached pdf is the data from Hodgden's website.

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=318&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

Attachments

• 45c.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 5
You're already at the starting charge, so don't lower it (especially with H110).

With a rimmed revolver round, always adjust the OAL so that the crimp groove is at the case mouth. Put a sturdy roll crimp on it too.

There are some calibers (like the .40 S&W) where a reduction in OAL like that would be a concern. The .45 Colt (and pretty much every other revolver round) is going to be fine with it.

Just work up slow and watch for pressure signs.

Thanks Jim.

The tiny spread between start and max along with the fact that its a relatively hot load was making me hesitant to seat the bullet deeper than the data called for.

I just looked it up. I also load heavy .45 Colt loads for use in a Ruger. The 21.8 to 22.2 of H 110 was for a 300 grain jacketed not cast lead bullet. Wouldn't the pressure be slightly lower with a cast bullet than with a jacketed one?

Back
Top Bottom