• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Feral Hogs?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Has anyone gone for feral hogs?
Where did you go?
Was it a big pack of hogs non stop that you killed off because they are destroying the local farms? Or was it a point and click over a feeder?
I would like to try to get some buddies together for a feral hog trip but I would prefer to take out a bunch of hogs on some private farm instead of shooting a big pig over a grain feeder and calling it a day.
Seems like having some fun hunting and helping to get rid of the problem for farms at the same time would be great.
Any suggestions?

Havent gone, but its in the works. A friend of mine went to South Carolina and his mid 30ish year old son got to kill one with a knife, but Im not sure as to the overall details. The meat I got was great though. I believe there was a place in Maine that had guided hunts on private property, but that ended recently. It seems that down south has the guided hunts, but up this way youd have to find a farm like you mentioned.

Either way, Im hoping some good ideas come from this thread.

I need to pay my friend in Texas a visit. Last year he got around 25 hogs in one hunt, awesome pork !!!!

Where did you go?
Was it a big pack of hogs non stop that you killed off because they are destroying the local farms? Or was it a point and click over a feeder?
I would like to try to get some buddies together for a feral hog trip but I would prefer to take out a bunch of hogs on some private farm instead of shooting a big pig over a grain feeder and calling it a day.
Seems like having some fun hunting and helping to get rid of the problem for farms at the same time would be great.
Any suggestions?

Texas is open season 24/7/365, NO limit. Look in West Texas. Some farmers in the Dell City area will pay a bounty for each pig. There are a TON of people that will put you on hogs (not that difficult). Bring lots of ammo and a reliable rifle. You'll get a workout.

With all the talk. You would think TX was being afflicted with a plague of hogs. From what I have read on the internet. Even people who live in TX have to pay landowners to shoot hogs on their land. Or they are asking online where to find a good hog hunting outfitter. Make me wonder how serious the feral pig problem really is down there?

With all the talk. You would think TX was being afflicted with a plague of hogs. From what I have read on the internet. Even people who live in TX have to pay landowners to shoot hogs on their land. Or they are asking online where to find a good hog hunting outfitter. Make me wonder how serious the feral pig problem really is down there?

Supply and demand. There is no shortage of people willing to pay to shoot them so why not charge?

I remember reading an article about how farmers were devastated in the first year or so of the hogs overrunning their farms. Then they realized that they could make a bunch of money with almost no work (in comparison to farming) by charging people to hunt there.

Supply and demand. There is no shortage of people willing to pay to shoot them so why not charge?

I read the below article that said Caldwell TX was the epicenter for the fight against feral hogs.

So I looked into the below reasonably priced ranch in the area. The local reviews said that the ranch gets a delivery of hogs on Thurs. With others saying that there's no hogs in the area. I wonder if the south can find enough hogs to meet the current demand. I always read people saying. I know a farmer who would be glad to have you come shoot some hogs.. Blah, blah. Those farmers seem few and far between.

http://www.independenceranch.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/05/feral-swine-have-texas-county-at-epicenter-hog-wild-battle.html

Last edited:
for what its worth my friends dad went to FL for his first pig shoot. I called him today. The plce he went is no longer doing hog shoots as the family sold the property to a developer. He said he just went on line and found this place and liked what he seen on the website. He basically stayed in thier very nice hunting cabin with a real bed and then in the morning and early evening sat on the deck and shot the pigs as they crossed the field.... later he went to a place in texas long range ranch or some shit where they took 600-1200 yard shots on pigs with 338 lapua, 50 BMG and a 416 ?
this is where he is going next.
http://www.helibacon.com/?gclid=CKio1vz1l9ICFQtWDQodq0QOBg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you go?
Any suggestions?

Florida has some good spots so does Georgia and Bama, I've hunted in all 3. Good to make a long weekend out of it, barbecue at the end unless you are prepared to ship the meat home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your hog hunting(its not really hunting). Night time is the best..you get those 4x4 golf carts, night vision, and just spread some sour corn in the trails. Its a massacre. You can drive up, walk the last 50ft and you can get about 30ft away from them before you let them have it.
be careful those things can hurt/kill you. Shoot the females first, the babys wont run as far... i always make sure to kill the little ones, they wont make it on their own. Also the goal is extermination.
The little ones are better eating aswell.

There really is an infestation, they do alot of damage.I wish i had my beltfed m16 when i would do this.
we'd trap them in kidney shaped traps and mass grave them....you'd be shocked how quickly they turn on eachother and eat one another

If your hog hunting(its not really hunting). Night time is the best..you get those 4x4 golf carts, night vision, and just spread some sour corn in the trails. Its a massacre. You can drive up, walk the last 50ft and you can get about 30ft away from them before you let them have it.
be careful those things can hurt/kill you. Shoot the females first, the babys wont run as far... i always make sure to kill the little ones, they wont make it on their own. Also the goal is extermination.
The little ones are better eating aswell.

There really is an infestation, they do alot of damage.I wish i had my beltfed m16 when i would do this.
we'd trap them in kidney shaped traps and mass grave them....you'd be shocked how quickly they turn on eachother and eat one another

Where did you go to do this?

I did it all weekend every weekend for about 6 months in TX.Honestly I've dispatched several hundred personally.It got to the point where i was enjoying it so much, it almost wasnt right.

- - - Updated - - -

Private 1000 acre ranch. I always wanted alot of land like up to 100 acres...after seing these ranches 1000 acres isnt as big as you'dthink

I did it all weekend every weekend for about 6 months in TX.Honestly I've dispatched several hundred personally.It got to the point where i was enjoying it so much, it almost wasnt right.

- - - Updated - - -

Private 1000 acre ranch. I always wanted alot of land like up to 100 acres...after seing these ranches 1000 acres isnt as big as you'dthink

Ahh ok. So nothing I can go to.
Yeah when it's allopen and flat 100 acres doesn't look like much.

The guy i went with died rather tragically. Fishing and hunting with him was great.
if your going to travel all the way to Florida or Texas id look up that helicopter trip.
Im pretty sure i could use me FA stuff, so i doubt the trip would cost more than the ammo id go through.

It was great with one of us wearing the NV headset and the otherguy with the rifle with NV..liking shooting fish in a barrel...

- - - Updated - - -

His brother died when they were kids...climbing over a small fence used the rifle like a walking stick and the trigger snagged..blew his face off right infront of him.. probibly should do that with one in the pipe.

Back
Top Bottom