• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would SD 1884 include 500 S&W?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I read through parts of SD 1884 and the 50 cal ban included all 50 caliber ammo and firearms. Unless I missed it I don't see any distinctions between handgun and rifle as part of the ban, so I'm assuming this ban includes the S&W 500 and 500 S&W ammo. Is that your take as well?

It calls out 50 BMG specifically and gives dimensions for the rifle round. S&W 500 and others shouldn't be affected.

Plus it is so poorly written that a minor change in case length or OAL length and it wouldn't apply.

Plus it is so poorly written that a minor change in case length or OAL length and it wouldn't apply.

As I recall it refers to the length of the "bullet" being a small range of sizes around 5.5" (which is roughly the OAL of the cartridge) to define what is being banned.

So perhaps no change is needed. Not that this will pass, anyway.

It's more or less a copy of the Commiefornia laws, which are equally stupid yet they passed.

I really don't get this one- we all know how few crimes nationwide have been committed with the 50 BMG. Last I recall, the only crime had to do with a PP and/or perp in possession of one. It was not actually used to commit a crime.

Don't forget that people in general are pretty stupid regarding issues like this. Some of our own club officers have tried a couple times to ban 50 cal but each time have met vocal opposition from all of us opposed on principle (or reality).

It's more or less a copy of the Commiefornia laws, which are equally stupid yet they passed.

I really don't get this one- we all know how few crimes nationwide have been committed with the 50 BMG. Last I recall, the only crime had to do with a PP and/or perp in possession of one. It was not actually used to commit a crime.

Don't forget that people in general are pretty stupid regarding issues like this. Some of our own club officers have tried a couple times to ban 50 cal but each time have met vocal opposition from all of us opposed on principle (or reality).

Nobody needs a gun that big.

And, when that's been "handled," the next-largest is on the menu.

Baby steps.

Back
Top Bottom