• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Malloy's Budget Substantially Hikes Pistol Permit Fee

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has proposed more than quadrupling state pistol permit fees in his budget, a move that drew sharp criticism from the state's largest gun rights group.

The $70 fee paid to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for a five-year permit renewal would rise to $300. New permit applicants would see their costs increase from $140 to $370.

"When you consider just six years ago a five-year renewal was only $35, in six years we've seen a near tenfold increase," said Scott Wilson, president of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League.

The increase in pistol permit fees is expected to bring in an additional $9 million a year.

Wilson said he believes Malloy, a Democrat, "probably gave less consideration to gun owners" than other groups when he was working on his budget and deciding on what fees to hike."

"It's no secret that Gov. Malloy really does not care about gun rights or Second Amendment rights or gun owners in the state of Connecticut," he said.

Read More:
http://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-malloy-budget-pistol-permit-fee-story.html

How much is the voter registration fee? Do they charge if you want to speak out at a public forum? What other provisions of the Bill of Rights are subject to a permit that requires a fee and periodic renewal?

This might make it easier to mount a court challenge. One of the US territories tried to ban firearms through a punitive fee and the end result was firearm regulations in US territories getting gutted wholesale by a federal court.

This might make it easier to mount a court challenge. One of the US territories tried to ban firearms through a punitive fee and the end result was firearm regulations in US territories getting gutted wholesale by a federal court.
That was the $1000 fee on handgun purchaes in the Marianas Territorial Protectorate.

On the other hand, the action against the $1000ish fee for a NYC license was soundly rejected by the federal district court covering NY.

Probably not.

There is a big difference between the Northern Marianas Islands' handgun transaction tax and permit fee. The transaction tax was struck down because of its inherently punitive nature, particularly relative to the typical cost of the individual firearm it was applied thereto and the nature of wages in the Marianas islands. The Court described it as an "uncommon boundary" to the exercise of a constitutional right. The other thing to remember is that the tax was imposed immediately after the Court determined that the Northern Marianas Islands' outright ban on handguns was unconstitutional- presenting a very different set of factual circumstances.

In Connecticut, the increased fee is very clearly being presented as a more bonafide budget measure, similar to its last increase 6 years ago. A permit to carry is not needed to own a firearm or to even purchase one (though it can be used to facilitate the purchase of a firearm). The fee for an Eligibility Certificate is $35 (which was not increased last time the leigslature increased permit fees, and has not been proposed for increase yet) plus state and federal background check fees. [Eligibility Certificates were originally conceived when the legislature passed An Act Concerning Handgun Safety and eliminated the ability to purchase a pistol on a 2-week wait in 1994. In 2013 the Connecticut legislature created a long gun eligibility certificate as one of several mechanisms by which an individual could purchase long guns and ammunition. There are currently 2 types of eligibility certificates- pistol/revolver eligibility certificate and long gun eligibility certificates. The pistol/revolver eligibility certificate allows purchase of all firearms, legal magazines, and ammunition. The long gun eligibility certificate allows purchase of long guns, legal magazines, and ammunition. Neither allows carry of a handgun]

Last edited:
That was the $1000 fee on handgun purchaes in the Marianas Territorial Protectorate.

On the other hand, the action against the $1000ish fee for a NYC license was soundly rejected by the federal district court covering NY.

I was heavily involved with the first lawsuit in the CNMI in so far as the Radich case.

The $1000 fee was part of a re-write of their firearms laws as a result of the Radich lawsuit (the laws have since been reset again).

The legislative history with the $1000 fee was openly displayed as a punitive fee by the attorney general, the governor, and the senate.

In the NYC case, the fee was $340, New York argued that the fee was necessary to conduct the proper background check.

We all know this is bogus; however, this proposal in CT is in between the CNMI and NYC. The state police can easily process Pistol Permits at $70 a pop. To increase the fee over 400% for the purpose of covering the budget may not pass muster., especially if Trump gets his appointment on SCOTUS.

When would this change go into effect? I've been procrastinating on putting my paperwork together but maybe I shouldn't

Sometime after being passed by the legislature and signed into law by the governor....

New laws in Connecticut most commonly take effect on 1 January, 1 July, or 1 October. Without a specific bill that is submitted to the legislature, it would be impossible to guess.

Sometime after being passed by the legislature and signed into law by the governor....

New laws in Connecticut most commonly take effect on 1 January, 1 July, or 1 October. Without a specific bill that is submitted to the legislature, it would be impossible to guess.
Cool. I called the state to get an application packet. I should be able to beat July. I'm not likely to use it much but I like the idea of thumbing my nose at the governor

It's fairly obvious what this is: another backdoor gun control attempt via bureaucracy to make it cost prohibitive. Any other issue that so targets the poor/disadvantaged and civil rights groups would be all over it. Not this though, because "guns."

Well folks, we need to speak up. I know CCDL and CT Carry will be speaking up, they had better, but we also need to do so as citizens and constituents. I have emailed my state rep and my state senator. Both are pro 2a and endorsed by the NRA, even though the senator is a Dem, a rare thing in the moonbat shithole of a state.

I believe they will both fight it, especially my republican rep, but I wanted to make my voice heard anyway and encourage them to not overlook this issue. I know most CT residents are going to have very liberal representation but you still need to be heard. You still need to let them know you are pissed off and if they don't fight this they can forget about your vote/support. I know the support of gun owners means nothing to most pols in CT but it's the only leverage we have and we must try. I didn't save a copy of what I wrote but it was short and to the point.

Please contact your state rep and senator regarding this ridiculous attempt by the Governor to price CT residents out of our rights. It already costs well over $300 to get a pistol permit in CT by the time you get done with the NRA online course, a live fire class, town fees, state fees, background checks and fingerprints. Adding another $230 by increasing the state fee from $70 to $300 is ridiculous and it is discriminatory by denying lower income people the ability to afford a pistol permit.

This is what I wrote to my state rep:

Dear Representative Dubitsky,

I am writing to add my voice to yours regarding Governor Malloy's latest attack on our 2nd amendment rights. I am sure you oppose his ludicrous scheme to quadruple the fee for the CT state permit to carry pistols and revolvers and I just want to encourage you to fight this as hard as you can.

This is a shameless attempt by Governor Malloy to try to bail himself out of the budget disaster he continues to create and worse, he is trying to price CT residents out of their right to legally carry pistols and revolvers. CT is already among the states with the highest cost to obtain and maintain a pistol permit (which is unconstitutional to begin with in my opinion). Jacking up the cost at all is unjustified. Quadrupling it is completely outrageous.

Thank you for your time and your devoted service to your constituents like me. I truly appreciate the good work you are doing in Hartford.

Sincerely,

Carl in CT (no I didn't actually use my screen name)

And the response from his aid less than 3 hours later (Rep Dubitsky has actually emailed and called me personally in the past. This is the first time I have gotten an aid):

Hello Carl,

My name is Ed Schaeffer and I am Rep Dubitsky’s aide. Unfortunately this is true and the increase was included in the Governor’s biennium proposed budget that had been presented to the General Assembly last week. His proposal increases the original pistol permit cost from $140 to $370 and the renewal fee from $70 to $300. This fee increase is estimated to generate $9 million in revenue annually. I cannot say for certain if there will be a specific bill related to this proposal but Rep Dubitsky will definitely be working against it. Thank you and please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best

Ed

Ed Schaeffer
House Republican Office

I thought Malloy was a Republican.

He's a Democrat and is very involved in party activities. Last year and this he was Chair of the Democratic Governors Association. It's commonly believed that during the Obama years he was hoping for a federal appointment. It's also been rumored that he may be a future federal candidate. (Many expected him to receive a cabinet level appointment if Clinton was elected)

He's a Democrat and is very involved in party activities. Last year and this he was Chair of the Democratic Governors Association. It's commonly believed that during the Obama years he was hoping for a federal appointment. It's also been rumored that he may be a future federal candidate. (Many expected him to receive a cabinet level appointment if Clinton was elected)

He is dumb as a box of rocks, has taxed CT residents and businesses to death to the point that several polls show more than half of CT residents want to leave the state and we lost GE to Boston (that conservative business haven [rolleyes]), he loves to dump on gun owners at every chance and CT is on the verge of bankruptcy thanks to him driving businesses out and overspending on stupid social programs. Yup, he is the model Democrat.

He is dumb as a box of rocks, has taxed CT residents and businesses to death to the point that several polls show more than half of CT residents want to leave the state and we lost GE to Boston (that conservative business haven [rolleyes]), he loves to dump on gun owners at every chance and CT is on the verge of bankruptcy thanks to him driving businesses out and overspending on stupid social programs. Yup, he is the model Democrat.

[wave] You KNOW I was gonna say something, right? I hate Malloy. I hate what he's done to Connecticut as the head of the Democratic party. I hate the way he refuses to take any responsibility for the financial mess that Connecticut's in. I realize that he didn't create all of the mess, but he's done nothing to mitigate it, and he takes no ownership for it. He just keeps taxing and spending. The budget's a joke.

He passed the most incredible anti-gun legislation post Sandy Hook as "Emergency Legislation", and it's done nothing but penalize law-abiding and previously law-abiding gun owners.

Shot one of my ARs yesterday here in Georgia, busy collecting parts to build a couple of AR-pistols. Legally. Without any BS about "deadly assault weapons". My taxes are lower, my blood pressure's lower.

Yet they keep voting him in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the wealthy liberals who don't feel the economic crunch, 90% of the academics and 100% of the enormous entitlement population in CT are who keep voting for him and other Dems. My town is just over 50% Republican with some independents and 40-something% Dems. My town and most of the other rural towns voted Trump. As usual it's the arm pit cities that hold all of the voting power.

- - - Updated - - -

[wave] You KNOW I was gonna say something, right? I hate Malloy. I hate what he's done to Connecticut as the head of the Democratic party. I hate the way he refuses to take any responsibility for the financial mess that Connecticut's in. I realize that he didn't create all of the mess, but he's done nothing to mitigate it, and he takes no ownership for it. He just keeps taxing and spending. The budget's a joke.

He passed the most incredible anti-gun legislation post Sandy Hook as "Emergency Legislation", and it's done nothing but penalize law-abiding and previously law-abiding gun owners.

Shot one of my ARs yesterday here in Georgia, busy collecting parts to build a couple of AR-pistols. Legally. Without any BS about "deadly assault weapons". My taxes are lower, my blood pressure's lower.

Yeah, we are thinking of escaping too once some family obligations ease up in a few years.

Yeah, we are thinking of escaping too once some family obligations ease up in a few years.

Our lot in New Hampshire's been cleared and has a septic system. Well and (at least) barn should be going in post-mud. In two years, we should be there permanently and done with the Constipation State.

Our lot in New Hampshire's been cleared and has a septic system. Well and (at least) barn should be going in post-mud. In two years, we should be there permanently and done with the Constipation State.

Unfortunately I have family in NH so that's out for me. Yeah, I don't want to move closer to them. The family I have in CT are the ones I want to be around for now. They are older and when they are gone I will possibly look to move. Since I sold my snowmobile snow is no longer fun so I may look to go south.

Back
Top Bottom