Not very impressed with Eastern Security Safe - customer service

I had a day off today and one of the things I did was a trip to the Easter Security Safe in Mendon. I am looking for a safe for my house and since everyone here raves about ESS, I decided to have a look.

Well I wish I could say that my first visit there was a positive experience. Maybe it was the timing but the guy that I spoke with didn't seem to have all the much time to speak with me. Him and his pal were in the middle of unloading safes from a trailer when I came in. Because of that I had to wait close to 30 minutes before showed up on the sales floor. Once the guy came out from the back room, he didn't seem all that enthused to be speaking with me. Perhaps it was because I only have a $1000 budget and cannot get one of their "super duper" safes that cost $3000.

Since I have to move the safe myself, the only safe I was really interested in was the Dakota Interlock-XP modular safe ($899). This is the safe that comes in pieces so that it can be easily transported by one or two people. The safe itself was a disappointment but that's a different matter.

Anyway, I still need a safe but at this point I am hesitant to go back to ESS. I still need to get something I can move by myself or with one person (none of my "friends" are interested in helping me move an 800lb safe) so it has to be light or in pieces.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
No suggestions... but I will say that I went to ESS for the first time a few weeks ago. I was in the same position as you, considering the Dakota because I live in an apartment. I am looking at houses, though, so I wasn't really sold on cheaping out on a safe when in a year I'll want something bigger and nicer for my house.

The guy there wasn't especially friendly, but I didn't have a problem with him. He went over my options and showed me a bunch of safes, and answered several questions I had. In the end, I decided to hold off and wait until I have a house and he wasn't noticeably upset for me having just wasted about 30min of his time or anything.

They did have some sexy safes there, though...omg.

One thing that unnerved me about the Dakota was the fact that the hinges are on the outside. He assured me that it really didn't make a difference... but I dunno. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Last edited:
I see that you are in "south central Mass". If you can make it to the Millbury Shopping plaza on 146, go into Dicks. They had a couple GREAT deals on safes this week. I went in for something else on Sunday and although I have no need (yet) for another safe, I almost purchased one. I bought my safe from ESS a couple years ago at the sportsman show at the big E. after a buddy (actually 4) helped me pick it up and move it, one guy went to buy the same safe. It was $500 more at the store than i paid for it 2 weeks earlier.

So back to Dicks, while not the heaviest, best built safes, they had fire rated medium sized (I think 27 gun) safes for under $600

I bought my safe from Four Seasons. It was under $400 holds quite a bit. Unfortunately it is about 250lbs empty. I don't believe they deliver either.

One thing that unnerved me about the Dakota was the fact that the hinges are on the outside. He assured me that it really didn't make a difference... but I dunno. Seems like a bad idea to me.
Chances are the salesman spoke the truth, but he missed an opportunity by not showing you why this does not decrease security.

If the safe is of typical construction, removing the hinges will not allow removal of the door since there is either a deadlatch or active bolts on the hinge side of the door. Exterior hinge safes often allow for a wider opening of the door than internal hinged safes, and even provide a nice decoy for untrained would be box men.

As will all RSC (Residential Security Container) rated safes, the real weak point is the side door to the safe, not the front door which is generally the strongest part.

Ususally it's like Rob said, the hinges don't decrease security. I prefer them on the outside if possible so the door will open wider. Also, most times you can just lift the door off to lighten the safe when you need to move it. My small one is like that and it makes it much easier to move.

-Cuz.

ESS does indeed have some awesome safes. I just cannot afford most of them [sad]. My problem isn't so much the "where" but the "how". I am confident that I can get a decent safe for $1000 from many places such as Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dicks, etc. but I have no way of bringing it down to my basement via a bulkhead. Maybe if I had some decent friends I would get some help moving it. I guess they all bailed out after helping me move my wife's piano five years ago. ESS offers delivery service for additional cost which is beyond my budget. This is why I looked at the modular Dakota safe.

The Dakota safe is just OK. It is a decent size safe with customizable shelves. The hinges are indeed on the outside but the safe is constructed in such way that even if the hinges are removed, the door still cannot be opened (so says the manufacturer).

What I didn't like about it was the door handle which was very wobbly. Also when the door was closed, it wasn't very tight and I saw a lot of movement on the top portion of it. I was able to push it in about a 1/4 of an inch. The last thing I didn't like was a substantial gap on the top of of the safe where the panels meet on one of the sides. This could have been due to improper assembly but I cannot confirm that.

Not sure what to do.

I just bought this American Security Safe from Lowell Lock and Key in Lowell. They are great people, pro gun, and very helpful. It is a great product.

safe001.jpg

safe004.jpg

. but I have no way of bringing it down to my basement via a bulkhead.
I bought a Browning safe from KTP which weighs quite a bit. I wish I had the option of taking mine down stairs instead of up. If you can remove the door on the safe and your bottom door into your cellar two guys with the right technique should be able to do it. I helped a buddy do his. All you need after you remove the safe door is a furniture dolly, piece of plywood, and a blanket. I backed my buddies truck almost up to the bulkhead and with the safe secured to the dolly and the plywood on the stairs to prevent damage I lowered it off the truck. My buddy steadied the bottom of the dolly so it only went a little at a time. The blanket we had duct taped around the safe to protect the paint just in case. Took us 10 minutes and a 12 pack to finish the job. Going UP stairs is a lot harder.

I was at Dick's tonight and they had all safes on sale. Well atleast I think they were all on sale. I use a stack on 10 gun cabinet, but they had this nice Appartment size safe for $389. I wish I remembered the brand and name, as i checked the Dicks site and nothing jumped out at me..plus they are doing $5 curb side delivery on line..

I bought a Dakota from ESS at one of the gun shows, I think Springfield, it was a pleasant experience all in all. I was going to go there and pick it up myself but the salesman called and offered to deliver it for 50 bucks because they were in the area. I am very happy with the safe but when I buy a house I will put a pretty safe out where it can be seen and keep the Dakota somewhere else. It is now full and I need something else to get me by. Remember there is no sales tax on a safe- good luck convincing a salesperson at a mart store or Lowes of that.

I own a safe from lowes they are ok but good luck not paying the sales tax. The manager and regional area manager both told me they do not sell them as firearms safes they are executive safes so they are not exempt.

I own a safe from lowes they are ok but good luck not paying the sales tax. The manager and regional area manager both told me they do not sell them as firearms safes they are executive safes so they are not exempt.

That is absolute BS. I bought a safe at Lowes and there was no sales tax. I did have to assert the law though. The Executive safe says right on the box that it is a California approved Gun safe. It also says the gun capacity etc. It comes fully equipped with all gun mounting hardware.

I would contact Lowes Corporate and have them approve a refund, if they refuse then let them know that you will contact the Mass Dept of Revenue.

If it walks, talks, and smells like a duck... then it's a duck.

Do you know how long Dick's safe sale will be going on?

My buddy and I bought a couple of these this weekend for $599 each: 28-gun

The sales guy claimed the sale would go through to this weekend. The smaller (and lighter) models were also on sale. This safe is about 500lbs. I put mine in my basement (through the garage - no stairs) and we put his in his basement (down a bulkhead - we tied it off to his truck and backed it down).

As long as you don't have to go up stairs it's not really that bad with an appliance dolly. Theoretically we could have moved it without the door (which is like 150 of the 500 lbs), but we kept it in the packaging while moving it.

I know these aren't "real" safes, but it'll keep my kid out and my wife happy and that's pretty much what I was shooting for.

I can't say enough good things about eastern security, just got back from getting a dakota. In, out friendly quick service.

I ended up going back to ESS to buy the safe. I guess the guy behind the counter just isn't very chatty. Still, they have a good selection of safes so if I need another one I will probably go back.

I got the patriot one its about 700lbs.I got ot at the gun show at the shriners.I paid 1425 delivered.Very nice safe,plenty of room and the guy was very nice.He was also the one who delivered it too

I was at the Marlboro Show (actually I may have been there waiting while scooter was negotiating and paying for his) but the guy at the show was great. All I wanted was their handgun storage system that installs on the inside of the safe door. He did not have the size I needed with him but he took my name, address, email, phone number...quoted me a price then said he would call to arrange for payment and ship it to me...I'm still waiting for his call. If this is how they follow up on sales leads that may earn them business and profits I can't imagine how they feel about having to work and heloing someone with a problem!!

Took delivery of a large sportsman deluxe yesterday and it was a great experience. The drivers were responsible older guys who knew how to handle the difficult conditions - inclines, bad pavement, tight spaces - and had all the right equipment for delivering this very large heavy safe. They were fast. They were polite and they are good people. The safe is fantastic, double steel walls with thick fireproofing, a heavy dial lock, internal lighting and controls, all lagged down on a special dense rubber mat just where I want it. You have to spend some money and it's a sacrifice, but worth the peace of mind to have security for expensive firearms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom