Mossberg "590 Shockwave": factory-made 14" barrel non-NFA 12GA firearm

It isn't entirely unreasonable for these to be a "handgun" under state law

please stop calling the shockwave a pistol. by this logic then a car is a boat and a foot is a hand. please.
For the purposes of RSA 159, the Shockwave should be a "pistol" under New Hampshire law. There's no requirement for definitions in state law to match up with definitions in Federal law. Where there is explicit conflict the feds prevail, otherwise cognitive dissonance is not inherently unconstitutional.

I wonder how many FFLs incorrectly transfer these as "shotguns" vs "other"? Any pistol grip only (stock never having been on it) would be an "other".
FFLs do need to be aware of this, which is why BATFE wrote it up in the industry newsletter.

When I bought my Mossberg Cruiser last year to build one of these, the young guy behind the counter asked the owner why he was calling in to the state for a "shotgun"?

Owner pointed out the "Not for sale to a person under 21 years of age" text on the side of the box.

Last edited:
Make mine Cerakote (seems silly to refinish the AL receiver, leave the barrels blued)

Davidson's has a new model, #50658($400 street price): Mossberg 590 Marinecote Shockwave:
50658-1-large.jpg

Too bad the only 14" barrels Mossy makes are blued (parkerized), this really needs the full Marinecote treatment, or low-gloss Cerakote.

I was inspired by the wood furniture so out to the garage I went to make a set for it. I was unable to get a good photo with or without the flash but the stain is not that streaky.

image.jpg

I’m still looking for one if anybody can hook a brotha up in the Mass eastern block.

Make mine Cerakote (seems silly to refinish the AL receiver, leave the barrels blued)

Davidson's has a new model, #50658($400 street price): Mossberg 590 Marinecote Shockwave:
50658-1-large.jpg

Too bad the only 14" barrels Mossy makes are blued (parkerized), this really needs the full Marinecote treatment, or low-gloss Cerakote.

I spoke with Evan Napien about the Shockwave, he stared in NH its considered pistol and could be carried legally in a vehicle YMMV

I spoke with Evan Napien about the Shockwave, he stared in NH its considered pistol and could be carried legally in a vehicle YMMV

Well I hope that opinion comes from an official source that can be documented, heaven forbid some former corrections officer from MA who single handedly decides to write and enforce his own laws in Manchester should catch you with one....

NH isn't some magical place where we don't have any uneducated/misguided/bad cops who never decide to arrest somebody on a bogus charge, even when that person possesses an "opinion comes from an official source that can be documented". But doing so rarely ends well for the officer, and the charges "go away". I'll take that over anywhere else in New England.

But what we do have is mostly human-readable RSAs.

i shot one for the frist time this weekend. Neat gun does not recoil nearly as much as I thought it would. I blasted off a box of slugs no problem. I was debating a 20 gauge due to recoil but Id stick with 12 gauge

By the way, the FRB sent out a letter last week determining that the Mossberg Shockwave and similar guns such as the Remington Tac-14 are not legal to sell in MA because they fall under the definition of a "firearm," thereby governed the same as a handgun, and must be on the Approved Weapons Roster to sell (which they obviously are not).

They also stated, "At this time, our office is not aware of any such firearm having been submitted for consideration for placement on the Approved Weapons Roster, though FRB has sent letters to the manufacturers of several such weapons explaining the submission process."

Of course, they are still perfectly legal to own, but not legal for dealers to sell/transfer.

Google Evan Napien

I know who he is, and even though he is considered THE go to guy on gun law in these parts, I'd feel a whole lot better if he had a letter on state letterhead from someone in a position of authority stating that opinion.

What is the first thing any manufacturer does when they are developing something gun related?

Get an opinion in writing from BATFE !

I don't want to be the test case

What is the first thing any manufacturer does when they are developing something gun related? Get an opinion in writing from BATFE !
Unlike BATFE, I don't think the state of New Hampshire routinely issues formal opinions on the law.

I don't want to be the test case
It's New Hampshire, being the "test case" for something like RSA 215-A:20 or 207:7 is not going to ruin your life -- the charge would be a "violation", not a criminal charge.

See also:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/loaded-magazine-for-rifle-in-nh.110419/
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/mossberg-shockwave-loaded-in-vehicle.339616/

Last edited:
By the way, the FRB sent out a letter last week determining that the Mossberg Shockwave and similar guns such as the Remington Tac-14 are not legal to sell in MA because they fall under the definition of a "firearm," thereby governed the same as a handgun, and must be on the Approved Weapons Roster to sell (which they obviously are not).

They also stated, "At this time, our office is not aware of any such firearm having been submitted for consideration for placement on the Approved Weapons Roster, though FRB has sent letters to the manufacturers of several such weapons explaining the submission process."

Of course, they are still perfectly legal to own, but not legal for dealers to sell/transfer.

F*CK THIS STATE

One thing I didn't like about the first generation Mossberg shockwave was that it was only available in parkerized steel barrel with anodized aluminum receiver.

Mossberg has released two new Cerakote® 590 Shockwave models, initially available in Flat Dark Earth (FDE), and flat stainless.
47878-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Not to be outdone, Remington has decided to class up their TAC-14 with solid hardwood furniture:
53995-DEFAULT-l.jpg

What's an "MA compliant" Shockwave and how is it different from the standard one?

What's an "MA compliant" Shockwave and how is it different from the standard one?

the ad I saw said 18" barrel, so not really a shockwave so much as the pistol drip version sold here for years, but with the shockwave birdshead instead of the pistol style grip.

the ad I saw said 18" barrel, so not really a shockwave so much as the pistol drip version sold here for years, but with the shockwave birdshead instead of the pistol style grip.
Pretty stupid, although I guess it's a cheap way to get a 590 base and put a real stock on it.

If the Shockwave Edition is MA legal, wager on how long before Maura"fixes" that?

It already is "fixed" few/almost no dealers in MA have the balls to touch a shockwave. Under MGL its a "Firearm" or at least EOPS is saying it is and blah blah blah. (which makes it subject to all the handgun testing garbage). It doesn't violate AWB so no issues there.

Now if you had a remote and local dealer that had a couple big sets of brass balls and was willing to transfer in a frame from a broken down shockwave, then game on, but good luck getting anyone to play with that game.

Most of the people in MA who have these things are probably dual citizens.

-Mike

there seemed to be an opinion that even though it came from the manufacturer with that 14" barrel you could not NFA paper it to a SBS. Not sure the argument made sense to be, but it seemed to be consensus among those who are normally correct about MA law.

Back
Top Bottom