• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I swore to myself i would not get into a custom 10-22

mac1911

NES Member
So it starts.
I have had several 10-22s over the years. This is the first one that has shot well.
Has a early kid trigger . so my plan is to make it a "match" rifle with iron sights.
Will sport a globe front sight and either a lyman MJ 90 or redfield 75 rear match sight.
Just need a thinner reciever mount to center up the rear sight better.
10-22 match sight https://imgur.com/gallery/6uMgh

http://i.imgur.com/YT45h9Z.jpg
YT45h9Z.jpg

Last edited:
Yes hard not to do something to them.
I want good target sights with easy adjustability.
I always knew no matter how far back in the closet it goes it would creep out and mock me. Even dare me !

Now I to find a decent target stock with parallel comb so I can install adjustable comb kit.

Last edited:
Something like this, maybe not one that cost $275, that uses the scope rail would work better and be easier to install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anschutz-Su...erture-Excellent-All-Steel-Peep-/192076479809

I have looked into the rail mount style. I want the rear aperture to be as low as possible to get a good solid cheek weld. I rather offset the needed elevation with different height front globe sights.... I will most likely use this for fun 100-200 prone matches with friends.

Someday, I wanna build one from scratch.

Start collecting parts.

My wife looked in the safe the other night and said something like "When did you get all those AR's?".

My response was "Remember all those boxes marked 'AR Parts' I had in CT?". I'm not kidding. I had 6 sets of magpul furniture, purchased one set at a time. 6 lower parts kits, uppers, etc, etc. Collected over a period of years, labelled and put away until I was ready to build.

I'm collecting now for a scratch-built 10/22.

Start collecting parts.

My wife looked in the safe the other night and said something like "When did you get all those AR's?".

My response was "Remember all those boxes marked 'AR Parts' I had in CT?". I'm not kidding. I had 6 sets of magpul furniture, purchased one set at a time. 6 lower parts kits, uppers, etc, etc. Collected over a period of years, labelled and put away until I was ready to build.

I'm collecting now for a scratch-built 10/22.

I almost jumped at a 80% receiver and some other items.

My biggest problem is stocks. I still have not found one I like yet.
Maybe at some point I will by a beat up stock and use bondo/body filler to form the shape I want then send it off to a duplicator and have it cut out?

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! My did I open this thread?!? I am/was I should say on the fence with my 10/22 now I guess I will venture down too mac. Thanks [laugh]

Here's my general "plan"
I'm going for a 1940s-1960s style 22lr match gun on the lines of 22lr military trainers. Like the remington 513t, mossberg M44, Winchester 52 and the likes.
Full size stock heavy barrel and aperture match sights.

Williams briefly had a "kit" that came with everything
It was a FP-10-22 bull barrel target set. Was in their catalog briefly then vanished.
I will eventually call and find out but it's on the lines of what I am doing.
I prefer the Redfield or Lyman sights over Williams anyway.

Hmmmmm that sounds really interesting. Curious to hear progress and about completion. Best of luck my friend.

Here's my general "plan"
I'm going for a 1940s-1960s style 22lr match gun on the lines of 22lr military trainers. Like the remington 513t, mossberg M44, Winchester 52 and the likes.
Full size stock heavy barrel and aperture match sights.

Williams briefly had a "kit" that came with everything
It was a FP-10-22 bull barrel target set. Was in their catalog briefly then vanished.
I will eventually call and find out but it's on the lines of what I am doing.
I prefer the Redfield or Lyman sights over Williams anyway.

basically im going for something like this and I might even get a long ass barrel to match?
just for looks

I also want the ability to easily remove the rear sight to use a scope I have on quick detach mounts.

williams does make a few other sights that work but do not come off quickly like the lyman/refield style.

here are some different options. this attaches to scope base
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...ruger-10-22-44m-sku962000050-27350-45914.aspx
This one attaches to the side of the reciever but with "permanent" screws

the part number is FP-RU-TK factory part 1354

Last edited:
slowly getting there, sigh base installed

got a chance to install the sight base and the fromt globe.
I will most likely go with a bigger front globe like a 20 MJT lyman front globe
for now I have it ready for a test run. Now to look for a stock more suited to prone shooting.
still have to refine the stock a bit. sand it up....I took a good chunk out of the stock trying to cut it. Its hidden behind the sight.
On the new stock I will be more careful.

Last edited:
Went to range today and was able to run the 10/22 with the match sights.
I had the Redfield rear match all zeroed for another rifle so I used a willams FP sight today.
It does not have a lot of elevation and topped out at 25 yards.
I am happy took me 5 rounds to get it zeroed. And was able to easily put 5 rounds into 1/2"
Aiming dot and called it a day...to cold from shooting a match earlier. I let the rifle and ammo warm up in the truck after having a really frustrating day with 22lr on a cold day.

Need some help with decisions
20" heavy match barrel which ones.
GM,Kidd,federson ? Others.

Kidd guarantees 1" at 100 yards. I have a Kidd 20" bull barrel on my match 10/22 and when I shoot good it shoots great. I have shot 5 shot one hole groups at 50 yards with it and good ammo.
GM barrels are hit or miss in regards to accuracy. If you need pretty, Whistle Pig makes good barrels in a verity of colors as well.

Now im trying to decide if I should have a 3/8 dove tail cut or D&T for a front globe sight

P7vQcFkh.jpg

front base and globe sight ordered
KIDD 20" .920 blue barrel and new v block on the way.
Then its off to get the front mount installed
Im going ot have to put off the stock for now and make the factory stock work
2 of the stocks I had in mind are on back order....

Getting closer: Now to just get it over to Greg Derr to drill and tap the front sight base and relocate the receiver mount up higher for the rear sight. 26" sight radius

TQmxSZ1.jpg

Last edited:
Just got the email from Derr Precision that my little project 10/22 is done. Greg was nice enough to drill ad tap the front sight mount and relocate the rear to a higher spot. I could have done the receiver but for the price he charged was a no brainer to just let him do it.
Thank you greg!

Damn. You guys must have good eyes to see through those peep sights! I have trouble looking through my best scope!
Actually using the aperture sights helps a lot with shooting "iron sights" I have adjustable iris on the back so I can make the hole tiny or F'n Big depending on my eyes and the lighting. The front is real easy to use just center the black blob in the middle of the blurry ring the best I can. My eyes are not "bad" but getting worse every year

Lookin' good!

How much elevation do you think you can get? More than you need for 200 yards?

Pics when all together, of course. [thumbsup]

Lookin' good!

How much elevation do you think you can get? More than you need for 200 yards?

Pics when all together, of course. [thumbsup]

i ran out of elevation with the willims sight at 75 yards with the od barrel and front globe installed. While greg was doing the front sight i had him D&T the rear reciever to raise the rear mount. I "should" have plenty of elevation now for 200 yards.

Still have not found a stock I like yet.

Last edited:
9yntNuE.jpg

Well for now I will just have to live with the factory stock inletted for the .920" barrel. I have it free floated at the moment but may bed the barrel for a little extra support of the poor single action screw. The grip could be a little closer to the trigger for my hands and the curved smooth "recoil" pad has to go. A few sling swivels and she will be ready for a test run'

something like this when im done
mKSTUAb.jpg

Last edited:
7VFKLW4.jpg

So todays quick function test and "rough" zero went well. Only needed a touch of left windage and it looks like I will get the elevation I need to get out to 200 yards need about 6" high at 25 yards to get outto 200 yards.
I was aiming at the black bull and at almost the highest setting I was about 8" high.
simed about 15" low on the steel target at 100 yards and got several dings...so for function and rough zero im happy. Now to see what this barrel likes

Last edited:
moving on , bedding the stock

Since I will not be getting a stock anytime soon I had to modify the factory stock.
Cut out the barrel channel to make room for the .920" barrel. cut off the barrel band end.

Now since this stock is just something to use until I find or have a stock I like made its not pretty.

I started by bedding around the receiver especially the heal/horse shoe area and along the left side. This stock/receiver fit from the factory canted the action and barrel off to the right so I built up the left side of the stock/action fit.

Now I used clear epoxy ( I don't recommend it at all but I had several tubes) it worked well enough and shored up the movement on the receiver end. The barrel is more centered now in the barrel channel. Mind you the stock barrel channel, well the entire inletting from the factory was not true to any center line as far as I can tell.

I needed a bit more filling in the receiver area so I used JB weld for the finish touches and the barrel bedding. For the barrel bedding I decided to go with the balance point area to bed the barrel. It will support the barrel and receiver and I hope it provides just enough pressure to keep the action from rocking like a seesaw like it did from the factory
GurfxRo.jpg

A note on bedding compound. Most expoxy is very thin and the clear stuff makes it hard to see where you apply it but more important you cant see where it squeezes out or finds its way to where it does not belong.
Don't use anything with a quick set time. It forces you to rush. The JB weld that sets in five minutes is to quick. I have used it on several rifles but has created more work and problems with the fast setting time.
Now my first go around with the factory stock with no bedding and average ammo I was right at the MOA area. Nice ammo, stock and some dedicated time to shoot for groups im hoping for just under moa...or at least 10 ring at 200 yards!

Now to mount the sling swivel for the bipod

Last edited:
Looked decent when you had everything sitting in the stock.

What do you think about the stick type epoxy? The stuff that comes in two sticks or bars the consistency of firm putty?

Back
Top Bottom