• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WINTERSEED 2017 -- Harvard, MA 02/18/2017

Shooters! Less than a week to go, are you ready? Gear together and ready to go? There still time to practice getting into position, and get in some dry-fire practice. Review those 6 steps. Review those handouts.

For those still thinking about it, what are you waiting for? Come on out and shake off the winter doldrums!

As far as I know, and unfortunately, the 15/22 is still on the prohibited list.

A 10/22 loaner would be your best bet, unless you have and want to bring something in the .223 flavor, which tends to be more expensive to feed.

I just sent a PM to the powers-that-be requesting a status report on the 15/22 situation. Here is the reply, hot off the press...

"No resolution - and it doesn't look like S&W is working with us on it anymore. I'm guessing the ban will be in place for a long time to come."

Would this be OK for my first Appleseed event, or should I succumb to the intimidating pictures (piles and piles of snow) from the past 2 years?

It'll be FINE for a first Appleseed! These guys were out in Athol back in 2008, and FOUR of them qualified Rifleman. I know - that was my first shoot as a Shoot Boss in Training. It was 2 degrees on Saturday morning, and there was over a FOOT of crusty snow there. BTW... one of the Riflemen was FOURTEEN, and his dad and he drove up EACH DAY from New York State - 2-3 hours EACH WAY.

DSC01811.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

Of course! My first Appleseed was shot during the tail end of a tropical storm. Then again there have those who have said about me "That boy ain't right.."

A Rifleman will persevere in any weather.

Funny... Luv2BFree's second was during a tropical storm. Tropical Storm Danny, as a matter of fact, back in 2009. She's now a Shoot Boss in her own right... and I married her in 2014. Love blooms on the Appleseed Trail...

Woohoo, I'm signed up!

Will this be difficult with a bolt action Ruger American? In .22lr, I only have this and a 10/22 (but that's a special edition with an engraved stock so I don't really want to bang it around).

It won't be as easy as with a semi, but I've seen bolt gun shooters rack up scores of as high as a 246 on a rapid-fire AQT. It's NOT a contest; it's a CLASS. Shoot the bolt gun. Think of the bragging rights!!

Shooters, Less than 3 days and a wake-up left before Winterseed 2017! Given the weather forecast as of today, it appears that the shooters will bask in clear sky and relative warmth on the upside, and mud and slush on the downside.

A waterproof tarp would be recommended for under your shooting mat and to lay your rifle on. Also, it would probably be a good idea to bring some sort of towel to wipe the muddy grit out of the action, off the magazines, or off the rifle in general, and probably yourselves, should the need arise.

If you haven't signed up, What are you waiting for?

Should you be on the fence until Saturday you can show up and plunk down cash.

This is a 1 Day event:

$40 for adults
$15 for youths under 18

Checkin/Signup starts at 0800
Safety briefing at 0900 when we hit the ground running and open the firehose..

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who earned patches today! My son and I agreed that this was an awesome day, and plan to try this again very soon. We have a lot of homework to do. Thank you again to all the volunteers who put this together.

Saturday was a great event and we had a HUGE turnout for a Winterseed! 8 shooters overcame slipping, sliding, water and MUD to qualify as Winterseed Riflemen! It wasn't as cold as other Winterseeds I attended, but it certainly had its own set of challenges. Several shooters, Mr. Darth Raven especially, are nipping so close to a qualifying score that a little practice and another event (persistence!) will be all that's necessary to achieve a rifleman's score!

Many thanks to the volunteer staff. As always, it is an honor and a privilege to work with such a fine group of motivated patriots. They truly make the job look easy!

Thanks to all who participated. Your enthusiasm to learn is what makes this all worthwhile.

I hope you had as much fun as I did!

Come back and bring friends!

Last edited:
This was a great event...even though my wife qualified and I didn't. I have never been shooting with so many great rifle shooters on one line. Seeing people quality with bolt guns is very impressive.

A big thanks to all the volunteers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to the Appleseed staff for another great weekend! Started as a Winterseed with the snow and ice. But the day quickly turned into near spring-like conditions forcing the us to contend with icy, muddy, and swamp like conditions. Think about laying in an inch of freshly melted snow while holding back the shivers to keep your POA steady. Despite the variable conditions, there was some great shooting going on from the line. I was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom