• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe Placement... hardwood floor

jron

NES Member
So I am moving and the only real option for the safe us to put it on a hardwood floor. I was looking to pick some brains on the best way to protect the floor from the safe. It's a large safe apx 800 lbs.

i was thinking carpet pad underneath it. Just looking for what others have done

Just set it on the floor. It's not sinking into the hardwood and it won't scratch it if you don't try to slide it around. If you put a piece of carpet under it, the carpet backing will scratch the shit out of the floor and if you put the pile side down the safe will slide around.
When I help people move safes into their houses I bring a piece of carpet to lay it on and glide it into place and stand it up.

A piece of carpet underneath the safe would protect the floor from scratches, but might make it easy to slide the safe around.

A piece of plywood underneath the safe would protect the floor from dents and gouges but might make it easy to slide the safe around.

Some rubbery shelf liner under a piece of plywood with another piece of shelf liner between the plywood and safe would spread the load out and make the safe largely unmovable.

The rubbery stuff might have some longer term effects on the floor finish though. Probably not, but it might.

If you can, use an airsled to move it into place, then it is going to depend on what the bottom of your safe is like. Many are pretty flat and covering bottom in thick felt pad should be enough.

If it has leveling feet or wheels I would recommend putting it on a slightly oversized piece of cabinet grade plywood to spread the weight.

I would not use regular carpet remnants as the back side is often abrasive. Maybe something like Flor Squares (not a typeo, that is the company)

Last edited:
What about a high quality rubber gym floor tile or horse stall mat. I would think it would be up to task. Although i cant speak to the long term effects of the material on the hard wood.

If someone wants your safe badly, they are going to hook a chain around it and pull it through whatever with a truck, regardless of wether it is on hardwood or carpet, thereby destroying the house in the process.

I agree with lagging it down.

I'd get a piece of commercial carpet. It's thinner and more dense. Flip it over so the carpet is on the wood and the backing is what the safe is sitting on.

I recently put an 800lb Browning safe on my hardwood floor. Wife wouldn't let me bolt it down so I built a base a bit wider and deeper than the safe out of 4x4's and carpeted it on all sides. I bolted the safe to that. It does not slide on the floor at all. Since the base is wider than the door to the room it's in you can't get it out unless you are able to unbolt the base. It also had the benefit of adding 4" of height so I don't feel like I'm looking down into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have radiant floors, so I couldn't bolt my safe to the floor. Instead, I built a 2" high platform the exact size of the safe base, bolted the platform to the wall studs, and then bolted the safe bottom to the platform. It won't withstand a chain and truck, or hydraulic leverage, but it won't be moving with basic hand tools, and it didn't require drilling into the floor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

...and then lag it to the floor [wink]

I did that....safe on hardwood...lagged to wall and thru floor into unfinished basement....then I made a workshop in basement and finished the ceiling and walls and remembered the safe was lag bolted above lol....so if I ever move it will not be fun trying to undo those floor bolts

FWIW I have a beautiful yellow mark in my kitchen from when one of those anti-fatigue mats discolored the linoleum. Not sure what it would do to a hardwood floor over a long time but personally I would stick to carpet.

I would highly recommend a 1/2" thick snap together rubber floor square, but maybe a section of thin carpet under it?

I would highly recommend a 1/2" thick snap together rubber floor square, but maybe a section of thin carpet under it?

I recently threw away 20-30 of those FLOR carpet squares which are basically thin carpet with a firm rubbery plastic for the backing. Would have been perfect for a project like this.

Back
Top Bottom