1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Pentagon tests "MicroDrone Swarm" - Pretty sure I read this Michael Crichton book...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Frizzle Fry, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-successfully-tests-micro-drone-swarm-024318993.html

I guess "micro" is relative they're apparently 16cm long.

Either way, pretty sure they took this quote from a Michael Crichton book, word for word:

"The micro-drones demonstrated advanced swarm behaviors such as collective decision-making, adaptive formation flying and self-healing," it said.

"Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature," said William Roper, director of the Pentagon's Strategic Capabilities Office. "Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team."

Unsurprisingly it did not end well for most of the people in the book.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

fricken skynet coming soon to a conflict near you.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

That was a pretty good book. Crichton always added some social commentary to his books. Airframe was an awesome insight into how crash investigation works and how political it can be.

I forget the name of the book you speak of. They were nano-thingies, tho. I believe that was the book where he postulated that the Internet was going to homogenize the world and ensure no significant advancement because everyone was experiencing the epic same-ness. Breakouts occur in odd places and there would be no more odd places left.

It was fascinating.

He also theorized that evolution was on shaky ground in the 2nd or 3rd Jurassic Park book. Certain traits of certain species had to occur virtually simultaneously. It was an interesting observation.

4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I have seen this already, up in northern Maine during the spring. The drones looked like little black flies, though. Were driving the Moose crazy!

5. BeerGuy

BeerGuy NES Member

60 Minutes did a segment on it last Sunday. Pretty interesting debate about the autonomy of robots to take a human life without human input. Very muddy ethical waters ahead.

6. mclina

mclina NES Member

7. new guy

new guy NES Member

Nothing muddy about it, IMO.

8. jtnf

jtnf NES Member

Don't forget, "drone" takes on all new dimensions when you are talking about DOD - The Predator is a drone, and it is bigger than most lite general aviation aircraft.

9. OCB

OCB NES Member

I saw a demonstration by iRobot a number of years ago where they showed something similar, except the robots were all wheeled and about 6" cubes. They worked together to solve a problem (in this case, getting out of a maze). it was pretty amazing watching them all line up when one had found the way out of a particular part of the maze.

10. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

I think it was called "Prey".

11. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Autonomous, self-repairing robot swarms. What could go wrong?

12. new guy

new guy NES Member

Seriously. But hey, they're cool to watch. [laugh]

13. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

14. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Video is at least 4 years old, imagine the progress that's been made since then...

Some applications I can see is creating, programing kamikaze drones that could fly into the intakes of aircraft or fly en-mass into troop
    formations and detonate, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017 at 8:37 PM
  15. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Stargate replicators. Nanites from Star Trek. And those creepy floating arms from Lexx.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

16. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

I think both of those things happened in the Crichton book, to some degree.

17. robjax

robjax Member

Definition of the word "liberal" - "Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,"

1 person likes this.
  18. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Charging up my EMP

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. richc

richc NES Member

The 60 Minutes piece blew me away. Holy crap! 100 of them buzzing around the sky communicating and working as a team.

There are so many applications available. Think about farmers using a cluster of drones to go out and check on crops on a large scale farm. Or search and rescue missions in the forest. We're just scratching the surface!

Now for a funny story. I got a drone for Xmas a year ago. I really love flying it around.

I live close to my gun club and took to flying it down there as part of my testing and learning. Took some cool pics and eventually did an aerial survey for the club to see what's on all their land.

So I attend a meeting last year and the club president starts talking about all the communications he's received from club members. They've seen this drone flying around and the club members are speculating that we're under surveillance. They have pictures of this drone and are investigating.

So I meekly raise my hand and the club president calls on me. I say, "Mark, do you know what I got for Xmas???". He knows me too well and gives me one of those looks. Yup, Mark, I got a drone! Oh crap that was funny.

:)

1 person likes this.