• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nonresident question.

roccoracer

NES Member
Can I posses a muzzle loader in Connecticut without a license? My Dad wants to sell me his muzzle loader and we are meeting up in Connecticut this weekend. I want to be sure I can have it in the trunk of my car for my ride home.
Thank you very much

You can buy a muzzle loader (or other antique firearm) in Connecticut without a pistol permit or any type of eligibility certificate. As long as you aren't prohibited (i.e. based on convictions, psych status, or protective orders) you can possess a muzzle loading long gun, or most any other long gun (except an assault weapon) just about anywhere than school grounds/activities and at prohibited legislative venues, correctional facilities/ courthouses, and places that prohibit weapons. If the muzzle loader is a pistol, it can be transported without a permit to carry but it must be transported in the following manner:

means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

See CGS 29-35

You can possess, carry, hunt with, shoot, or do anything else with any AWB compliant long gun in CT with no permits or licenses of any type.

The only thing you can't do is buy one. There are no restrictions on the possession of long guns in CT.

Don

Back
Top Bottom