I'm off....constantly.

I've been shooting for about a year now. My aim hasn't pretty much not improved but it is extremely consistent. If the target is a clock and the center is a bullseye I am hitting between the bulls eyes and 7 within about 1-2 inch grouping. No matter how much I adjust I still hit that spot. It doesn't matter if I'm shotgun a .22 9 or ar15. Although AR is a little more on target. Im thinking about just moving the bullseye. Any other tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheel.gif

I only flinched when the two teenagers next to me rented a machine gun and were flipping it around trying to figure out how to fire it

Don't use those charts, they're a waste of time. Your best bet is to find a good instructor who will set your fundamentals right. If you want to see if you're flinching, get some snap caps and mix one or two into your magazine randomly and start shooting - the flinch will be obvious when you unexpectedly hit the inert round. Also, dry fire helps a lot, although there's no point in it if you're going to be practicing wrong fundamentals so again, find an instructor.

Don't use those charts, they're a waste of time.
Also, dry fire helps a lot,

This is good advice.

If you want to see if you're flinching, get some snap caps and mix one or two into your magazine randomly and start shooting - the flinch will be obvious when you unexpectedly hit the inert round.

This is terrible advice and a waste of time. Right up there with the bullseye centric charts.

Your best bet is to find a good instructor who will set your fundamentals right.

although there's no point in it if you're going to be practicing wrong fundamentals so again, find an instructor.

OK advice but harder than it sounds. If any instructor advises the chart or the ball and dummy drill, run away.

Shooting (range goofing off) is actually pretty easy. Hold the gun. Get a sight picture. Pull trigger without disturbing sight picture. Hold harder with your weak hand than you are now.

Get a Ben Stoeger or Brian Enos book. Much cheaper than a professional lesson and likely to yield better results and understanding of fundamentals.

Last edited:
Good advice but harder than it sounds. If any instructor advises the chart or the ball and dummy drill, run away.

The "ball and dummy drill" can be used once to show a pig headed shooter that they are in fact flinching after they continue to deny it. It is a tool in the instructors chest. Don't rely on it but it has its place. [wink]

Find a good instructor as stated above. Some how you 'learnt' something the wrong way. The more shooting you do the old/wrong way is not good for future learning and is a waste of ammo and $.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
The instructor advice is great if he can afford it. The snapcaps do work in my opinion. They give you a starting point. If you don't know what your doing wrong how do u fix it? You can tell someone what there doing wrong but it is better when you show them.

The ball & dummy drill can be used to great effect if you understand what part of the learning process you are in. I use it constantly when I teach. There is a point at which you need to shift it up though. I don't diagnose people over the Internet anymore. There are a couple things that AREN'T flinching that could be contributing to your issue. I teach out of Central Mass, but haven't done much since a neck injury I've been dealing with. I'll probably be back teaching by Spring.

Watch YouTube videos by Mike Seeklander, Frank Procto. And Ron Avery. Some of best instructors in country imo.

Or drive up to NH and train with Steve Gilchrest at SIG, or Seth Wish of On Target Training.

The "ball and dummy drill" can be used once to show a pig headed shooter that they are in fact flinching after they continue to deny it. It is a tool in the instructors chest. Don't rely on it but it has its place. [wink]

Find a good instructor as stated above. Some how you 'learnt' something the wrong way. The more shooting you do the old/wrong way is not good for future learning and is a waste of ammo and $.

Best of luck.

If you loaded my gun up with a couple dummies it would look like I flinch when I get to it, when in fact I'm simply reacting to expected recoil.

Am I pig headed?

If you confirm the gun is zeroed correctly, a group that is consistently low is evidence enough of a flinch.

Working through it via dryfire is IMO the best way to handle it. The ball and dummy drill teaches a shooter that they shouldn't be reacting to recoil - unless they're shooting Bullseye that's not something I could understand wanting to teach.

Dryfire is only good for certain things, and recoil management isn't one of them. I'm not talking about the ball & dummy in the context that you are. I'm talking about it in terms of building a clean press, and not mis timing that reaction to recoil. They'll learn the proper timinh eventually as I build them up to shooting faster.

A good instructor should be able to see difference between a flinch, and a proper timed post ignition push, especially with the teaching tools available today. Supermoto clued me in on that a long time ago, and I'm very grateful for that.

A good instructor should be able to see difference between a flinch, and a proper timed post ignition push, especially with the teaching tools available today. Supermoto clued me in on that a long time ago, and I'm very grateful for that.
Is that still true with a high-leverage grip though? I recently watched one of the top IDPA shooters in the region practice with a malfunctioning gun and every time the round didn't go off the gun didn't move at all - rock solid.

Is that still true with a high-leverage grip though? I recently watched one of the top IDPA shooters in the region practice with a malfunctioning gun and every time the round didn't go off the gun didn't move at all - rock solid.

That's certainly possible. I'd still be willing to bet that if you had that guy run 10 Bill drills in a row, as fast as he could run them, and then snuck a dummy round in there somewhere on one of his runs, you'd see some type of tension (not necessarily movement) tied directly to the timing of his trigger press if you filmed it in slow motion. Just my opinion. I think the human body is capable of some amazing timing if you run the same gun and shoot enough rounds. A post ignition push (again, in my experience) tends to leave the gun level. It looks like the person is tensing up to get punched. A flinch on video tends to break that parallel line of barrel to the ground. I'm sure there are guys out there that can do what you described, but I don't see it a lot.

Thanks. I am going to try and take a lesson to straighten this out. Maybe I can get a cop friend to help but if your not and instructor it's hard to teach someone

Thanks. I am going to try and take a lesson to straighten this out. Maybe I can get a cop friend to help but if your not and instructor it's hard to teach someone

If you are not shy:

Go green, take a few videos of your shooting from different angles and post them in the Members section or the Training section. There may be something that you have learned that is incorrect and is readily visible to some of the premier instructors that are on here. No joke. NES is very fortunate in that regard.

Best of luck and kudos for trying to improve.

A cop would be the last person I'd approach for help shooting better.

A cop would be the last person I'd approach for help shooting better.

Depends on the cop. I and many others has our butts kicked at CMP regionals by a guy from NYPD. Nice guy and very pro 2A, by the way. One of my LEO friends shoots the bare minimum for the job. So it depends...

Back
Top Bottom