• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions on Mag-na-port-ing A M&P pistol

Retired-LEO

NES Member
First off, not trying to debate if a firearm should be ported or not.

I just have a few questions, hoping to find out from people HERE who have a Mag-na-ported pistol.

#1) For the area that they remove the metal on the barrel and slide, is it their standard practice to touch up the metal on the holes? Or do they leave the stainless revealed?

#2) Any issues with function with cheap ammo, such as Winchester white box?

Any input from members who have Mag-na-ported pistols is appreciated!

Never heard of that company before, but just checked out the site. Pretty cool options that I didn't know existed before. thanks.

I'm going to step on a limb and say raw- a touchup would look shitty, you'd want to either run the contrasting colors or get the whole slide re-done.

Yeah unless they refinish the whole slide it's going to look lousy and probably won't hold up.

Sorry, can't comment directly on a Magnaport job for your M&P. However, generally speaking if the ports are near the front sight the sight may get quite dirty. Not a big deal unless you have a white dot, colored insert, or fiber optic. I have a Glock 23C with the factory ports. The ports definitely make it an easier shooting pistol.

Magnaport has been around forever and does quality work. I'd say thumbs up.

On my Sig 226 the Magnaport is clean and finished same color as the slide. No shine no marks, very nice work.

This is the first semi auto I had done and I was happy with the work.

Edit to add, the comment about sights getting dirty is incorrect. I have Tritium fiber optic on this Sig and have never had a problem. Of course I am shooting 357SIG so there is little or no residue.
I had a 38spl airlite TY revolver magnaported, never had a problem. I had a Pro Port S&W 66 with the port in front of the front sight, no problem.

Never had a problem with night vision as claimed by some, never had excessive flame out of the ports as claimed by some. I have a 40 barrel for this slide I will be sending in when they cut my 229 slide.

Last edited:
Forgot to answer your question 2. Cheap ammo will do nothing and the ports will most likely be ineffective since the muzzle velocity may not be there to even need the ports. The higher the gas pressure, the more the ports work. Again, I am a believer. If you need more pictures of my slide let me know

Forgot to answer your question 2. Cheap ammo will do nothing and the ports will most likely be ineffective since the muzzle velocity may not be there to even need the ports. The higher the gas pressure, the more the ports work. Again, I am a believer. If you need more pictures of my slide let me know

THANK YOU!

I have an old model Super Blackhawk that is Magna Ported. I wish it wasn't. All the crap that comes out of the ports turns the front sight gray.

I've 2 revolvers that are MagNaPorted a 44 mag and a 454 and the porting makes a huge difference,sights get dirty but a swipe with a rag or a solvent soaked patch solve the problem.

It's interesting for a big bore but for a 9mm I would not consider it. It renders the gun illegal for competition in most divisions, and creates a muzzle flash upwards into the line of vision.

Back
Top Bottom