• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

32 H&R using W231 with 115gr bullet?

Anyone use this combination or have any data on one?
I need to work up a mild cowboy load for a recoil-shy lady friend and would like to use the components I have on hand. I know the logical answer is to use a lighter bullet, but I'd like to use up the 1,000 or so 115 gr slugs I already have.

Piney, here's what I got from a friend...which is good because I just picked up two Ruger Vaquaro .32s this weekend. I'll have pictures up in the gallery sometime soon.

Anyway, hope that this helps.

DATA FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. ORIGINATOR HAS ABSOLUTELY NO LIABILITY FOR ITS USE WHATSOEVER.

I load 2.2 grains of TiteGroup, Starline 32H&R mag case, Northeast 115 grain LRNFP. I intend on working up a Clays load, just haven't had the time yet.

I know some folks load with W231 as;
2.4 grains of W231, Starline 32H&R mag case, Northeast 115 or 96 grain LRNFP.

Remember HP38 is W231.

Also, depending on the hardware that the lady loads are intended for, she can use 32 S&W's or 32 S&W Long's in a 32 H&R mag handgun. It's fairly easy to pick up some factory 32's for her to try out if you want to get her on the range and your time is limited for loading.

Thanks folks.
I worked up a load using 2.4 grains of W231 under those 115 gr bulets. Turns out to be extremely accurate in the Baby Vaquero with very light recoil. This load averages 659 FPS with an extreme spread (over 20 rounds) of 35.5 FPS, for a Standard Deviation of only 11.6 FPS. Talk about consistent!
(Now if I could just develop a light 45 Colt load to be that consistent!) [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom