• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next Shotgun Reccomendation?

MaverickNH

NES Member
I've done some 5-Stand and just tried Sporting Clays at Addieville Farms RI yesterday - I'm hooked!

My current 12g is a Stoeger STF 3000. It's had some problems - the ejector mechanism broke after a few hundred rounds. I sent it back and they replaced some parts and milled out the handguard for clearance. It came back, got a clean and lube, and broke again the same way in another 50rd. I guess I'll send it back again.

So I'm looking for a 2nd 12g o/u. I might try clays for a while. Under $1000k. Appreciate some recommendations.

CZ Redhead Premier... I have one that I bought online and been shooting trap with for about a year now. Thousands of rounds through it gun is flawless and won't break your bank at all. Probably find online for around $800

Buy yourself a nice semi, the Beretta 391, or Remington 1100 are great starting points and either can be had used in your price range.

When you're ready to spend north of $2500 we'll talk OU's

If your going to buy a 1000$ over under look for a used browning citori, Beretta or a older Charles Daly or muroku.
They will at least hold value and you just might unload it for what you paid. ...
The browning GTI was a underdog back a few years...

I wouldn't get an over under unless I was retired and going to the club to shoot trap, skeet or clays was my only life. In my opinion the only reason to have such a gun is if you are to lazy to pick up spent shells off the ground.
I have an Remington 870 and a beretta a400 that I use for sport shooting as well as deer and duck or goose hunting both are very versatile and accurate as I am that particular day; and I keep up with the regulars pretty well. Remember it's not the gun. It's the operator. Granted I would never buy a stoeger. But I tend to be a very cautious buyer and stoeger doesn't pass muster in my book.
Im sure you will agree after your own experience.

What do you guys think of Ruger Red Labels for O/U?

I also like the the suggestion of a auto for the versatility.

I'm watching this thread closely hoping to do more trap shooting and maybe some duck hunting.

I own three Rugers and they are really nice guns. I was dismayed to hear recently that Ruger is no longer willing to repair them but I am not sure if that is true. I sent one in a few years back and they repaired and rebuilt barrel select and safety mechanism no questions asked..........I've been hunting pheasants with my 20 ga and love it. I recently shot 3 rounds of trap with my 26" 12 gauge and it beat me up pretty good.

But my stock answer is...find a nice lightly used Ithaca Model 37 and you are done searching for the best utilitarian shotgun....Of course depending on gauge and choke but there are plenty of them out there.

My second/third choice would be 1100 or 870...............................

Last edited:
What do you guys think of Ruger Red Labels for O/U?

I also like the the suggestion of a auto for the versatility.

I'm watching this thread closely hoping to do more trap shooting and maybe some duck hunting.

From wikipedia:
Critics of the Red Label mostly complain about the weight of the shotgun or the poor fitting of the metal to wood.[SUP][3]
no personal experience.

honestly beretta makes the best shotguns in my experience. I'm sure you will hear plenty of other opinions as well.[/SUP]

I own three Rugers and they are really nice guns. I was dismayed to hear recently that Ruger is no longer willing to repair them but I am not sure if that is true. I sent one in a few years back and they repaired and rebuilt barrel select and safety mechanism no questions asked..........I've been hunting pheasants with my 20 ga and love it. I recently shot 3 rounds of trap with my 26" 12 gauge and it beat me up pretty good.

But my stock answer is...find a nice lightly used Ithaca Model 37 and you are done searching for the best utilitarian shotgun....Of course depending on gauge and choke but there are plenty of them out there.

My second/third choice would be 1100 or 870...............................

I don't remember exactly but I think any ruger shotgun that was made in NH is no longer serviceable through the factory?

If your looking for a do all shotgun a rem 1100 or 870 is hard to beat. You can find different barrels and stocks for any need.

1100 or 870. When you know more about how you shoot the games you choose, you'll know more about what you want to shoot. It's also likely that you'll have the opportunity to handle and try others' guns, and you might have an epiphany.

I run "field" shotties, in Club and ATA events. Dropping $2500+ on a new gun might increase my average 1-2%....and I'd still be a "C" shooter. My kid uses a Browning Trap gun.....but he's a A/AA shooter, and one or 2 birds/100 make a difference.

Low end O/U or SxS are not a bargain, as a general rule

I'm in a similar situation and was looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve II O/U Sport w/ Shell Ejectors which retails around $1000.

Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg Silver Reserve II?

Would mainly use it for trap and occasional deer hunting.

I'm in a similar situation and was looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve II O/U Sport w/ Shell Ejectors which retails around $1000.

Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg Silver Reserve II?

Would mainly use it for trap and occasional deer hunting.

Find a Browning citori field if your going hunting?

1100 or 870. When you know more about how you shoot the games you choose, you'll know more about what you want to shoot. It's also likely that you'll have the opportunity to handle and try others' guns, and you might have an epiphany.

I run "field" shotties, in Club and ATA events. Dropping $2500+ on a new gun might increase my average 1-2%....and I'd still be a "C" shooter. My kid uses a Browning Trap gun.....but he's a A/AA shooter, and one or 2 birds/100 make a difference.

Low end O/U or SxS are not a bargain, as a general rule

I would agree. Dropping lots of money doesn't get you magic results and when you are starting out you are not a great judge for what exactly "works" for you.

1) Show up at your club and try people's guns (many will be happy/insist you do)
2) Buy one that you like that fits your budget but realize you likely may not knock it out of the park with first choice
3) 1100 or 870 are very usable and you can find a used one for cheaper than a used O/U of sufficient quality.

Stoeger sent back my OU with minimum fixes - I guess it's a Dick's discount special made by Stoeger, so has some deficits...

As it turns out, my Father-in-Law left me his Rem 1100 on passing. So I'll give it a try. My Rem 870 is a short-barrel tactical version, so looks a bit to killy for Clays[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stoeger sent back my OU with minimum fixes - I guess it's a Dick's discount special made by Stoeger, so has some deficits...

As it turns out, my Father-in-Law left me his Rem 1100 on passing. So I'll give it a try. My Rem 870 is a short-barrel tactical version, so looks a bit to killy for Clays[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as it kills the clays...who cares? [laugh] Shoot what you got! At my Club we have a skeeter that uses a Tacticool toy of some brand, and another was running a DP-12 [shocked]

You're not going to find a good O/U for $1000 unless it has thousands of rounds through it. You can however get a decent semi-auto for that price.

And no a Stoeger or a CZ Turkish gun is not a good O/U.

Back
Top Bottom