.308? What do you load?

Dunno why you would want to beat yourself up with 175's and a zesty load in a .308 unless you were stretching out to 900 yards or more. For the M14 I'm loading only 41 to 43 grains of Varget for 155's, which leave much more space for powder than would the 175's. Started using 2520 in my M14 and get results close enough to Varget at similar charge weights. Under 1.2 MOA irons off the bench if I'm having an OK eyesight day.

K8TNNLy.jpg

Dunno why you would want to beat yourself up with 175's and a zesty load in a .308 unless you were stretching out to 900 yards or more. For the M14 I'm loading only 41 to 43 grains of Varget for 155's, which leave much more space for powder than would the 175's. Started using 2520 in my M14 and get results close enough to Varget at similar charge weights. Under 1.2 MOA irons off the bench if I'm having an OK eyesight day.

K8TNNLy.jpg
i tested this barrel with 140gr and 155gr - all spread pretty shitty with a 1:10 twist. closer to a 2" groups at a 100. not sure if it will improve.
ideally i want this 308 to be capable to shoot up to 600 with reasonable enough groups, so, both 168 and 175 would work. i have a bit - close to 1k i think, of those speer match 168gr and they are ok. i'm probably going to settle with them.

You know whats worse than coffee, being hungry, ! I find my eyes get tired quicker if drinking coffee.
Ed if you ever see me at the club grumpy because I have not doses up on caffine.
The 308 K98 might cone this match and Im not sure if im going to run that Creedmore or load up some 135 burners?
Normally I bring snacks- granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, etc. and always a couple big bottles of Gatorade. I'm driving 1.5 hours to get there so I really don't want to get up earlier than I already do to allow time for a club breakfast.

Normally I bring snacks- granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, etc. and always a couple big bottles of Gatorade. I'm driving 1.5 hours to get there so I really don't want to get up earlier than I already do to allow time for a club breakfast.
Believe eating a nasty McMuffin ( it was actually good) before a match is not a good start .
I generally eat small snacks also.

K8TNNLy.jpg
Maybe try a nice fat 200 gn cast load ?

Hahaha. Yeah I remember that. I bought the stock off you after that. Not a huge fan of the fat forend but I figure it’s always shot off a bipod and at the time they didn’t make a similar profile with a narrow forend.
I’m not selling it to the likes of you! 😂😂

I think it’s a 20”. At least that’s the specs I can find online. I have to check the actual rifle.

Well that’s good news. I didn’t want to get in too deep and have more in dies that I did into the rifle. After all it’s pretty much stock and who knows if a late model Remington is capable of great accuracy or not.

Though I did get the bolt fluted so that’s going to cut the group down considerably (sarcasm) 😂😂😂😂😂

View attachment 592232
What scope is that?

it took a rather long time as i did not really want to play with it, but, finally tested new 308 barrel with 175gr SMKs and it was not too bad.
but, of course, al those 175gr are off sale now with prices around 46c per bullet. 168 SMKs are still out there at lanbos at 25c - so will see how will those work.
168gr speer is still acceptable, but, not ideal - as can be seen below. i got them cheap at 18c somewhat.
43.5gr varget on 175gr SMK felt quite good and balanced, and grouped the best. 44.5gr was smacking buffer too much.
308.jpg

PS. it is a good example of what a cheap BA barrel can do if lapped into upper properly, i guess. it was a $195 on sale, Ballistic Advantage Modern Series 20" .308 Win HBAR Contour 1:10 Nitride AR-308 Barrel - Rifle - 5/8x24. an AR10 that does a ragged hole in the group of 7 - why not.

Last edited:
168 SMK passed with flying colors as well, and i gonna get more of it now as it is almost twice cheaper than a 175 SMK still, at lanbo. 45.5gr, 2695 fps - will do.
should be good up to 800yds, calc shows estimated 1394fps at 800.
308.jpg

Ok thread resurrection.

I scored some creedmoor sports Lapua brass loaded with 155s.

I took the rifle out once and only put a couple rounds down the tube.

I got the thinking I might be wanting in terms of scope. Should I be looking for more powder?

3.5-10 seems a little light.

Either way I need to get this sucker back out and do some shooting. @Broc you wanna do some 200/300 yard shooting?

I don’t have a creedmoor. I don’t know if the brotherhood will let us hang out anymore.

Ok thread resurrection.

I scored some creedmoor sports Lapua brass loaded with 155s.

I took the rifle out once and only put a couple rounds down the tube.

I got the thinking I might be wanting in terms of scope. Should I be looking for more powder?

3.5-10 seems a little light.

Either way I need to get this sucker back out and do some shooting. @Broc you wanna do some 200/300 yard shooting?

I don’t have a creedmoor. I don’t know if the brotherhood will let us hang out anymore.
Yes sir. I will let you know when I have the rifle set up.

depends upon how much you need to see - which depends upon how well does it group.
if you want to aim at the previous bullet hole in the anticipation for a rifle to hit at it - means a 1/4 MOA accuracy - then you want 25x at 100yds.
same as if you use a target with a 1" red center at 300yds - to see it OK you will need same 25x magnification. or better.

if rifle does a 1moa spread at its best - then a classic 308 3-18x scope will work well enough. or 4-16x.

for a ruger sfar in .308 i slapped a 1-6x vortex scope on and it is just damn perfect for it, one should be able to land a deer head shot at 100yds with it easy.
so it all depends.

depends upon how much you need to see - which depends upon how well does it group.
if you want to aim at the previous bullet hole in the anticipation for a rifle to hit at it - means a 1/4 MOA accuracy - then you want 25x at 100yds.
same as if you use a target with a 1" red center at 300yds - to see it OK you will need same 25x magnification. or better.

if rifle does a 1moa spread at its best - then a classic 308 3-18x scope will work well enough. or 4-16x.

for a ruger sfar in .308 i slapped a 1-6x vortex scope on and it is just damn perfect for it, one should be able to land a deer head shot at 100yds with it easy.
so it all depends.
I guess the question is if the 10x will give me enough magnification to know if it groups well.
Should be enough to see how she does at 100 but if I head out to 300 to get a better feel am I limiting the results due to my inability to see my target as well as I should?
Are you only using it for target shooting?

If YES, I would go with more.
It’s for when the zombie show up and I want to be the guy on the roof taking them out one by one. Competing against the guy with a 6.5 creedless that lives next door.

Should be enough to see how she does at 100 but if I head out to 300 to get a better feel am I limiting the results due to my inability to see my target as well as I should?
dunno.

it is really as simple as this - you are only able to aim at what you are able to see. most of those reticles will have a central dot, and that dot gonna cover some area depending upon scope magnification.

a 25x one at 300 covers about an 1". a 10x one will do about 3" or so.

if you cover 3" area, it is difficult to expect to hit anything within that area with better precision, even if your gun shoots 1/4 moa and is capable of under 1" groups at 300 - you will not really be able to do it if you cannot see it.

but if the goal was to hit a 6" plate at 300 - then, who cares. it will deliver just fine.
like most of us used to shoot military 4x scopes at a whole height targets at 500 meters just fine as well.

I guess the question is if the 10x will give me enough magnification to know if it groups well.

It’s for when the zombie show up and I want to be the guy on the roof taking them out one by one. Competing against the guy with a 6.5 creedless that lives next door.
the other and rather quite important part of scope dilemma is - a 5-25x scope will generally deliver way better picture at 16x magnification, than a 4-16x scope will be able to do.

Re think your zombie plan , save the good big ammo for those with guns trying to kill you.
You just need to poke zombies in the head , pencil, marbles with a sling shot, 22lr

the other and rather quite important part of scope dilemma is - a 5-25x scope will generally deliver way better picture at 16x magnification, than a 4-16x scope will be able to do.
All scopes will have a sweet spot its often NOT on high X
Also depending on focal plane
A second focal will have the reticle subtension at a specific magX
For example my sightron on 8x32x54 specific subtension is on 24x which gives my a .25 mow center dot and 2 moa hash marks
Learning what subtention is will help with any scope you have.

I have had my sightron out to 600 yards so far, unfortunately the game I was playing restricted to 10x but when your just centering up a 36” aiming black its fine.
I could see 22cal holes at 200 yards on 24x 32x got a little washed out.

As paul73 said—- what do you want to do with it.

I will ask : are you looking for hits on torso size target as far as you can see them or putting shots in the X ring.
The aiming black at 1000 yards iirc is 52” with a 10” 10 ring?

the only scope that shows me holes at 200 well is EP5 arken. with pst2 at 200/300 i need to use a spotting scope to see well where did it go, when i use my own printed targets.
At 300 unless using shootNc type targets I dont see shit. Rifle scope or spotting scope.

At 300 unless using shootNc type targets I dont see shit. Rifle scope or spotting scope.
arken ep5 is good enough to see holes in the wood or white part of a paper, and on a splash target, of course. but if the area is printed black - nope.
epl4 - nope, does not cut it. pst2 vortex - so so, on splash target, but, not on paper.

All scopes will have a sweet spot its often NOT on high X
Also depending on focal plane
A second focal will have the reticle subtension at a specific magX
For example my sightron on 8x32x54 specific subtension is on 24x which gives my a .25 mow center dot and 2 moa hash marks
Learning what subtention is will help with any scope you have.

I have had my sightron out to 600 yards so far, unfortunately the game I was playing restricted to 10x but when your just centering up a 36” aiming black its fine.
I could see 22cal holes at 200 yards on 24x 32x got a little washed out.

As paul73 said—- what do you want to do with it.

I will ask : are you looking for hits on torso size target as far as you can see them or putting shots in the X ring.
The aiming black at 1000 yards iirc is 52” with a 10” 10 ring?
Really I’m not a group shooter. I want to ring a 6” or so steel as far as I can reliably see it.

6” gets small quick. Lol
Agreed.
I only have 300 yards at my current range so let’s set that as the max range for the time being.

I’m going to take her out this weekend and shoot some paper at 100
Maybe I’ll borrow a rest to take some bad technique out of the equation. Right now I’m shooting from a bipod.

~1-1/8 MOA is about the limit for me with irons at 100 yds assuming the rifle will do better. I've shot sub half MOA with a custom XP-100 and I think the glass is 10X or 8X. Sure, 25X is easier to get good groups but 10X will work.

Agreed.
I only have 300 yards at my current range so let’s set that as the max range for the time being.

Maybe I’ll borrow a rest to take some bad technique out of the equation. Right now I’m shooting from a bipod.
10x is plenty. My favorite rest most of the time is my backpack. So you don't really need to borrow a rest. There is some technique to shooting off a bipod. I posted a good video a while ago, I'll see if I can find it and post it again.

Leupold 3.5-10 illuminated mil dot.

I was using a Leupold 3.5-10, non illuminated, back when ships were made out of wood, and men were made out of iron.

Agreed.

Here's a really good video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5hvm1tbDyg

Back
Top Bottom