• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 surplus ammo...

Is it just me or has the supply of .308 badly dried up? I can't seem to find any reasonably priced .308 (less than $10 a box) anywhere, whether surplus or new manufacture... Any stores that might carry this ammo?

Match Shot in gardner had a few SA battlepacks @ $39 ea the last
time I was up there. (140 rnds) There were at least 3 or 4 in the box.

Yes, the price is higher, but I tell you if I had the cash I would have
bought them all. Thing is that's still not a whole lot of ammo in the
grand scheme of things. I'm very pissed at myself a year or so ago for
not dipping into the abundance of the 308 milsurp out there. And I
only have a bolt action to feed... but the milsurp is a lot cheaper for
general blasting. No use in wasting FGM match if I don't have
to. One big problem with a lack of milsurp is that it puts up a huge
obstruction to wanting to buy a 308 semi rifle. I never thought I'd see
the day when M2 Ball (30-06 ammo) would be cheaper.

IMO this is one thing I wish the NRA would have tried to fix.. is to repeal that
dumbass clinton executive order saying that no USA DOD milsurp can come
back to civilian hands. Of course some of that is wishful thinking... as
most 7.62 x 51 ammo in govt stores probably gets burned out on a regular
basis, especially between afganistan and iraq, so there probably isnt
much surplus, except perhaps maybe from some NG units that have
M60s or something.

-Mike

I just saw a tin at Strickland & Son's in Berekely a few nights ago. Silver spam can type tin on the floor. I'm guessing it was gun shop pricey as usual gun shop ammo is, but like you said its getting harder to find. Plus I think he said something about having just sold several thousand rounds of .308.

Yeah, I just bought a Socom II and a VEPR with some vague idea that there was a bunch of surplus ammo around. I never owned a .308, but I kept thinking that I always saw a lot of cases at Collectors or Four Seasons etc. Turns out I got the last 6 packages from a battle pack at Collectors for $7.99 each and then bought several cases of UMC FMJ at about $10.00 a box. Oh well, I guess I will just shoot my AK's and SKS a bit more.

I bought my PSS a few years ago in .308 thinking that that was the most cost effective round to use (assuming that the .223 is worthless)

Now I wish I'd gone for something in 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Winchester Mag, because the price although higher isn't THAT much higher than commercial .308.

There is a post by a newbie who is selling 8 battle packs for SA ammo in Maine. It's an all-or-none buy.

Try it without a progressive press and only berdan primed cases.

As a matter of fact, I reload all my 308 on a single stage press. I get plenty of output to keep my guns fed. Also, you can reload berdan cases, but you need a special tool for depriming. Either that, or you can get reloadable brass from ebay!

Try it without a progressive press and only berdan primed cases.

My handy-dandy ammo making machine is a single stage.

If I start with pre-processed brass, I can probably load at least 1000 rounds in a week without trying hard. If I buckle down I can probably get closer to 2000.

As for the Berdan brass, it can be reprimed, but it is slow. Sell it for scrap value if you can't find someone to reprime it for you and buy Boxer primed brass with the money you make.

While I use a Dillon 550B for all of my reloading needs, for 223, 308 & 30-06, it functions pretty much as a single stage as I have all the cases prepared in advance and I measure each powder load. But my needs for rifle are much less than my handguns needs.

Back
Top Bottom