• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

308 Rem 700 1:11 1/4 twist 24 in

I am having issues developing a great load. I am currently loading with Varget, Win Brass, and Win primers, is with the 175 SMK

The throat on my rifle is extremely long. My lands are 3.356 so working up a load is difficult. I can pull off the lands by .010 with 44 grains and shoot a .276 from a bi-pod at 100yrd. However the problem lies in going the distance. When I move back to say, 266 yards adjust 3.2 MOA the spread is 4 inches. I don’t know what I am doing wrong but I have worked this load from powder charges for 41.2 to 45.5 and moved the jump from 3.339 to now 3.350. I know when my rifle is in harmony with the load due to the recoil and the smoothness of the kick but it seems like I am finding my self developing a load for each 100 yards.

I don’t know if I can communicate adequately about the harmony of the rifle. The recoils feels like everything is in tune. The muzzle jump to the recoil to the shoulder is like have a perfectly tuned guitar. There are two loads that will shot smooth 1. 42.2 grains at 3.339 ogive. 2. 44.1 at 3.346 finally 45.2 grains at 3.350 (last one is not the most in tune but does fairly well)

Any advice of why I would be see such a difference at changing distance. Brass is all sizes the same and everything is weighed out. It is aggravating when I can not develop a load better than the factor Federal SMK. As much as I shoot I thought by reloading I might save a little money. I was wrong esp when I get pissed and determine to create the best load for my rifle.

If any of you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI I do not have a chrono but if it helps at 44 grains at 3.346 my math should have a velocity of 2600-2650. I could be way off but this is what I have to work with. After shooting this many rounds I can only afford a pen and paper or else I would buy a chrono. lol
Good try.

I knew the op's story language sounded scammish but initially didnt seem like a blatant money grabbing scam. This scammer was more patient , make some friends first, then try and screw them . Well played . Great job mods !

Back
Top Bottom