• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

308 Reloading

I just completed my order with Midway for the rest of the reloading supplies that I will need to start reloading for rifle. Because I shoot my 308 the most, I went ahead and ordered the 308 dies.

Now, I need some suggestions on what powder works well with 308. Also, up to this point, I have only used Winchester primers. Any thoughts on weather I should try something different for this caliber?

Thanks
Adam

I've been using the following in my M1A:

Brass: either Lake City from CMP, or Black Hills
Bullet: Sierra 168 gr HPBT
Primer: CCI #34
Powder: IMR 4895 or 4064 (various grain amounts - mostly 46.5 grains, I believe, but I always go by the Sierra loading manual)

I'm still in the experimental stage myself, but these have worked well so far.

Winchester WLR Primers for sure.

WC 844 or 846 powder is good (and cheap). Next choice is Surplus 4895, then H4895 and IMR 4895.

Pulled M80 Ball Bullets. Next is Sierra's, 150, 168 grain for match loads, 165 Game King Hollow Points for hunting.

The standard MILSPEC Match load (M852) is 42 grains of 4895 and Sierra 168 gr Match King (International). This load is about MAX.

Adam, I'll E-Mail you some info. Too sensitive for posting.

I have a decent supply of WC844 on hand for 223 loads.

What is your load using that powder and a 168 grain bullet in a M1A?. I use CCI #34 primers in all my M1a and M-1 loadings.

WC844 is close to H335 and WC846 must be close to BL-C2.I have had very good luck using WC844 in my Remington 700 PSS 308 with a load of 41.0 gr., 168gr. Sierra Matchking and a CCI BR2 primer.

And, I've used 42 gr of WC846 with the 168 Sierra, using WLR primers and LC 65 Match Brass in the 308. My M14 really likes this load, and it duplicates M852 Match ammo. I've also used 42 gr of 4895 for this load.

I use only CCI#34 nato primers in all my military semi-auto's so slam-fires or going into full auto-mode won't occur from regular thin walled primers with floating firing pins. The CCI#34 are for large rifle and they make nato primers for the small rifle too(.223). If you shop around on the net you can find some places have them price the same as regular primers too and some places charge more for them.

I use IMR4895 powder in all my military semi-auto's too the burn rate is perfect for the cycle timming in the military semi-auto's too. If your going to use another powder try to stay near the burn rate of the IMR4895 so the cycle timming isn't upset. Using the wrong burn rate powder you will beat the gun up for no advantage.

Back
Top Bottom