• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 reloading

Ok so I have been reloading all my pistol ammo. I want to start reloading my .308 I don't want to produce large quantities but want to load some accurate loads for hunting and maybe some target. I don't mind taking my time. Like I said any small amounts at a time. For presses I have a Dillon xl650 and I also have a single stage Hornandy LNL. I also have a "TRIM-IT" trimmer that works off of a cordless drill. Would this trimmer work ok or would you recommend something else?
What else would I need for equipment? I found 2 die sets and 4 die sets. What do I really need? What brand would you recommend? Also what is the procedure for preparing the cases? I want my loads to be as accurate as possible and don't mind hand measuring each load if need be.
Thanks in advance
Mike

you need to buy the bushing for 308 for the trim it trimmer.
what type of rifle?
The LNL single state will make fine ammo.
start simple.....

I do have the .308 bushing for the trimmer. I also have one for 223. I have a Thompson Center venture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 47
nice.... case prep this will give you an idea
this is just one of many videos on case prep on you tube.

what claims of accuracy does TC make for the venture?
have you tried any factory match ammo like federal gold medal or black hills or hornady match.... you might see what different factory ammo does and then try to replicate that if any of them do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Hornady (actually it is a Pacific) single stage press, Redding Competition neck die and seating die, titanium sizing bushing, a primer pocket cleaner, Hornady case trimmer with chamfer/debur attachments and Lapua brass. The brass was originally trimmed to length and has given me about 8 reloads with out having to trim a second time.

Depending on what kind of accuracy you are looking for, there may be a few other things to buy, but I find I can tighten my groups about 80% by using the right bullet, powder, brass and primer combination. The remaining 20% is a combination of tweaking so many other things with such small gains that I usually don't do them unless I am shooting 6mm ppc.

Dave

As far as die sets go its really a personal preference and/or needs. The four die set usually has a full length sizer, a bullet seating die, neck-seizing die, and a crimp die. The neck sizing die is usefull in bolt guns and single shots. The case is "fireformed" in the chamber, and then only the neck is resized, allowing a more custom fit. Doing this also works the brass less, and it lasts longer and also requires less trimming. I see some positive results in some applications, but not all. FWIW, you can neck size a case with just a standard full length sizing die also, you just don't screw the die in as far to work the body or touch the shoulders. The seating die is pretty self explanatory. A crimp die, thats another personal preference. I didn't crimp any rifle rounds for years and never had a problem, never experienced any set-back, even with malfunctions. I do it now because I run a progressive and the station is there, so why not. I dont see a difference either way, but it does add some insurance I suppose.

As for the brand of die....again, what fits your needs. You don't need a redding competition seating die, even though they are nice. I'm partial to Lee Dies. I love the lock ring on them, and more importantly the adjustment knobs. That, and the die sets come with load data, and a shell holder. I was in a hurry one time and barely made it to the store before they closed, and all they had for 30-30 dies that I needed were RCBS dies. I got the dies, came home, ready to load, and WTF!! no shell holder! I was soooo pissed. I mean, who sells a die with no shell holder? Your dies are useless without the shell holder, is it going to kill RCBS to pitch in a 3.00 shell holder with their die sets? It's like buying a drill and then having to buy a chuck key for it or something. That and adjusting them is a PITA, little dinky slotted stem with a small lock nut, you have to hold the stem still with a small screwdriver and loosen the lock nut....ugh. Lee dies adjust as simple as turning a radio knob. Im not a fan of RCBS, though many people love and use them with great success and they will do a fabulous job. Back to that whole personal preference thing.

You didn't mention it, but another tool you will need is an inside/outside deburring tool to deburr and chamfer the inside/outside of your case necks after trimming. Lyman sells a great all in one tool that has the screw in attachments for cleaning large and small primer pockets, reaming large and small primimer pockets, and deburring/chamfering inside and outside of case neck. The handle stored all the attachments, its a comfortable tool to use and does a very nice job, and its very affordable at less than 20.00. Its a steal for all that it does.

The link posted above my post is the tool I was talking about.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hunting bullet/load (for deer), and a practice/target round?

155gr Sierra match kings and 48gr of Varget 3000fps, also 110gr Vmaxs or Sierras HPs, with as much Varget or H4895 you can stuff in that case, they are a blast to shoot and make for excellent varmint round.

Dean

hornady V Max or even varmint bullets do well out of my 30-06 . Vmax can be found for the same price as the match bullets if you want to paper punch with them.....

Please don't use SMK's for hunting deer. They may be accurate, but they are not meant for quick kills. Absolutely no expansion.

Please don't use SMK's for hunting deer. They may be accurate, but they are not meant for quick kills. Absolutely no expansion.

I was waiting for someone to mention this. Aren't SMKs full metal jacket? I'd imagine you'd want a soft point/polymer tip round? As Mac said the Vmax bullets would be good. The prices on Vmax bullets aren't that bad especially if you buy a bulk amount online.

Last edited:
Match Kings, or any other hollow point match bullet behave exactly like a fmj bullet and are not reliable killers.

Reloader 15 and IMR4064 are excellent powder in my experience.

My FN really likes 175gr sierra match kings, 168s also work well.

CCI benchrest primers

I use redding competition dies in a redding single stage.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Has anyone tried Hornady SST?

I got a box of them (165gr) at Dicks, haven't shot them yet, but looks like I could get the bullets for about $28/100

Back
Top Bottom