• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 or another 5.56 for AR build…please help me decide

While there are good arguments out there for the less-popular calibers, the fact is that in a pinch, it'll be easier to find .308 than .300 blackout or any other exotic caliber. .308 is everywhere albeit still hard to find at a reasonable cost. It is on the shelves and in the basements of many shooters out there. Don't forget, a rife without ammo is nothing more than a club.

Your first/only AR should be in 5.56.

My next one will be in 6.8 SPCII.

I agree. You really should build in the standard .223/5.56 platform for a first rifle to learn the platform as it was designed, then venture into more difficult build with exotic calibers. The other benefit is that if you are somehow left with only the single build because of finances, or other reasons, at least you will have the most universal rifle to feed as well as infinite options for replacement parts and accessories. I definitely want to do a .308 build at some point though, just for fun.

I did most of my first build in 5.56 and am about to do my second in 308. Its money to finish the projects that is slowing them down. Their is alot of information on the web on how to do it! Watched several videos on youtube and did alot of reading! I suggest you plan out where you want to spend your money for the type of rifle you want to build. Some parts are alot more $$$ than others. If you want a great company out of CO which will give you custom laser art work on your rifle with graphics and give you a custom serial # and fire control lettering PM me and I will give it to you. My only negitive about them is their is a wait on the build of you want a billet upper and lower. Their forged lowers and uppers get done quickly!

Prone off a bipod. That is what I love about the Grendel. It shoots way better than I do. The reason it works for me is because I have access to ammo, and components to reload so it is not a problem for me. Also, I can actually shoot out at ranges past 100 yards where I live (1200 yards in some places). That being said, tailor the tool for the job. I don't trust 5.56 so I won't build one, which is why I have an M1A scout. I have seen what 308 does to people, and I have seen what 223 does to people. As for the necessity if blue helmets come calling; I am reminded of Sam Elliot's character (CSM Basil Plumley) from "We Were Soldiers". Something about if I need one there will be plenty lying around.

Don't listen to those saying you SHOULD build a 5.56 AR before building a .308 because they're different. (should you HAVE a 5.56 before a .308? maybe) The parts get assembled the same, they're just bigger.

The only thing to keep in mind is that there are two standards the parts are made to and they are not interchangeable; DPMS standard and Armalite standard.

So pick a standard, stick to it, and go to town. My first build was a .308 (because I already had an off the shelf 5.56). I had no idea what I was doing but followed online instructions and youtube videos for 5.56 builds. The steps were the same.

I could be wrong, but from my research it seemed the Armalite standard parts were a bit more expensive. This could of just been because of the time period I was buying my parts though.

Not to steer you away from a build, but look into the M&P-10 off the shelf .308 rifles. I could almost buy two of them for the price of my build. lol. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I have an AR built by my brother who now resides in the peoples republic of MA. We went 6.5 Grendel. Has pros and cons, but I grouped under 1/2" verticle and just over 1/2"horizontal at 100yds using 130grn swift scirroco II at 2500fps (reloads) at the muzzle. I am comfortable out past 700 with the rifle and live in an area where I can actually shoot at those ranges. After Iraq and Afghanistan, I won't do 5.56 with it's lack of performance in the field. The only 308 I have is an M1A scout and that thing is my baby. Carried an M14 in Iraq thankfully and the EBR in Afghanistan which made me a much happier individual. As for the discussion; I haven't met anyone who wasn't happy with their AR-10 type (with the exception of ammo cost).

Have you shot the 300 blackout and if so would you choose the 6.5 gredel or 300 blk? Ive been looking at both for a while but have not shot either.

American Infidel 19

In my opinion, the 300 blackout is the perfect SBR/"Sub gun replacement" round, and pointless in a regular length rifle.

6.5 is too boutique to be worth my time.

Mike

a REALLY awkward, heavy club.

to inform all of you of my decision...i believe i've decided on buying one of each...when I get to it, i get to it, but i'll HAVE it...might actually buy ONE more 5.56 lower too...

With buying both your build can go in the direction of what Cal you can get the parts you want first. I didnt want to wait 8-+ months for a barrel for my ar varmint style build. I found the barrel I wanted here and there but far more expensive than normal. I actually purchased a upper that has the barrel I wanted then purchased a free float tube to mimic what I was after. This turned out to be less expensive than my build plan!. I like the 308 ar. I just like the cost of shooting the 223 better. I can shoot my plinking reloads for. 13 cents each or my match loads at approx. 28 cents ea.....

Last edited:
So...my best option came up clear. I'm buying a lightly used M&P 10 from a very generous NES'r and a full QD upper lower set (+ key mod rail) from the group buy so I can build on a 5.56 platform for practice and get all the tools, plus have a starter .308 with a lifetime warranty...can't beat that with a bat.

so from the group buy, I'm getting a QD upper/lower/7" key mod rail, and I'm going to make an M4 variant, as my other shelf bough AR is an M16 variant with a rifle length gas system and a SS barrel.

It'll be fun to have a bunch of different rifles to shoot. I kinda went shitty on the spending recently, but it's ****ing Christmas, right?

Have you shot the 300 blackout and if so would you choose the 6.5 gredel or 300 blk? Ive been looking at both for a while but have not shot either.

I have shot both and both perform admirably for their specific functions. If you don't have a suppressor or SBR, and want to shoot farther than 200 yds effectively, I wouldn't pick the 300BLK. It is not a new concept, but a repolished AK round. Do a side by side comparison of ballistics and you will see what I am talking about. 6.5 Grendel performance is probably the best bang for the dimensions of the AR-15 you are going to get. That being said, if you don't have access to reloading components, it isn't worth it. Also, magazines are not interchangeable with standard AR types, so that is a pain in the ass. Hornady makes great AMAX ammo for it, if you can find it. I shoot 6.5 Grendel because I can get ammo for it and I have a good stockpile of magazines.

There is a DPMS LR308 in the Classifieds right now. I'd buy that before I went through the trouble to build one; there are a few headaches associated with .308 builds that can make you tear your hair out. The DPMS rifles are good to go out of the box and are very accurate.

**I have no association with the seller of that rifle, nor have I seen it**

300 Whisper/Blackout is a good option if your primary focus is suppressed shooting. Other than that, walk on by.

6.5 is a great diameter. You must handload for it.

I built an AR10 off Armalite receivers and BCG and a noveske barrel. A couple hundred rounds with no cleaning and zero issues of any type. Also the tightest fitting upper and lower Ive ever handled.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I built an AR10 off Armalite receivers and BCG and a noveske barrel. A couple hundred rounds with no cleaning and zero issues of any type. Also the tightest fitting upper and lower Ive ever handled.

Mike

How do you like that barrel? I have heard good things about them. As far as the Armalite receiver, am I correct in that PMags don't work for them?

The barrel is better than me...

AR10A variants work with the original waffle mags as well as sr25 mags to include pmags. Thats the variant I got. The uppers and lowers must match for the sr25 pattern mags.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom