308 M1 project...sneak peak

308 build ran well for all but one problem.
I had a round bypass the clip on shot 5 of the rapids. Got the 10 rounds off.
Over all for a rifle I only had 10 rounds through before the match I'm happy. This rifle needs a trigger job badly. First shot was high 8 ring and took the 5 sighters to walk it in some.
I think with a few more rounds through it and a little load development it will shoot better very soon. Also could use a nice stock set.

so the first 45 rounds through the new barrel did ok.

My score for the slow fire prone. hard to see the pasters. 1st shot was a 8 high then I walked it down. Not to bad and about what I expected with the platform and my skills. anything under 4 moa is a decent day for me under 3 im doing good
uUkSiaqh.jpg

Thanks for the pic Derek

Last edited:
Mac try 41.5gr H4895 + 168gr seated to 2.800"

Then buy a box of Creedmoore 167gr match and prepare to be amazed.

I have shot creedmor ammo and it's a pretty good deal at the moment. Although I'm not going to buy any more unless it's for a truly accurate rifle.
I don't $1+ per round ammo is going to afford me much better groups. I'm a 3 moa shooter with sling in prone position some times I can get into the sub 3moa zone. Even with my NM AR that can shoot sub moa from the bench with a scope is only good for 3moa in my hands.
I have said and told many people right now creedmoor is one of the better deals in match ammo.
Make sure you get the lapua brass and bullet ammo.
They have other "practice" ammo that's good but just not the value lapua brass/bullet/powder is right now.

I'm,actually moving in another direction. Lighter bullets and powder charges. Basically going to find a load that will function and accuracy good enough for 200 yards. That's all I will be shooting anyway.

the 167 I recommended is Lapua brass and bullet. I'll post a pic of my target using it vs my hand loads I thought were accurate.

This is from my garand that I recently re barreled with that barrel you saw me get from CMP forums for short money. That was like a brand new barrel when we checked the headspace. I put it on my ww2 vintage service grade that had a 1950s era barrel on it. This is at 100 yds off a sandbag at the bench with the std iron sights. The first shots I took were my reloads which are the hits between about 11 and 1 oclock with a flyer down below. The cluster in the center is the next clip which was the 167gr creedmoore with one flyer. I couldn't believe what I saw thru the spotting scope and had to go get the target to confirm. Now I'm trying to replicate that load.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20170821_142400380_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170821_142400380_HDR.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Very impressive I'm still to cheap to even try Cheaper to buy the creedmoor vs reload though.
Papua brass if your lucky is .80
The 167 I,have not seen less than .40
I'm not sure what they use for powder but I lean towards one of the VV powders. Most likely match primers? When you find the magic let me know.

Just found this. I am also interested in 308. could 308 be used in Garand match? I thought that most Garand match are "as issued".

Just found this. I am also interested in 308. could 308 be used in Garand match? I thought that most Garand match are "as issued".

308 can be used in service rifle, modern military ( is supposed to be new ruling for 2018), Unlimited garand match.
Remember CMP events will allow you to shoot "any" rifle as long as there is room on a relay. You just shoot "out of competition" basically meaning you don't get the medals/prizes/trinkets/41 sec of bragging rights[wink]

Very impressive I'm still to cheap to even try Cheaper to buy the creedmoor vs reload though.
Papua brass if your lucky is .80
The 167 I,have not seen less than .40
I'm not sure what they use for powder but I lean towards one of the VV powders. Most likely match primers? When you find the magic let me know.

Well I've got some nice HXP brass from the 80s to load as well as all flavors of commercial and some brand new Starline. I'm just using S&B primers, they should be good enough. Got some 167s on sale the other day, I think they were 44cents each. Powders I've got H4895, Varget, I4064 and AA4064 so I should be able to come up with some recipe that gets close unless they're using unicorn dust in their cases.

Well I've got some nice HXP brass from the 80s to load as well as all flavors of commercial and some brand new Starline. I'm just using S&B primers, they should be good enough. Got some 167s on sale the other day, I think they were 44cents each. Powders I've got H4895, Varget, I4064 and AA4064 so I should be able to come up with some recipe that gets close unless they're using unicorn dust in their cases.
creedmoor is code for unicorn dust and fairy magic.
If you have the time Crony some creedmoor then crony your reloads.

Last edited:
I'll try to get some chrony data Creedmoor vs. reloads- if I still have some Creedmoor left...

Back
Top Bottom