• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

308 M1 project...sneak peak

Hey, get that thing running for the Oct OCSA match. Or November if I'm away that week...

Hey, get that thing running for the Oct OCSA match. Or November if I'm away that week...

The barrel and the rifle I pick for the project will be going to Franco Sunday. Was going to barrel myself
but I don't see myself doing 308s barrels often enough to buy the pull through reamer $170 plus shipping and the head space gauges. Renting the reamer was not much cheaper than having Franco do it. Now to decide which rifle gets the upgrade.

The rifle getting the transplant will be a Aug/Sept 1943 SA with a 1962 SA barrel that gauges MW -2 TE-3 in pretty good shape and has lots of post war replacement parts many have no markings. its been reparked in what some might call "greek black" It has some pitting below wood line. The trigger is not that great steady 6# pull and its a long way back. breaks pretty clean though.

Sounds like a good choice for the project. You could fix that trigger pretty quickly and cheaply.

Sounds like a good choice for the project. You could fix that trigger pretty quickly and cheaply.

Yes the garand trigger is pretty "easy" to work on. Tight pins are a must also....Remove as much "slop" as possible then work the hooks a touch and its like night and day.

Im going to try and rework the locking lugs on the trigger guard. I have a refinished WWII trigger guard but the lugs are worn. I hope i van just peen them over a bit ? Im surprised theres no "replacement" lugs. they look pressed in ? maybe silver soldered in place ?

Yes the garand trigger is pretty "easy" to work on. Tight pins are a must also....Remove as much "slop" as possible then work the hooks a touch and its like night and day.

Im going to try and rework the locking lugs on the trigger guard. I have a refinished WWII trigger guard but the lugs are worn. I hope i van just peen them over a bit ? Im surprised theres no "replacement" lugs. they look pressed in ? maybe silver soldered in place ?

Most lugs are brazed in place, some are staked from the inside. If brazed, you could removed them, rotate and re-braze. My untrained eye says the lugs are 0.1875"D x 0.200"L if you wanted to make them.

Most lugs are brazed in place, some are staked from the inside. If brazed, you could removed them, rotate and re-braze. My untrained eye says the lugs are 0.1875"D x 0.200"L if you wanted to make them.

I often had thought about making some and swage them in place with the 20 ton press if that's enough?

Have dies, brass needs prep but ready to go.
My first test run will be 41 grains of Varget 168 grain Nosler CC. Of course I will try some light loads at some point like some 110/125 bullets.
For now just a function test and a ball park on accuracy.

all done and rady to go

I hope to get out next week for a test run. I wish I had a nice new stock to put it on. This late 60s HRA stock will have to do. its a bit loose but not sloppy.

HapA0An.jpg

Not the best pic but less than 0 on the gauge
Srj2G7Qh.jpg

Nice fresh crown
fVNe7pah.jpg

what would it be with out the hypno tech bore shot !

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out today. 10 rounds mostly for function.
I was expecting a little worse with the USGI stock and rough trigger.
1st 2 shots went high and right then I adjusted 2 clicks left and 2 clicks down.
Pulled one shot low and left.
With a new stock and trigger work and once the barrel settles in it will be a great shooter. https://i.imgur.com/lipQBKH.jpg

lipQBKHl.jpg

I measured my fired cases
I resized and bumped the shoulders back 1.62 the 10 fired cases are 1.628-1.631" max with av of 1.629

Last edited:
Got out today. 10 rounds mostly for function.
I was expecting a little worse with the USGI stock and rough trigger.
1st 2 shots went high and right then I adjusted 2 clicks left and 2 clicks down.
Pulled one shot low and left.
With a new stock and trigger work and once the barrel settles in it will be a great shooter. https://i.imgur.com/lipQBKH.jpg

lipQBKHl.jpg

I measured my fired cases
I resized and bumped the shoulders back 1.62 the 10 fired cases are 1.628-1.631" max with av of 1.629

Nice! Maybe shoot the 308's at the November match? Assuming its a MM match, they would be in competition.

Nice! Maybe shoot the 308's at the November match? Assuming its a MM match, they would be in competition.

trying to get a hold of another new stock. dont think i would have it ready by nov. Im not sure what im going to do. I may shoot it this next match ? Although i really want to see if I can beat my garand as issued score this year....I need to get into the 280s
current high scrore is 277

So I'm going to try to get the bore scope working one more time. (before ordering another one) I will post the video of the "after" 10 shot function test barrel "break in"
Then I will apply some sweets 762 and see how much copper comes out. Clean it and get ready for the next match. Might be Oct or Nov ?

MAc what are you using for a 308 load?

I'm not sure yet. I used 168s and Varget for my test loads but honestly if I can cut the recoil down bit and find a load that just cycles 100% I will use something like the 110-125 grain bullet and Varget for now as I have a good amount of it. I may order some H4895 and another popular 308/garand powder ? Then of course I will explore cast loads at some point.

MAc what are you using for a 308 load?

I'm not sure yet. I used 168s and Varget for my test loads but honestly if I can cut the recoil down bit and find a load that just cycles 100% I will use something like the 110-125 grain bullet and Varget for now as I have a good amount of it. I may order some H4895 and another popular 308/garand powder ? Then of course I will explore cast loads at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice- looking forward to seeing it. .308's for the November Modern Military?

That's my plan

1st 10 round cleaning

I cant say if this is good or bad. Bore scope is completely dead now.
after 10 rounds for function and rough zero, Sweets 762 scrubbed with bore mop. Let it soak for 20 min and this is what came out.
Gave it a quick patch clean with Gunzilla and its ready for the nov cmp match
QbLVkNs.jpg

Filled the rear aperture with jb weld. Started with a 3/64 drill for a .0469" hole to small for my eyes, not enough light.
tried a #55 and a #53 still a bot dark and had the "cobwebs" went to 1/16 .062" its a bit better and only some time behind the rifle will tell.

Back
Top Bottom