.308 bullet for 600 + yds

I have a rem 700 sps 1:10 twist, I have been doing some reading on long range bullets and I have seen most people are talking alot about 175 SMK for 1000 yds. I have been reloading 168 serrira HPBT and been pretty good grouping at 100 yds I am new to LR comp and looking for advice.
Thank you
Craig

Where are you going to shoot long range? Forbes?

Forbes is the closest place that I know of that shoots long range. Nashua and Reading are only 600, so unfortunately no long range matches there.

I'm a service rifle (AR) guy, but the few M14 guys that I know shoot 168's at 600. With your slightly (2") longer barrel [STRIKE=and faster twist]and faster twist[/STRIKE]* you ~might~ be able to get the heavier stuff moving fast enough to be worthwhile, but I don't think that's a guarantee. Certainly worth a try though.

With that said, if you're shooting Palma, you can only use 155 grain .308 bullets anyway and if you're not shooting Palma there are other longrange (and even midrange) calibers that are "better" than .308. Either way, you'll probably have a hard time keeping up with a stock 700 SPS, but if you're just shooting for fun that's cool.

* Actually most of the M14 match grade rifles are 1:10.

Last edited:
Cool ... like I said i am new to this and just getting my feet wet so maybe i will start with mid range and work my way up

Yeah, you could definitely have fun shooting some midrange prone matches with that rifle. The first one around here is on May 11th at Nashua. There's also a 3X600 on May 18th in Nashua and another 3X600 on May 19th at Reading. Any or all would be good matches to start with.

both 175 gr match kings and 168 match kings out of my 1/10 twist r700 preform great at 600 yards. But the 175 grains hold a tighter group. If I remember right 175 smk have a higher bc so they will hold speed longer and be less affected by wind drift

ok sweet... so what is 3x600 any/any?

Basically it's three 20 round 600 yard prone matches back to back to back. You'll see everyone from plain old service rifle shooters to F-class guys with custom rifles show up. I usually shoot my service rifle for practice, but sometimes I'll shoot F-TR for fun. (Basically tactical rifle - bipods and glass are allowed.)

Nashua's Website said:
3 X 600 Any / Any: Cost $20.00
Non NRA Approved: No scores will be sent to the NRA for classification for these matches
Any NRA Approved Match, Open or F-Class Rifle that also conforms to NFGA Range Rules
Match 1: 30 Minutes for unlimited sighters and 20 record shots
Match 2: 22 Minutes for 2 sighters and 20 record shots
Match 3: 22 Minutes for 2 sighters and 20 record shots
Contact Bruce Browne: [email protected]
http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/NFGA 2013 HighPower Schedule.pdf

I always used 168's for everything from 200 out to 600. If I had stuck with the M14 I would have worked up three loads: a puffy 125gr for 200, 168gr for 300, and 175gr for 600.

Back
Top Bottom