308. AR build

Barrel, BCG, upper receiver, lower receiver.
Basically the same as a regular .223 AR, but bigger.

I built what I would consider a great rifle for around 1700 sans glass.

There are more "compatibility issues" with the 308 AR platform vs the AR15. Though two basic formats are "Armalite" and "DPMS" and there are a few others out there that take different mags. To my knowledge Armalite is the only one who uses forged receivers. The Armalite AR10 takes modified M14 magazines, the AR10A takes DPMS/SR25/Original AR10 pattern magazines.

Mike

Last edited:
I built what I would consider a great rifle for around 1700 sans glass.

There are more "compatibility issues" with the 308 AR platform vs the AR15. Though two basic formats are "Armalite" and "DPMS" and there are a few others out there that take different mags. To my knowledge Armalite is the only one who uses forged receivers. The Armalite AR10 takes modified M14 magazines, the AR10A takes DPMS/SR25/Original AR10 pattern magazines.

Mike

You have any pics you could share with us ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question of building an AR in .308 vrs buying one ready to mod has been asked so many times. The .308AR is not anywhere the same animal as the .223AR. With the .223, virtually every part made by every mfgr will swap in. With the .308 the rule is just the opposite. There are more than two types out there, too. In my book, it makes more sense to buy a good one and then modify it to your specs. It's a lot cheaper in the long run and you'll have a shooting rifle from day one without worrying about the bolt fitting, the proper buffer tube/stock or the mate between dissimilar uppers and lowers. I went the DPMS .308LRB route and never looked back. It's the long range in .308 with an 18" bull barrel. Wonderful, reliable, tack driver with surplus. Just trying to save you from pulling your hair out.

Rome

The question of building an AR in .308 vrs buying one ready to mod has been asked so many times. The .308AR is not anywhere the same animal as the .223AR. With the .223, virtually every part made by every mfgr will swap in. With the .308 the rule is just the opposite. There are more than two types out there, too. In my book, it makes more sense to buy a good one and then modify it to your specs. It's a lot cheaper in the long run and you'll have a shooting rifle from day one without worrying about the bolt fitting, the proper buffer tube/stock or the mate between dissimilar uppers and lowers. I went the DPMS .308LRB route and never looked back. It's the long range in .308 with an 18" bull barrel. Wonderful, reliable, tack driver with surplus. Just trying to save you from pulling your hair out.

Rome

I had no problem building one from the ground up. Just make sure the uppers and lowers match, the handguard and barrel nut match either the dpms or armalite patrern, and the BCG and Barrel extension match. The latter situation is contested as well. Its not all that hard.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Moopey built one here.

ah shit son, that's me! I built what I feel is a quality rifle, and it's currently up $2300ish without glass and a Harris bi-pod. It could be done for less money. For instance, my barrel was $400, muzzle break was $200, trigger was $60 (on top of LPK), phase 5 tactical bolt catch was $60, bi-pod was $125.

So there's room to lower that final price and still have quality rifle. The barrel is a 16" with rifle length gas system.

Don't let the fact that .308's are not as interchangeable as standard AR's scare you away. It's pretty simple, pick a platform (Armalite AR-10 or DMPS) and stick with it. Only buy parts specifically listed for said platform and you'll be fine. After that it all goes together. My .308 build was my first

Back
Top Bottom