• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

4 months, 7 days processing time for a non resident ltc in CT UPDATED !

HarryPottar

NES Member
I took the non resident CT license course at MFS on Saturday January 23rd.

Sent in my application the following week January 30th.

I had not received any communication, so last night, April 6th I email the SLFU and received a response this morning.

[shocked]
"Sir: We received your application on 02/04/16 and it takes about 4 months.
We will mail it out to you once it's completed."

It is what it is, but 4 months seems excessive, I will be a good little wizard and wait but thought I should update processing times for anyone waiting for their CT LTC.

harry

Last edited:
It is what it is, but 4 months seems excessive, I will be a good little wizard and wait but thought I should update processing times for anyone waiting for their CT LTC.

When I got my permit many years ago it took a little over 3 months to process. A few extra weeks these days doesn't seem excessive, considering that they are supposedly processing more permit applications these days.

Last edited:

I had not received any communication, so last night, April 6th I email the SLFU and received a response this morning.

[shocked]

harry

Friends of mine just got their CT resident permits. Applied December 23rd; received March 21st. They were getting pretty antsy. I helped by reminding them that it took me less than a week to get my Georgia permit. I'm like that to my friends.

Friends of mine just got their CT resident permits. Applied December 23rd; received March 21st. They were getting pretty antsy. I helped by reminding them that it took me less than a week to get my Georgia permit. I'm like that to my friends.

On a RESIDENT permit, that is entirely the fault of the local PD.

A student of mine got his (in Clinton, CT) back in 2 weeks.

Don

On a RESIDENT permit, that is entirely the fault of the local PD.

A student of mine got his (in Clinton, CT) back in 2 weeks.

Don

CT's pretty fcked up like that. It's very much at the discretion of the local police chief how quickly your application gets processed. Or not.

Copied from http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494614 "The guidelines for obtaining both a local and state pistol permit are contained in C.G.S., sec. 29-28, 29-28a, and 28-29...
The issuing authority has 8 weeks to review your application and approve or deny. A denial may be appealed to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners as provide in C.G.S. Section 29-32."

First, when filing an application I would recommend mentioning to the police department that you are aware of this section of the law that requires them to approve or deny the application. You may be surprised at how quickly your application is turned around.
Second, If they take longer than 8 weeks, notify the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners. They keep records of departments that are taking over 8 weeks.

[shocked]

harry

You want excessive? Try getting a Ma Non resident permit. Be glad that the process of getting the CT permit is relatively easy and the cost and length of time are the same as our resident permits.

Copied from http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494614 "The guidelines for obtaining both a local and state pistol permit are contained in C.G.S., sec. 29-28, 29-28a, and 28-29...
The issuing authority has 8 weeks to review your application and approve or deny. A denial may be appealed to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners as provide in C.G.S. Section 29-32."

First, when filing an application I would recommend mentioning to the police department that you are aware of this section of the law that requires them to approve or deny the application. You may be surprised at how quickly your application is turned around.
Second, If they take longer than 8 weeks, notify the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners. They keep records of departments that are taking over 8 weeks.

I mentioned this to my friend; he wasn't inclined to pursue it. He likes to fly under the radar as much as possible.

CT's pretty fcked up like that. It's very much at the discretion of the local police chief how quickly your application gets processed. Or not.

At least CT is effectively Shall Issue. Even for a non resident. And its good for 5 (or is it 7) years. Not 1 year like MA.

Woda - the 8 week limit law has no provisions for either civil or criminal penalties against the licensing authority if they do exceed 8 weeks. So while it does help to mention that you are aware of this, and that you are willing to go to the BFPE, you don't really want to go to the BFPE if you can avoid it since its a several month wait just to get a hearing.

Do you need to take a separate course for the NR license? I took an NRA Basic Pistol class at Boston Firearms

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes, you have to take a live fire course that as been approved by CT.

I took mine at Mass Firearms School in Holliston MA.

They go over CT law, live fire at their range. They also have the forms which you fill out in class and they notarize. Take pictures, copy your home state LTC etc.

All inclusive class, you come away ready to add the fee and post off to CT.

Highly recommended.

Harry

Guitarman - NRA Basic Pistol meets the requirements for CT.

Harry - MA does not require live fire. So some MA classes won't do it for CT.

NRA Basic Pistol meets requirements of both. The only caveat is that in MA the NRA Basic Pistol must have been taught by a MA certified instructor. So your NRA Basic Pistol class taken in CT by someone who is probably not a MA credentialed instructor, probably won't work in MA.

CT does not credential instructors. So any NRA certified instructor teaching NRA Basic Pistol is good with CT.

Guitarman - NRA Basic Pistol meets the requirements for CT.

Harry - MA does not require live fire. So some MA classes won't do it for CT.

NRA Basic Pistol meets requirements of both. The only caveat is that in MA the NRA Basic Pistol must have been taught by a MA certified instructor. So your NRA Basic Pistol class taken in CT by someone who is probably not a MA credentialed instructor, probably won't work in MA.

CT does not credential instructors. So any NRA certified instructor teaching NRA Basic Pistol is good with CT.

Thanks for the reply, to clarify I took the class specifically for CT non residents at MFS.

I'm not an expert, I just took the course, we where given and told to include a copy of proof of the class certification.

I have no clue if it as any bearing or not but I did include it as asked.

thanks
harry

The following is intended to be for academic/educational/informational purposes only and is not intended to advise anybody.

Woda - the 8 week limit law has no provisions for either civil or criminal penalties against the licensing authority if they do exceed 8 weeks. So while it does help to mention that you are aware of this, and that you are willing to go to the BFPE, you don't really want to go to the BFPE if you can avoid it since its a several month wait just to get a hearing.

To expand on that a little bit more. In Amborgio v. Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, et-al (42 CS 157) [Chief Ambrogio's 2d case that made it to the court, on this type of issue] the superior court made a few important statements:

(As of the 2d Ambrogio case, there had been no appellate jurisprudence involving the particular statute, only a case before the Superior Court, which also had involved a time denial appeal by Donald Henriques which occurred during a time when there had been delays in processing reportedly because of an issue involving FBI fingerprint processing)

(1) Based on tests of mandates applicable to government agencies described in Teamsters v. Shapiro, the time-limit is directory, not mandatory. The Court in Ambrogio described that directory mandates describe what should usually happen. The default status of a government mandate is directory. It is mandatory "...only when the government intended for the duty not to be performed at all, except within the time provided." (Zoning Board of Appeals v. Freedom of Information Commission, 158 Conn 498, 1986)
(2) The legislature's intent, with respect to the perscribed time limit was to promote reasonable return times
(3) strict interpretation of the time limit negates the material intention of the statute
(4) processing must be done in a reasonable and diligent manner

(The court vacated an order issued by the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners ordering Chief Ambrogio to issue a permit to an appellant who claimed denial on the basis of time-delay).

My full, handwritten notes, are published at: http://mp510sd.weebly.com/uploads/4/4/9/2/4492446/ambrogio_notes.pdf

A scan of the published decision is uploaded elsewhere on that website.

Last edited:
JAD - thanks for the history!

Don - last time I spoke with BFPE (about a year and half ago) the wait time was more than a year for a hearing

Woda - your info re wait times is about right.

Thats why I said you don't want to go to the BFPE if you can avoid it.
I have heard that they are processing these kinds of issues faster now, when there are no facts in dispute. But I couldn't give specifics.

JAD - THANK YOU for the citations.

I got impatient yesterday and decided to email the SLFU.

The response;
It looks like everything has cleared. We issue permits in the order they are received.
Your permit should go out in the next week or so.

It's great news it's on it's way but boy did that seem to take for ever.

Once I have this in hand I intended to go chat to a couple of licensing officers in Rhode Island to see what my chances are.

Great. I'll be taking the NRA basic pistol class next week so I can finally mail out my application. I sent it out back in September but it was sent back since my MA safety class wasn't sufficient. Glad to hear I won't get it until the fall when I'll be done working in Waterbury, CT....

Finally received my CT license today. [smile]

Sent in my application January 30th.

They received your application on 02/04/16

Received today June 10th.

127 days or 4 months, 7 days between receipt of application by CT and in my hands.

[grin]

Finally received my CT license today. [smile]

Sent in my application January 30th.

They received your application on 02/04/16

Received today June 10th.

127 days or 4 months, 7 days between receipt of application by CT and in my hands.

[grin]

congrats. CT is only good in CT?

From what I understand, INAL.

Honors CT Permit:
Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah

That's not bad. Just wondering if those states hone the CT resident only or the CT non-resident as well.

I live very close to the RI border and ride all the time in RI and CT.

My next challenge which I'm preparing for is to attempt to get RI license.

I accept the challenge

its good to hear you finally got yours- I sent mine out April 7th and I'm still waiting.... I guess if i use your timeline as reference I'll miss all chances to shoot in CT this summer [rolleyes]

its good to hear you finally got yours- I sent mine out April 7th and I'm still waiting.... I guess if i use your timeline as reference I'll miss all chances to shoot in CT this summer [rolleyes]

Don't forget. There is a carve out for both competition and training.

Don

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or any Department of Motor Vehicles inspector appointed under section 14-8 and certified pursuant to section 7-294d, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser’s residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person’s household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person’s place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person’s place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors’ group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, “formal pistol or revolver training” means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and “transporting a pistol or revolver” means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

Yep. Maybe I'll get mine by Christmas (mailed it last month)....Can't wait to work in lovely Waterbury next month...

Just received Ct State Permit to Carry. in mail when I got home from looking at some land in NH.
Time frame sent app out April 6 they received April 8
Got the full application back on April 19 Glitch with NRA Basic of pistol shooting certificate
fixed sent out they received on April 22
Issue date was July 28
So 114 days from April 8 or
100 days from April 22

Woody

Back
Top Bottom