• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Form 4 wait times

I didn't see a thread dedicated to Form 4 wait times so I figured I would start one. If this is a dupe, let me know where the original is and we can shut this one down.

I'll start us off:

Item: Silencer
Method: F4/Trust
Form 4 mailed: 10/30/2015
Check cashed: 11/6/2015
Pending: 11/6/2015
Approved: 2/20/2016
Examiner: Brittany Brown
Date it arrived in the mail: 2/29/2016
Days Pending: 106
Total Wait: 151 days

Last edited:
nfatracker.com ?
The same could be said for Form 1 wait times but we have a thread for that. Also, NFATracker is, in my opinion, good for getting a general feel for the trend but it's difficult to separate out the real data points from the false ones. I've seen several entries there that I think just have to be false. Besides all that, it's good to see when those local to me are getting NFA toys :)

I didn't see a thread dedicated to Form 4 wait times so I figured I would start one. If this is a dupe, let me know where the original is and we can shut this one down.

I'll start us off:

Form 4 mailed: 10/30/2015
Check cashed: 11/6/2015
Pending: 11/6/2015
Approved: 2/20/2016
Examiner: ????
Date it arrived in the mail: TBD
Days Pending: 106
Total Wait: TBD

It was approved 2/20 and you haven't received it yet? What step is there between approval and them mailing it that takes a MONTH?

It was approved 2/20 and you haven't received it yet? What step is there between approval and them mailing it that takes a MONTH?
That's right -- the stamp hasn't arrived yet after a month. I called my dealer a few days ago just to make sure that they have my phone number and he confirmed that they just haven't gotten it yet.

Mine was approved 2/4/16
arrived on 2/27
they really do use snails

They might use the same vendor who does "upgrades" to eForms for delivery. Remember eForm Form 4? That was supposed to return at the end of 2015. I suppose they're now trying to figure out how (if at all) to implement it, given the pending changes with 41-F.

Got one in today.

Form 4 mailed: 12/4/2015
Check cashed: 12/9/2015
Pending: 12/9/2015
Approved: 4/8/2016
Examiner: Melissa Grant
Date it arrived in the mail: 4/27/2016
Days Pending: 121
Total Wait: 145 days

F4 Suppressor via Trust: Submitted 1/8, Approved 5/13, Stamp Arrived 5/21

Last edited:
Question: How do you guys get your pending dates? Phone call?
Yes. Call (304) 616-4500, press 1 for English, and tell the person who answers that you want to check on the status of a Form 4. He/she/it/shim will ask you for the serial number of the item and the name it was filed under and then give you the date the form 4 went "pending" and its current status.

I submitted a Form 4 in early March...certified mail and paid with credit card. They hit my card several days later. I called today and the agent told me they have nothing on record for my transaction. WTF? I faxed over a copy of the documentation (including USPS tracking info and CC statement). Will re-submit tmrw via certified mail. I hope they can expedite the review once they find my paperwork.

I think the ATF is simply swamped, due to the impending 41F. I had an item coming to my FFL from a very reputable dealer on a Form 3. The Form 3 was submitted in early January and as of May, no approval. These Form 3 transfers used to take 4-6 weeks. My FFL called the ATF, who said there was no record of the Form 3 being submitted! In the midst of several frustrating phone calls to the dealer to find out what happened, the approved Form 3 shows up at the dealer. So, my best guess it that your Form 4 is probably at the ATF, but has not been recorded as "in the system" or "pending." At least I hope so, as I just submitted my Form 4! I'm assuming my Form 4 will take 6-9 months for approval.

I called the ATF today because my CC was hit 2x for the same NFA item (I sent in a copy of my paperwork as the agent said it was not in the system after 7 weeks, figured it was lost somewhere). The fellow I spoke with was very help (not the guy who initially answered the phone) and he said they are entering forms for payments received prior to March 14. Wow, that's a long time to wait just to get your paperwork entered into the system. Wait times are up to 6 months now.

Saw a post from SilencerCo, they were sending in 3-4 boxes of forms, something like ~ 100 lbs. ATF agent said they were swamped,

I called the ATF today because my CC was hit 2x for the same NFA item (I sent in a copy of my paperwork as the agent said it was not in the system after 7 weeks, figured it was lost somewhere). The fellow I spoke with was very help (not the guy who initially answered the phone) and he said they are entering forms for payments received prior to March 14. Wow, that's a long time to wait just to get your paperwork entered into the system. Wait times are up to 6 months now.

Saw a post from SilencerCo, they were sending in 3-4 boxes of forms, something like ~ 100 lbs. ATF agent said they were swamped,

SilencerShop posted pics on their website. 95 POUNDS of Form 4s one day and another 75 POUNDS the next.

I'm no expert, but that's A LOT OF FORM 4s.

Congrats! Must be a relief to finish the process. My May submission is still a long way away from being approved....

The best part of my knee injury in April is that my purchase and form 4 wait time (ATF received it right at the start of May) is that time is flying by. This past 1.5 weeks of sitting on the couch however, during my recovery is killing me though as I have time to waste and no $$ to spend. Soon though this will all be over.

Got an e-mail from the out of state FFL handling the form 4 C&R transfer - ATF examiner contacted him for a copy of my green card. Somehow they lost it. Odd. I've forwarded a copy on to the lawyer handling the estate transfer and he'll forward it to the ATF. At least I know they've looked at my application now!

EDIT: Update 9/26
Was forwarded a reply from the AFT contractor: my application looks to be complete. Waiting on the FBI background check. Once completed the file will be forwarded to the examiner for final review and approval. Estimated remaining processing time is approximately 30-45 days.

Here's to hoping for an arrival before the Pumpkin Shoot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom