Maine Universal Background Check Referendum to result in de-facto Handgun Ban

For those 18, 19, and 20 years old.

It is amazing that this Universal Background Check idea has been around since 2013, and it is still not widely known that it results in a de-facto handgun ban for those aged 18-20 years old.

Below are a couple of links that explain why;

http://www.examiner.com/article/uni...would-strip-18-20-year-olds-of-handgun-rights

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/letters/2016/02/04/reject-universal-background-checks/1864344

NOTE: The only exception is handgun sales between family members (no willing or able family members in Maine - you are "out of luck")

Sun Journal Letter to the Editor (02/04/16);

There is “more than meets the eye” with the upcoming universal background check referendum. The public is not being told that passage would result in a de-facto ban on handgun ownership for Maine residents aged 18 to 20. Here is why:

The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 requires that 18- to 20-year-olds buy handguns privately. Gun dealers are barred by that law from transferring a handgun to anyone under the age of 21.

The NRA mounted a legal challenge to that, claiming that the 18-20-year-olds should be able to buy a handgun from a gun dealer. However, in 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit ruled against the NRA since 18- to 20-year-olds had the option to buy handguns through private sales.

However, if voters pass the referendum, private gun sales will become much more difficult to do legally, effectively shutting the door on handgun purchases by those people who are 18 to 20 years old.

The referendum is an insidious and deceptive way to take away the rights of young people in that age group. They deserve to have their civil rights protected, not stripped away in an underhanded fashion.

I now understand why the issue of universal background checks was rejected at the national level in 2013 and why Maine voters should reject it now in 2016.

More articles and info on 18-20 handgun ownership / ban

Below are several other articles that discuss handgun ownership / transfers for 18-20 year olds.

Readers should be aware that Maine will issue a concealed handgun permit to qualified individuals 18 years and older.

Readers should be aware the Maine residents 18 and older are allowed to own handguns.

The minimum age for handgun ownership is 21 years old in the following states; CT, HI, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, DC, and 19 years old in NM.

The bottom line is that the 2016 Universal Background Check referendum would violate both the handgun ownership and concealed carry Maine age of 18 and older.

This is what happened (18-20 handgun ban) deceptively in Washington State and Oregon when they implemented UBC (via referendum, and legislatively, respectively).

=================================================================================

http://archive.myfreedomfoundation....ween-18-and-20-purchase-and-own-handguns.html (11/21/2013)
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/18_year_olds_can_buy_handguns/ (02/05/2013)
http://volokh.com/2010/05/24/how-would-an-18-to-20-year-old-go-about-buying-a-handgun/ (05/24/1010)
http://www.firearmlicense.org/is-it...tate-for-an-18-year-old-to-own-a-handgun.php/ (08/21/21010) (NOT ANYMORE!)

Last edited:
Universal Background Check Referendum would result in a Handgun Ban

The following Letter to the Editor has been "cleared" for publishing, but has not run yet.

Universal Background Check Referendum would result in a Handgun Ban

Probably the most deceptive and insidious consequence of the upcoming universal background check referendum is the de-facto handgun ban that would be imposed on young people aged 18-20. It is truly remarkable that this is not widely known, especially since this has been in the spotlight since 2013.

In 2008 and 2010, respectively, the Supreme Court in the Heller and McDonald decisions determined that gun ownership is an individual right, and that a handgun in the home is a basic right. In Maine, adults aged 18 and older can own a handgun, and can apply for a concealed carry permit.

The referendum would eliminate most private gun transfers conducted without a gun dealer administered background check. Since Federal law prohibits a gun dealer from transferring a handgun to anyone under 21, those 18-20 could not have a handgun transferred to them, except for a very narrow exception between family members.

The crazy thing is that Maine voters will be considering taking away the handgun rights of 18-20 year olds, without even being aware that they are doing it, and without discussion or debate. The referendum also contravenes state law, and results in the imposition of significant new gun control. When the voters realize all this, the much vaunted “opinion polls” in favor of this proposal are likely to melt away like the Maine spring snow.

If the proponents of the referendum really want to strip away civil rights, go against state law, and impose new gun control, they should at least be held accountable to describe their proposal accurately.

Fortunately, fair-minded Mainers will have the last word on this, and will be able to stop this civil rights and gun control over-reach, by voting no on the referendum.

Bangor Daily News Letter to the Editor

The Bangor Daily News published this Letter to the Editor in opposition to the upcoming background check referendum.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/04/...top-universal-background-checks/?ref=comments

The letter explains the handgun ban "built-into" the referendum and "calls out" the Everytown for Gun Safety spokesman for deceiving his University of Maine college aged audience on March 23, 2016.

Nevada Gun Rights Organization also fighting Bloomberg's UBC Referendum

This 04/13/16 Letter to the Editor to the Bangor Daily News has been posted to the Nevadans for State Gun Rights face book page.

https://www.facebook.com/nevadansforstategunrights

As many of you may know, Nevada is facing a similar universal background check referendum as Maine.

This is likely to start hampering Bloomberg's effort to impose his background check agenda nationwide.

Maine Mom's Demand Action Facebook reader comment (anti-UBC / 18-20 handgun ban)

Maine Mom's Demand Action is Bloomberg's astro-turf organization in Maine.

On 05/11/16 at 6:50 pm a woman posted this reader post on the Maine Mom's Demand Action facebook page (reader post still up as of 05/12/16 at 9:15pm)

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandActionME

Naomi Slade: "As a female gun owner that has used a firearm to defend her life, I am not in favor of this law. Young women between the ages of 18 and 21 would not be able to buy a handgun even though they can obtain a concealed handgun permit. I find that to be very sexist. You all should be ashamed of yourselves".

Comment 1: It is surprising that they have not censored this reader's post by deleting it.
Comment 2: For any readers here who have a facebook account, and are so inclined, give Ms. Slade's comment a "like" thumbs up.

Different States / Different Referendum Strategies

NOTE: The 04/13/16 Letter to the Editor was taken down from the Nevadan's for State Gun Rights face book page.

Nevada is pursuing their own strategy for defeating Bloomberg's UBC referendum, and have decided NOT to emphasize the 18-20 handgun ban. We wish them luck, but here in Maine we are actively informing voters of the 18-20 handgun ban that is "built-into" the referendum. The voters deserve to know about this before casting their votes.

The "myth" of the 18-20 handgun ban - NOT!

This post is being added because some proponents of the referendum are claiming that the 18-20 handgun ban "built-into" the universal background check referendum is a "myth" being spread by opponents of the referendum. They are claiming that a gun dealer is merely "presiding over" and "doing the background check", and as such, an 18-20 year old is not barred from having a handgun transferred to them. They realize that most Maine voters will not agree to a "back door" gun ban like this.

As you can see from the actual text of the referendum below, the gun dealer must enter (and exit) the handgun through his bound book (gun) inventory and comply with all state and federal laws as if he were selling the handgun directly. Since federal law prohibits the gun dealer from selling or transferring a handgun to anyone under 21, the de-facto handgun ban is imposed on these young people.

Fortunately, this "myth" disinformation attempt has not come up too often, but opponents of the referendum should be aware of this and be prepared to refute it (which can easily be done by going directly to the text of the proposed law).

==========================================

Actual Text of the Relevant Section of Proposed UBC Law / Referendum

Section 3:

Background check conducted by firearm dealer. When both parties to a prospective sale or transfer of a firearm are unlicensed persons, the transferor and transferee shall meet jointly at a firearm dealer and request that the firearm dealer facilitate the sale or transfer. A firearm dealer who agrees to facilitate a sale or transfer under this section shall process the sale or transfer as though selling or transferring the firearm from its own inventory to the transferee, complying with all requirements of federal and state law that would apply if it were making such a sale or transfer, including all background check and record-keeping requirements.

Maine 2016 Referendum Public Comment Period; May 13th - June 13th

For anyone that is interested, the Maine Secretary of State is accepting public comments regarding wording of the universal background check referendum (and the four other referendum). The public comment period runs from May 13th to June 13th.

The following link provides additional information and instructions for filing a public comment.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/upcoming/publiccomment.html

For anyone that is interested, the Maine Secretary of State is accepting public comments regarding wording of the universal background check referendum (and the four other referendum). The public comment period runs from May 13th to June 13th.

The following link provides additional information and instructions for filing a public comment.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/upcoming/publiccomment.html

Thanks for sharing. I'll be sending in a comment.

Last Chance - Maine SOS Referendum Comment Period Closing Soon

Just a quick reminder that we are in the final five (5) days of the Maine Secretary of State Public comment period related to the upcoming 2016 referendums.

The deadline is June 13th.

This is the last chance to let the Maine SOS know about this 18-20 (i.e. under 21) handgun ban, or any other substantive issue you may have with the referendum.

Any comments must be factual, concise, and relevant (see submission guidelines in earlier post).

Maine SOS releases final ballot question wording

The Maine Secretary of State has released the final wording of the universal background check referendum ballot question.

"An Act to Require Background Checks for Gun Sales. “Do you want to require background checks prior to the sale or transfer of firearms between individuals not licensed as firearms dealers, with failure to do so punishable by law, and with some exceptions for family members, hunting, self-defense, lawful competitions, and shooting range activity?”"

http://stateandcapitol.bangordailyn...ording-of-all-five-november-ballot-questions/

There is NO mention of the 18-20 (i.e. under 21) handgun ban, hence, the voter education campaign continues. Although not included in the final wording, I am confident that the voters will be aware of this consequence of the referendum by November.

We have come a long way since January when literally no one in Maine had any idea that this ban was included in the referendum. There are four (4) more months to get the word out on this.

with all the garbage the mass ag spewed today i am kicking my maine housing search up several notches.....now i see this ubc bullshit. what's the general consensus on this passing?

with all the garbage the mass ag spewed today i am kicking my maine housing search up several notches.....now i see this ubc bullshit. what's the general consensus on this passing?

Highly doubtful. It's a New York solution to a problem Maine doesn't have.

David vs. Goliath

The proponents of the referendum have the Bloomberg financing and local astro-turf.

The opponents have the grassroots opposition but no money.

It may be very close so we have to continue fighting this right up to election day.

Nevada UBC Opponents FINALLY Mention Handgun Ban

Nevada is facing the same Bloomberg universal background check referendum as Maine.

Until today, they have resisted telling Nevadans about the handgun ban - but not any longer.

===================================================================

Your Questions about Ballot Question 1: Transfers Under 21?

Patriots,

Politicians like Bloomberg intentionally design legislation like Question 1 to be confusing. I want to provide you answers to some of your questions before we vote down the background check initiative in November.

Question of the Day:

Does this initiative impact an 18 to 20-year-old person transferring a handgun, since it’s legal in Nevada for an 18 to 20-year-old to own and possess a handgun?

Answer:

Yes, federal law prohibits federal firearms dealers from transferring a handgun to anyone under 21 years old. Since all gun sales and transfers would have to go through a federal firearms dealer, these young adults will have a de-facto handgun ban imposed on them. If the owner is under 21, the federal firearms dealer cannot give the handgun back to the owner.

Join us in the fight to protect our freedom! Donate $25 today, and stand up against bullies like Bloomberg who want to threaten our civil liberties.

If you have any other questions about Question 1 and our efforts to fight it, email me at [email protected]. I’ll be happy to answer them.

For Freedom,

Don Turner, President
Nevadans for State Gun Rights

In North Carolina, where we live now, one must get a pistol purchase permit from the sheriff's office. One can buy up to 5 permits at a time, $5 each. One needs such a permit for any handgun purchase, whether private or a dealer. 18 to 20 year old need this permit for private sale.
21 and older can apply for a concealed carry permit. The CCH permit eliminated the need to get a PPP for each new handgun purchase.
Still, one shouldn't need permission to exercise a right, criminals certainly don't get a permit to purchase.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Highly doubtful. It's a New York solution to a problem Maine doesn't have.

It's even worse. It's a Billionaire BloomingTurd New York-style solution to a problem Maine doesn't have.

And we all know what Billionaire BloomingTurd thinks of us gun owners and our rights. [angry]

It's even worse. It's a Billionaire BloomingTurd New York-style solution to a problem Maine doesn't have.

And we all know what Billionaire BloomingTurd thinks of us gun owners and our rights. [angry]

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even in the populous, liberal Portland area, I've seen very few signs for "Yes on 3" and a huge amount of "No on 3". I can only imagine that the further nort' on goes, the more resoundingly "No" the answer is.

Vote NO on 3 Signs "sprouting like weeks" across Maine

Thanks for your report on the Portland area.

I am happy to report that there are numerous "Vote No on Question 3" signs in the Bridgeton / Naples area.

(one of the Maine newspaper reader commenters tried to "blow smoke up our *ss" by claiming there were a "sea of YES signs" in the Portland area)

Handgun Ban - Jeff Zimba Opinion Piece in The Maine Wire

Jeff W. Zimba is the author of “The Evolution of the Black Rifle.” A Master Registered Maine Guide specializing in veterans’ outreach programs, Zimba is an award winning author with several hundred published articles and videos to his credit.

He just had this opinion piece published in The Maine Wire. It highlights the handgun ban "built-into" the Background Check referendum.

http://www.themainewire.com/2016/11/question-3-theft-rights/

Vote NO on Question 3.

I am curious how much money shitberg wasted on trying to get this to pass only to see it fail. [rofl]

-Mike

usa-american-flag-gif-3.gif

Freedom Prevails!

I am curious how much money shitberg wasted on trying to get this to pass only to see it fail. [rofl]

-Mike
I was pretty pleasantly surprised about the results of this one. I know how well you can rely on polls, but they seemed to indicate that the support for this was overwhelming. I'm very glad that it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom