300 gr XTP 44 Mag H110 load data?

DW357

NES Member
Just got 100 of the Hornady 300 gr XTPs to try something new other than my 240 gr and 180 gr loads. But there's a reasonable difference in the load data in my latest Hornady manual and the Hodgdon website using H110 powder. I'm going to start with 18.5 gr and see how that shoots. I've been using Hodgdon's data for my 240 and 180 gr loads with great success. Just curious if others have used 300 gr XTPs with H110. These bullets are huge compared to the 180s, I'm sure they'll kick hard...

View attachment 137186View attachment 137187

Last edited:
Reading some other forums, sounds like these bullets shoot so high that you run out of elevation adjustment! I'll find out tomorrow hopefully. I don't care if they shoot really high, I just wanted to try a different bullet weight and see how it performs.

Reading some other forums, sounds like these bullets shoot so high that you run out of elevation adjustment! I'll find out tomorrow hopefully. I don't care if they shoot really high, I just wanted to try a different bullet weight and see how it performs.

sounds like the bullets don't get shot so much but more like they get "lobbed" in [smile]

Last edited:
are there any notes as to what firearm they were tested in for the manual?
There is a huge discrepancy on powder and velocity. Wondering if Hornady did velocity testing with a shorter barreled firearm. Seems that could make up the difference.
Keep us posted on your findings. Do you have a chrono ?

are there any notes as to what firearm they were tested in for the manual?
There is a huge discrepancy on powder and velocity. Wondering if Hornady did velocity testing with a shorter barreled firearm. Seems that could make up the difference.
Keep us posted on your findings. Do you have a chrono ?

Yes the Hornady manual says a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" was used.

I have a 7.5" super redhawk I'll be testing these with tomorrow hopefully. I also have a chrono so I'll see how they're running.

So here are the results. 300 gr XTP, 1.605" COL, Win LPP.
18.5 gr H110

AVG 1062
ES 59
SD 23
Fair amount of unburnt powder but was accurate and not terribly recoil heavy.

19 gr

AVG 1107
ES 41
SD 18
More stout but burned much cleaner.

19.5 gr

AVG 1147
ES 43
SD 16
Burned clean definitely more stout but not horrible.

Last edited:
The cases ejected fine and the primers weren't flattened. The recoil wasn't very bad either. I think I could easily bump it to Hornady's max suggested charge of 20.1 gr. They shot a little high but nothing crazy. Probably just a few inches higher compared to my 240 gr loads at 35 feet.

The velocity I got is right in line with Hornady's manual since they used almost the same gun (redhawk 7.5") and barrel length. I don't know if I'll buy more of these as they're not cheap and I'm not hunting bear or wild hogs lol.

I much prefer the blast of the 180 gr XTPs:
View attachment 137277
But the 180s aren't cheaper either.

Last edited:
I also made 6 rounds using Xtreme plated 240 gr FP bullets with 23.5 gr of H110. I was surprised that they held up at those velocities and shot very accurately and consistent. Moreso than the jacketed bullets.
Used a heavy crimp which didn't cut through the plating. But definitely deformed the bullet. I don't know if these would hold up in my Henry big boy with the huge increase in velocity.

I shot 2 rounds just to far out of range of my chrono so this is just 4 rounds.

Xtreme 44 240 gr. 1.585", Win LPP

AVG 1289
ES 13
SD 5

Last edited:
You can still make whacker loads, just order some 310+ grain cast bullets and have a blast!
Lee has a mold for a blunt-nosed gas-checked bullet...
http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c-430-310-rf.html

Yeah a fellow NESer sent me some 290 gr gas checked bullets which were pretty hard hitting with ~20 gr of H110. I'm not a fan of the mess that the lube makes in my dies but loading a few lead bullets once in a while isn't a big deal.

Looks like there's lots of choices for hard cast 44 bullets and they're all fairly pricy at 30 cents each.

Well, it is a lot of lead. Missouri Bullet has a plain-base 300 TCFP for about 16 cents a pop.
You can always go back to .22 LR if costs are too high; that's one of the features of big bore shooting.

Well, it is a lot of lead. Missouri Bullet has a plain-base 300 TCFP for about 16 cents a pop.
You can always go back to .22 LR if costs are too high; that's one of the features of big bore shooting.

Haha very true, that is large amount of lead. But some of them cost more than jacketed Hornady XTPs. The 300 gr XTPs ran me about 30 cents each shipped. 16 cents is a good price though. I'll have to search for those.

I don't plan on shooting a lot of the big heavy 300+ gr bullets but just wanted to try them out for something different. The 240 gr bullets are cheap enough and work well for my needs.

I'm realizing it's the gas checked bullets that are demanding a higher price which makes sense. I would think if I want full house magnum loads with heavy bullets, they need to be gas checked to prevent leading. I found some 325 gr wide flat nose gas checked bullets for 31.5 cents shipped. Seems reasonable for that amount of lead. Maybe I'll try them out.

Part of the reason I'm looking for different bullets is because I have so much 44 mag brass kicking around. I already have 500-600 rounds loaded with 180 gr and 240 gr bullets. But I still have a couple zip loc bags of brass that I've bought and got in trade over the last year.

These seem like a good deal if it doesn't get many bids.

Last edited:
Yep! Maybe you can just contact the seller and offer $125 for 500 shipped. They'll all fit in a small flat-rate, I suspect.
You just have to expect a higher cost for these heavyweights, but still seek the best deal that you can.
My brother in VT casts the Lee 310, but it's just not worth the effort to make them for resale. Sometimes you might find the 265gr/270gr jacketed bullets for reasonable as many .44 shooters don't really enjoy shooting full magnum loads and they sell their inventory of bullets and such.
Good luck!

I'd love to do them for cost, I enjoy casting and like to help where I can. I just started a new job in Dallas so here I sit in a hotel room while all my gear gathers dust in CT!

Back
Top Bottom