• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

300 blackout quesion

The 300 blackout option is new to me ,as such I really don't know much about it, so please bear with if I ask some dumb or repetitive questions.

As I have a couple of lower and uppers still coming, I have been thinking of other options besides a couple more standard'ish AR15's In searching around the 300 Blackout come to the top.

Will a standard AR15 lower/upper combination be used? Cna the standard AR15 LPK be used.

It appears, I will need a different BCG and Barrel but beyond that, not much else.

Is this correct or am I off the tracks?

The 300 blackout option is new to me ,as such I really don't know much about it, so please bear with if I ask some dumb or repetitive questions.

As I have a couple of lower and uppers still coming, I have been thinking of other options besides a couple more standard'ish AR15's In searching around the 300 Blackout come to the top.

Will a standard AR15 lower/upper combination be used? Cna the standard AR15 LPK be used.

It appears, I will need a different BCG and Barrel but beyond that, not much else.

Is this correct or am I off the tracks?

You just need a new barrel. That's it. (Assuming the bolt you already have headspaces properly of course.)

.300 Blackout is way over-rated unless you have a suppressor for it, but it sure does have it's fans.

Not a dumb question. I've been looking into it as well for my next build. The way I understand it you are correct. Not 100% sure but I think all you would need is the BCG and barrel. Mags and lower are GTG.

I think it would be a great dual purpose round for self defense/hunting.

Last edited:
300aac is based on cutdown 223 case stuffed with 308 bullet.
therefore only 300aac specific part is a barrel. bolt from 223 ar can be reused.
main purpose of the round while under development was to match that of a performance of 7.62x39 with minimal modifications to standard infantry carbine. as such only barrels swap required. all other components are 100% interchangeable
300aac subsonic version came out of 300 Whisper wildcat developed by JD Jones in earlier years. It was adopted with minimal modifications by AAC but did not retain name that was proprietary to JD Jones' development

300aac availability is very spars and cost is rather prohibitive, being over $1 per round for factory ammo. While comparable in performance to 7.62x39 cost 3-5 times less than 300aac. people who shoot 300aac usually reload and form their own cases out of 223. which is a lot cheaper than buying factory ammo, especially if you get to pickup 223 brass at the range or buying once fired in bulk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom