• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.300 Blackout for first rifle?

My daughter turns 10 next summer and wants to hunt. I have been bouncing around rifles for her and I am currently leaning towards an AR in .300 Blackout. It seems like a more than adequate cartridge for deer at the ranges we will be shooting. I was going to go with a 30-30 singleshot but I like the idea of her having a quick folllowup. Thoughts? Thanks.

How much are you willing to spend on ammo? That's my first thought...

I reload and have a ton of 125 gr Ballistic Tips already. Only cost will be the brass and dies. Plus she is going to be doing the reloading under my supervision.

As for the rifle I am looking at building one. I have all the parts and pieces but the barrel.

She has fired rifles before? All kids are different. But I've had my girls to the range many times and they have used my A2 configured AR 5.56. They were less than thrilled with the recoil and the noise. They are first year shooters and they could be lazy like their dad as they much prefer the .22. But just thought I'd put that out there since you are considering a .300 blackout. My girls are 10 and 12 and they are both among the tallest in their grades. Also, I have a Winchester lever action 94AE 30-30....with that kick my kids aren't allowed to shoot it. Not sure if you are referring to a single shot 30-30 rifle with a nice buffer system for your daughter. Maybe take her out with some friends who have some of these rifles and see how she responds...

Last edited:
I'd advocate putting the importance of placing a well aimed first shot. I've been hunting a bit, and aside from waterfowl, have never had to perform a follow up shot. I don't see the 300 as being terribly different from a 5.56 in the AR as far as recoil and muzzle blast. Let your kid shoot an M4 or another rifle similar to your proposed 300 build, and if they like it and hit well, then build the 300 and hone their skills.

Personally I'm a fan of the .243 as a youth deer rifle. But the AR has allot going for it, endless options and modularity for a custom, comfortable fit ect.....I think it would boil down to how well she shoots it and that she practice for that one good shot.

Back
Top Bottom