• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

300 blackout ammo suggestions please

Took the plunge. Bought a pistol lower, just ordered a 10.5" upper. The description reads:

-AR-15 Milspec (Matrix Arms, Anderson Mfg, Aero Precision, PSA, etc) 7075 T6 Aluminum Stripped Upper Receiver w/M4 feed ramps - Forward Assist and Ejection Port Door installed
-Tactical Kinetics 10.5 inch 300 Blackout Pistol Length 1/8 Twist 4150 CMV Melonite Barrel
-Low profile Nitride STEEL gas block
-Stainless Steel Pistol length gas tube
-JE Machine TEch 9 inch M-LOK Slim Profile Free Float Rail
-PSA Full Auto Nitride Bolt Carrier Group and standard charging handle
-Standard A2 30 Cal Flash Hider and crush washer

The seller is putting in an adjustable gas block and replacing the flash hider with a brake.

This is going to be a truck gun. Once I (eventually, haven't even started the process yet) get a can for it I may bring it in the house for HD. For now, it's a truck "I'm not Reginald Denny" gun. It'll have a red dot and irons for backup. I absolutely do not expect to use it for anything past 50 yards, ever. I have guns for that. For this particular firearm, "minute of thug" is all I care about. Hypothetically of course...

The question is: What ammo weight should I be looking at, given the gun's specs and my intended use? Yes, when I "go suppressed" I'll have different needs, but that's tomorrow's question.

I would stick to supersonics if you're using this as an unsurpressed truck gun. So, probably 120-150gr. Assuming you're using expanding bullets, I'd just make sure that the velocities your gun should generate would create sufficient velocity to allow for proper expansion.

i Would not want an adjustable gas block on a defensive rifle. I’ve never had one fail but it’s another potential failure point. It’s also a little weird for the seller to be installing one unless there’s a cycling issue. For a 10.5” barrel I don’t see any need to cut down on the gas unless the gas port is too big. While that seems unlikely, I’m unfamiliar with tactical kinetics barrel. my preference for defensive setup would be fixed gas block with dimpled barrel, followed by supersonic ammo that cycles it well. moderate overgas Is fine, and if needed could increase buffer weight although I would be hesitant to do that.

and why put a brake on a 10.5 inch barrel? It will be annoying. again my preferemce here would be either an A2 hider to keep it simple or a linear comp (eg troy claymore) to push all the muzzle blast forward at the expense of slight increase in recoil. Since you’re running a 1x optic it won’t disturb sight picture and would be fine.

Last edited:
I use a 168 bthp w/ Lil Gun
get - 3/4" groups at a 100 yds. If you reload pm me and I will give you my load data .

I reload exclusively all my 300 blk. For supers I really like Speer 125 TNT bullets. Reasonable cost and good performance.

Right now there are no “suggestions” it’s literally whatever you can get your hands on.... 300 blackout is basically made out of unicorn tears right now....

If you find some white and green box remington look inside if you can. Barnes head stamp , that worked really well for me for my short stint with 300

If you don’t mind spending some money, it looks like Lehigh has some of their 115gr controlled chaos in stock.

Took the plunge. Bought a pistol lower, just ordered a 10.5" upper. The description reads:

-AR-15 Milspec (Matrix Arms, Anderson Mfg, Aero Precision, PSA, etc) 7075 T6 Aluminum Stripped Upper Receiver w/M4 feed ramps - Forward Assist and Ejection Port Door installed
-Tactical Kinetics 10.5 inch 300 Blackout Pistol Length 1/8 Twist 4150 CMV Melonite Barrel
-Low profile Nitride STEEL gas block
-Stainless Steel Pistol length gas tube
-JE Machine TEch 9 inch M-LOK Slim Profile Free Float Rail
-PSA Full Auto Nitride Bolt Carrier Group and standard charging handle
-Standard A2 30 Cal Flash Hider and crush washer

The seller is putting in an adjustable gas block and replacing the flash hider with a brake.

This is going to be a truck gun. Once I (eventually, haven't even started the process yet) get a can for it I may bring it in the house for HD. For now, it's a truck "I'm not Reginald Denny" gun. It'll have a red dot and irons for backup. I absolutely do not expect to use it for anything past 50 yards, ever. I have guns for that. For this particular firearm, "minute of thug" is all I care about. Hypothetically of course...

The question is: What ammo weight should I be looking at, given the gun's specs and my intended use? Yes, when I "go suppressed" I'll have different needs, but that's tomorrow's question.
I shoot 124 and 147 out of both of my 300 rifles. There’s not much of a change under 200 yds between both. Since it’s a 50 yard “shoot people throwing bricks at u in your truck gun” these will work great!

For a max 50 yard truck gun you don’t want or need supersonic. I never shot 300 Black without a suppressor but I wouldn’t want the crack of a super if I’m shootings out of the passenger window. Good subs have a range out to 125 yards, even 150. The 1/8 twist is an interesting choice, you can easily stabilize subsonic rounds but possibly not the heaviest rounds. Anything 190 to 220 grain will stabilize for sure, probably up to 240. If you can find them I use these,

For a max 50 yard truck gun you don’t want or need supersonic. I never shot 300 Black without a suppressor but I wouldn’t want the crack of a super if I’m shootings out of the passenger window. Good subs have a range out to 125 yards, even 150. The 1/8 twist is an interesting choice, you can easily stabilize subsonic rounds but possibly not the heaviest rounds. Anything 190 to 220 grain will stabilize for sure, probably up to 240. If you can find them I use these,

As a heads up, those don’t have great expansion repeatability at 100 yards out of a short barreled 300blk. 50 yards and in is probably fine, but wanted to point that out.

Regarding shooting supers from within a car/truck, a linear comp will help a bunch as long as the window is down.

I use the Federal American Eagle and am generally happy with it. Could be cleaner, but overall a consistent round.

As a heads up, those don’t have great expansion repeatability at 100 yards out of a short barreled 300blk. 50 yards and in is probably fine, but wanted to point that out.

Regarding shooting supers from within a car/truck, a linear comp will help a bunch as long as the window is down.

In my haste I grabbed the wrong order. I bought those just as the craziness started and they suck. These are the ones I like.

Super easy round to reload. Would never buY ammo. I have a suppressed ar pistol and a rifle in 300. Love them

+1 for 125's and supersonic. So far I've shot PPU and Sig when I can find it at a good price. PPU is a very good value.

Right now there are no “suggestions” it’s literally whatever you can get your hands on.... 300 blackout is basically made out of unicorn tears right now....

Especially if "minute of thug" is the requirement.

Never had a problem with S&B.

I would stick to supersonics if you're using this as an unsurpressed truck gun. So, probably 120-150gr. Assuming you're using expanding bullets, I'd just make sure that the velocities your gun should generate would create sufficient velocity to allow for proper expansion.

Without reading the rest of the thread, I'd concur. I've done some cursory investigation. Subsonic is just meh. It's another 30caliber. SUPERsonic, this thing is a wildebeast at less than 50 yards. Total destruction. Sure your ears are gonna hurt, but are they gonna hurt THAT much less with a non-suppressed subsonic load??

I've got a 300 upper. . . I think. Damn. Did I order that ever or did it sit in my cart for a pile of time???? That was around Christmas. Then I got busy. Then Coronavirus range closures. . . . . . Damn. I forget.

But I've got the TSUSA page saved on my phone. IIRC, I think I was looking at SIG HP ammo and similar-weighted range ammo. Of course now everything is OOS. LOL. I should have ordered back at Christmas.

Subs or Supers? I don't shoot Supers at all. Subs only. My preferred sub ammo is S&B 200 grain for training. If I can't find S&B, I will pick up Remington UMC 220 grain - even though I am not the biggest fan of its accuracy. My SD/HD ammo is Hornady Sub-X 190grain.

Subs or Supers? I don't shoot Supers at all. Subs only. My preferred sub ammo is S&B 200 grain for training. If I can't find S&B, I will pick up Remington UMC 220 grain - even though I am not the biggest fan of its accuracy. My SD/HD ammo is Hornady Sub-X 190grain.

For a round literally designed to be used with a short barrel and subsonic ammo to kill people, I can’t believe the number of people saying super is the way to go. For f***s sake if somebody wants a supersonic 30 caliber shoot 308.

Subs are neat to show off how quiet your can is. I have had great results with Barns 110grn black tips, TAC-TX or some thing like that. Consistent velocities and sub MOA out of my rifle.

Subs are neat to show off how quiet your can is. I have had great results with Barns 110grn black tips, TAC-TX or some thing like that. Consistent velocities and sub MOA out of my rifle.

Even without a suppressor, S&B 200 subs shoot super quiet, no muzzle rise and the recoil of a .22 peashooter. Those are the primary 3 reasons why I stick with them. Secondary, is consolidation and cost. I would rather spend the premium $ on shooting a 200/220 30 cal cartridge out of a shorty AR and keep more on hand and leave the 124 grain 30 cal cheap ammo for my AK.

Only at 50 yards, offhand and trying to be as accurate as I could without going too slow, but this was pretty acceptable for me.

300.jpg

Last edited:

I understand what your saying but there are a lot of rounds for shooting tight groups. If you’re building a truck gun for self defense inside of 50 yards does sub MOA matter. 300BLK was designed to kill bad guys with a suppressed short barrel using subs. Btw it is fun to show off how quiet it is lol but it’s really just applying the design as intended.

I understand what your saying but there are a lot of rounds for shooting tight groups. If you’re building a truck gun for self defense inside of 50 yards does sub MOA matter. 300BLK was designed to kill bad guys with a suppressed short barrel using subs. Btw it is fun to show off how quiet it is lol but it’s really just applying the design as intended.

He's not running a can. If he was running a can, I'm pretty sure everyone here would all say to run 220gr subs.

He's not running a can. If he was running a can, I'm pretty sure everyone here would all say to run 220gr subs.

I‘m not sure how running a silencer has anything to do with the decision. Silenced or not it’s designed for subs and within 50 yards is solidly in its optimal range. I would rather shoot unsuppressed with subs over supers and definitely from inside a truck.

Definitely, I use Sierra 125grain 300 AAC and l'il gun, very excellent combination for supersonic.

I use Lil Gun also, but I really like H110. I did a chrono on both and the Lil Gun @ 17.8 is doing 2240 and the H110 @ 18 doing the same.
What powder grain do you use with Lil Gun?

Back
Top Bottom