• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

300 AAC upper

I'm in the early stages of an AR build. I picked and ordered my lower but I am not sure what to get for an upper.
I know I want a 300 AAC Blackout, gas-piston, 16 inch barrel, 1 in 7 twist. I am very green to the AR platform so I really don't know what is the best bang for my buck. I know I want something with better quality than an Andersen or DPMS. I'm looking to spend 400 to 500. No bolt carrier needed as I will be purchasing that separate.

Any suggestions?

I'm in the market too. Was looking at Stag Arms; I have a 5.56 upper from them which I'm really happy with but their customer service is awful.

I was leaning towards this one

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-300-16in-complete-upper.html

Does anyone know if the Aero is better than the BCM? For the price of the Aero I can get a really nice bolt carrier and charging handle and still come up less than the BCM upper.

You said you wanted a gas piston job in your OP, that Aero is a DI upper like the BCM. Personally, I would not waste your time and money on a piston, especially in 300blk.

I would spend the extra money on BCM.

You said you wanted a gas piston job in your OP

I would prefer a piston over DI. I want the rifle to run as clean as possible.

I am hoping to build a lightweight and fast cycling all-purpose AR. My hope is to put a prime weaponry hybrid bcg, hydraulic buffer, ALG parts kit with a geissel ssa trigger. It *SHOULD* cycle fast and run pretty clean.
When it's done I hope to have a 300 blackout upper for hunting (deer, hogs, coyote) and a budget .223 upper for having fun at the range.

I would prefer a piston over DI. I want the rifle to run as clean as possible.

I am hoping to build a lightweight and fast cycling all-purpose AR. My hope is to put a prime weaponry hybrid bcg, hydraulic buffer, ALG parts kit with a geissel ssa trigger. It *SHOULD* cycle fast and run pretty clean.
When it's done I hope to have a 300 blackout upper for hunting (deer, hogs, coyote) and a budget .223 upper for having fun at the range.

I'm not sure what you trying to get at saying a fast cycling rifle, are you trying to mess with the dwell time and tinker with carrier and buffer weights?

That doesn't sound like an all purpose rifle to me, it sounds like some kind of tunable hot rod, if that is what you are after rock on. I had one and have stripped all the fancy go fast stuff off of it because I got tired of tinkering.

My opinion, 300blk was designed to run well in a DI rifle and it does. If you are after a true all purpose rifle, go as milspec as you can and clean the rifle every 1.5k rounds.

Last edited:
So it's right if I build it myself? Or do I need an NFA trust?

I like the idea of building an sbr but I also don't want to run afoul of Mrs Healy.

I have a 7.5" DI upper that I assembled using Anderson Manufacturing parts. So far I'm happy with it. The upper has some sort of coating that doesn't require lubrication and cleans with soap and water. Don't really give a shite about that part. All I care about is its really fun to shoot.

Last edited:
I have an 8.5" Rainier upper I built. Coming up on 500 rounds, never cleaned, 100% reliable. Ive been shooting 147gr factory reloads through it.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I'd rather stick with a 16" barrel right now. I don't feel like waiting 6+ months to straighten out NFA paperwork. I want to complete the build this summer. Thanks though.

I just dont see the draw of a 16" 300blk gun. Id just go 308 at that point. Its optimized for SBRs.

Mike

Because I don't want to deal with the NFA/Trust red tape. I also don't want a 308. Its overkill for me. I want to use my AR for target, hog, deer, and zombies of course. .

So, back to my OP. Any recommendations on a 16" upper? I like the BCM and the Aero. I like that the BCM is chrome lined. But does it make that much of a difference?

I just dont see the draw of a 16" 300blk gun. Id just go 308 at that point. Its optimized for SBRs.

Mike

Agreed. 300blk in anything more than a 8.5" bbl doesn't make sense to me. The bullet is basically 9mm weight so its great to suppress and it burns like 90% of the powder in the first 8". You literally gain ~150 fps from 8" to 16" unless you are loading lighter supersonic loads at which point Mike is right: Just get a .308.

A 16" 300blk makes plenty of sense if you a building a brush gun to hunt in thick woods, like my back yard. Mine will likely come in at around 6 lbs, I doubt my .308 with the same barrel length will do the same. Commercial loads of the 110gr Barnes verity boast velocities of 2400fps out of a 16" barrel. Now I have not chrono'd anything myself, but my reading of people that have show the same load out of an 8.5" barrel closer to 2k-2100. Factor in that these bullets are desiged to expand all the way down to 1900fps and the extra velocity is just insurance. However, it is something I wouldn't shoot subsonic loads out of, not that I would for hunting anyways.

Then there is the ability to hop over the boarder to ME/VT with it if I want with out having to worry about stupid paper work.

I have a mutt 16" 300blk upper but will be doing an SBR at some point with this caliber as said above all the powder is burnt in the first 8-9" of barrel. Excess weight at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that to be true for subsonic loads, not supersonic loads.

I believe that to be true for subsonic loads, not supersonic loads.

Right, as I noted about the lighter supersonic loads benefit more from the longer bbl but I think there are probably better choices for a 16" bbl. $0.02 nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom