• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

30 Round Post Ban magazine question...

Hi All,

I searched and haven't found what I'm looking for.

How come I saw a new 30 round AR15 magazine in a local gun shop, aren't they banned? Or are they only for use on Pre-Ban guns?

Or could this have been a Pre-Ban mag for $20?

David

Thanks all, I found the other thread. Finally.

So, does the FFL check to see if your a LEO?

David
No, it is the burden of the buyer to make sure his mags are pre-ban. Just like it is the burden of the FFL to make sure he is selling a MA-complaint handgun. You can buy a non-compliant gun from an FFL and he'll be the one to get burned. Just like he can sell you a post-ban mag and you'll be the one to get burned.

They most certainly are required to check. Dealers selling to a non-LEO or MA dealer is a felony under C.140 § 122.
That is if they care enough. I've seen a brand new ambi-cut Glock mag sold to a non-LEO by a MA FFL. I wanted to say something to the guy, but he looked like he just would have told me to 'F off anyways. Didn't know it was illegal for the FFL too though.

That is if they care enough. I've seen a brand new ambi-cut Glock mag sold to a non-LEO by a MA FFL. I wanted to say something to the guy, but he looked like he just would have told me to 'F off anyways. Didn't know it was illegal for the FFL too though.

Yeah, a lot of dealers don't check anyway [thinking]. While that is a felony on their part, that is no protection from the felony on your part for possessing it.

Or are they only for use on Pre-Ban guns?

David

No, there is no law (federal or state), that prohibits using a pre-ban/post-ban mag in any "hi-cap" firearm. The status of the firearm is not relevant with relation to the legality of the magazine... even during the 94 AWB.

Back
Top Bottom