• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.30 M2 Ball

I'm not a Garand owner, and I probably won't buy one. Mostly because I like the SVT-40 more.

However, I've been looking up info on the Garand, and I read that the best and probably only .30-06 to shoot in a M1 is milspec .30 M2 Ball.

Is this true? Can the M1 only take .30 M2 Ball .30-06? Or does it just work best?

What I have read is that the modern gunpowder burns faster than the powder that the Garand was designed for, causing the operating rod to potentially come back with too much speed and get bent.

They have these adjustable gas plugs you can use that let some of the gas out, I think you just open them up and then close them down until the gun starts to cycle.

I've only shot M2 Ball military surplus ammo from the CMP in my Garand; I figure it's not worth damaging it, and the stuff is cheaper than commercial ammo that I've seen. If that runs out, I'll look into the gas plug (and probably reloading too).

It has to do with the burn rate of the powder and the preasure at the gas port.
Best to go to cmp forums and read up.

What I have read is that the modern gunpowder burns faster than the powder that the Garand was designed for, causing the operating rod to potentially come back with too much speed and get bent.

They have these adjustable gas plugs you can use that let some of the gas out, I think you just open them up and then close them down until the gun starts to cycle.

I've only shot M2 Ball military surplus ammo from the CMP in my Garand; I figure it's not worth damaging it, and the stuff is cheaper than commercial ammo that I've seen. If that runs out, I'll look into the gas plug (and probably reloading too).

Actually, the problem is not with powders that are too fast, but with powders that are too slow in burning rate. Such powders tend to generate a higher level of residual pressure at the point where the bullet passes the gas port (called "port pressure"), and this is what causes the potential for OpRod damage.

For those who shoot factory, a number of companies are now selling ammo labeled for use in an M1. For those who reload, simply choose a powder with an acceptably fast burn rate. (I use Win 748 in mine.)

See http://www.m14.ca/reloading/14_loading.pdf

My research has stated that the pressure curve, if not correct, will end up tearing up your operating rod. Your safest bet with an M1 is to use M2 ball type ammo. Federal and PPU make M2 ball loads.

The adjustable gas plugs can be a pain. The ppu m1 ammo gets decent reviews. I have not seen any locally yet. Cmp also has surplus for under 60 cents per round.
my reloads with match bullets run 37 per rnd. There's not to many deals on 30cal bullets.

I like to reload to M-2 Ball specs, especially since i only ever have shot it to 600 yds, but loading up a 168 gr Sierra match king round is well-known for accuracy, and that's not an M-2 ball load.

And yes cast loads can be made to cycle the action and shoot accurately.

American Rifleman published an article on loading for the Garand a long time ago. There is a wealth of information on reloading for it. PM me your email address if you want a copy.

Hornady has a section in their newer manuals specifically for loading for the Garand. I don't recall if they were loads approximating military ball ammo or if there was some variety in there.

The best thing is not to reinvent the wheel here. The m 1 has been shooting reloads in competition for over 65 years. Its all about the proper port preasure which has to do with powder and bullet choices. Here's a good article mentioned earlier
home.comcast.net/.../ReloadingForTheM1Rifle_JohnRClarke.pdf there's some 200 grain loads listed here.
Every garand is different. @ 100 yards 150 gn is plenty if your rifle likes them.
so far all my garands like 168gn match bullets one shines @ 100 yards with 147gn bullets
All do as expected with Greek hxp surplus. For me surplus is very good for the money and wont harm your rifle But as consistant as taxes I get a way out flyer every cmp shoot I go to.....19 shots with in 9 ring and then winnngggzinng out to a 5 ring...

home.comcast.net/.../ReloadingForTheM1Rifle_JohnRClarke.pdf copy and paste should work.
Also don't buy the hornady manual just for the garand section its small. Hornady will generally send you a scan copy if you ask nicely.

Last edited:
I just ordered another ammo can of this stuff, like you said, get it before it's gone.
My Springfield loves it and it reloads very well. 150gr with IMR 4895.

I think Orest said it'll be a while til it's gone. Then I think he said there was some LC on strippers that were left, but he wouldn't sell that until the HXP was gone.

Back
Top Bottom