• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.30-30 ammo

I stocked up on necessary 12ga and 9mm rounds as I was modifying a 336 marlin with a M-Lok grip. Sadly, an order from LAX Ammo didn’t come. I need .30-30 ammo in MA.

Thoughts?

Btw. Been reading this forum for a bit. Thanks to you all for insights and info!

You might just have to go looking
Its not heavily stocked here in mass and some LGS might toss a few boxes on the shelf at hunting season

I stocked up on necessary 12ga and 9mm rounds as I was modifying a 336 marlin with a M-Lok grip. Sadly, an order from LAX Ammo didn’t come. I need .30-30 ammo in MA.

Thoughts?

Btw. Been reading this forum for a bit. Thanks to you all for insights and info!
.30-.30 shouldn't be hard to find. Target Sports, or call your LGS and see if they can order some. It's the 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62x39 that has been bought up the most. I doubt there has been a run on .30-.30

30-30 is popular Fudd gun ammo, not saying you OP are a Fudd. But I bet when this cornhole virus came about 30-30 started drying up as they also are thinking long term and rifle protection.

Saw a few boxes at the Sturbridge Walmart when I walked by there ammo case this week.

@DrummerGunner, if you don't want to drive hither and yon around the Commonwealth, become a member on here and post a WTB ad for .30-30.

I don't live in Mass, but when I visited a gunsmith today to pick up a gun, he had plenty of boxes of .30-30. So if you want to go ammo hunting, you should be fine. Call ahead to save yourself time and to prevent the shop from having to deal with another "do you have any more X?" "Nope" situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. There is a whole pile of guys, one box of 30/30 lasts them exactly 20 years.

View attachment 339475
I have a Marlin 336 30-30 and I bought 10 boxes back when I bought the gun in 1985. I've used exactly 1.5 boxes. I think I paid $1.59 per box of 20. I'm going to keep them, you never know when you might need them after all my .223 is gone.

I have a funny 30-30 story since we are all on lockdown. When my father passed I was helping my mom clean up stuff and we found a case of 30-30 ammo. I hunted deer with my Dad every year in Western PA and he never had a 30-30. He also didn’t just buy ammo for no reason. I stopped in at the only gun shop my dad ever used and shared a few stories with the owner and friend of my dads, but he said your father never bought a 30-30. Three years after his death I was woodchuck hunting and was down to my last few rounds so I stopped at a gun store and bought some 22-250. Looked in the case and I saw a Springfield RO in the case way under priced. He had special ordered it and the guy never picked it up, I bought it and did the 4473. He looked at my name and said you wouldn’t know a fella with the same last name first name Bob. I said he was my dad. He went in the back and walked back with a Marlin 30-30. He said the guy paid us and asked us to special order a scope and mount it up. They had called his cell phone many times they said, the receipt was dated two days before he had died.

I have a funny 30-30 story since we are all on lockdown. When my father passed I was helping my mom clean up stuff and we found a case of 30-30 ammo. I hunted deer with my Dad every year in Western PA and he never had a 30-30. He also didn’t just buy ammo for no reason. I stopped in at the only gun shop my dad ever used and shared a few stories with the owner and friend of my dads, but he said your father never bought a 30-30. Three years after his death I was woodchuck hunting and was down to my last few rounds so I stopped at a gun store and bought some 22-250. Looked in the case and I saw a Springfield RO in the case way under priced. He had special ordered it and the guy never picked it up, I bought it and did the 4473. He looked at my name and said you wouldn’t know a fella with the same last name first name Bob. I said he was my dad. He went in the back and walked back with a Marlin 30-30. He said the guy paid us and asked us to special order a scope and mount it up. They had called his cell phone many times they said, the receipt was dated two days before he had died.

Good thing you bought the RO!!!

Thoughts?

Targetsportsusa.com

What an awesome story! I hope you have had the opportunity to enjoy that rifle and spend some time thinking of your dad.

I sold my 30/30 a couple years ago and had some leftover ammo in the safe. I made the OP an offer on it a couple hours ago, waiting on his response. I think it was a very fair price.

jesus op, i've never seen a fudd assault weapon before. can you put up pics please?

55754d1327005469-mossberg-tactical-lever-action-rifle-41026.gif

I love lever guns, but I get queasy when I see an abomination like this^
It's probably a good thing that John Wayne and Chuck Connors never lived long enough to see it.

Last edited:
55754d1327005469-mossberg-tactical-lever-action-rifle-41026.gif

I love lever guns, but I get queasy when I see an abomination like this^
It's probably a good thing that John Wayne and Chuck Connors never lived long enough to see it.

That thing makes my left eye start to twitch uncontrollably every time I see it. Goddammit Mossberg, just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Meh. There is a whole pile of guys, one box of 30/30 lasts them exactly 20 years.

View attachment 339475

Haha! Yep. I had a box of 20 rounds fired one a year. The point being that it’s a ‘one shot, one kill’ type of round. THAT is why I like it for personal defense. Not overpowering like a .308 or 30.06. Not underpowered like a .22 or (sorry guys) 5.56. It fires and drops em.

Back
Top Bottom