30 06 woods master help

So my father has this 30 06 Remington woods master. There is maybe 100 rounds through it.. About two years ago my brother was shooting it and it jammed up with a live round in it. My brother seems to think every gun on the planet should be fired as fast as he can possibly pull the trigger... so I chalked it up to that. My dad sent it to a local fella who said he sent it out to Remington charged us 125.00 and said it was fixed..... again my brother took it out came back again with a live round in it.... this time the local guy charged 200 I picked it up and he said he ran 20 rounds through it and it was perfect.... So as to keep my brother away I brought it my place... took it out for the first time today.,.. First shot the round did not eject... I understand the gun so I didn't get a live round jammed inside.. I needed to use a cleaning rod to pop out the casing... after I examined the casing only issue I could find was a chunk taken out of the back..... any ideas what's wrong.... I imagine its a ejector problem any more specific info would help....IMG_20121119_183501_931.jpg

Looks like the casing got stuck in the chamber and the extractor tore it off. Chamber out of tolerance or excessive pressure would cause that I believe. Can you check the headspace? Are those reloads you're shooting?

Last edited:
Not a reload. Can't check the head space but that makes sense.... will check out the you tube video in a few hours.. I have no gunsmithing ability will be going back but I just would like to walk in and say this is what's wrong

If it's a known issue as Tim says I would contact the manufacturer. Although I don't have anything nice to say about Remington at the moment. I discovered the receiver was cracked in my 597 .22 cal rifle recently. I contacted the manufacturer as this was also a known issue.

I was polite and explained my situation. The rep basically said I over tightened the barrel to the receiver. This was news to me as in the 14 years I've owned the rifle I had never removed the barrel from the receiver.

I did remove the factory finish as I was going to Duracoat it. I hung the barreled action overnight and the next day it was cracked. Someone here suggested the weight of the barrel on the receiver likely was the cause. For lack of a better explanation I think they were right.

They wanted to charge me 40 bucks to look at it - not including additional repair costs or shipping costs. No thanks. Ruger 10/22 looking better and better each day. I hope you have better luck.

Just a thought, did the gun sit for a long time at some point and the chamber wasn't cleaned before being put away? If there is pitting in the chamber when the shot is fired the brass swells into the pits.
Gun sat 20 years easy..... and my dad is far from stellar at cleaning guns may be the answer there

Back
Top Bottom