• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

30-06 hunting and lead free reload options

I am thinking about reloading some lead free 30-06 ammo for deer season this year. I'll be using an old FN mauser that belonged to my late grandfather. In the past I have had decent accuracy with the federal 165gr trophy copper bullets in this rifle.

I was curious if anyone had any experiences with Barnes TTSX (maybe 165gr) or the Hornady GMX line of bullets in 30-06. Anyone try Varget or H4895?

Other suggestions are always welcome beyond Hornady and Barnes.

Thanks.

Barnes TTSX 165gr over 49.8gr IMR 4064 with CCI 200 is my load. I forget the OAL off hand, but its the Barnes recommendation. all one hole and i don't usually shoot like that YMMV. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.

Hit a 151lb dressed two years ago from 75 yards and it made it 15 yards.

In an older Mauser i personally would probably shy away from an almost max load like that. I did find a good one somewhere around 47 gr in the ladder, but opted for the faster load as i have a potential 350+yd shot in VT.

Now, here's a radical idea...18g plastic riot bullets.
Odds are they won't drop a deer, but for small varmints, they'd be deadly, I'd think. Here's what they do to a water-filled can (7.62x51mm, load data unavailable/forgotten):

IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG

Back
Top Bottom