• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

30-06 Garand surplus ammo

btnh6668

NES Member
yea yea its another one of these threads. I currently have a decent quantity of cmp surplus ammo that i am just not going to go through seeing that ive gone to the range 2 times in 2 years. I have been out of the surplus market for a while and just saw that the CMP no longer has surplus so i lost my guide as far as cost goes. If one was to be interested in exchanging this ammo for say money as an example how much do you think 1000 rounds would go for? Its all greek mostly from 70's. also should there be a price difference if the quantity was say... 2000 rounds? Thanks

If it's in spam cans in bandoliers, you might want to open them and check the contents before you offer it up for sale or trade. I had a few cans out of 60 that looked fine from the outside but had had water infiltrate and the bandoliers were disintegrated and the ammo corroded beyond salvaging.

i say this, when did you buy it ?
Also is any of it in clips and bando's
Is the ammo all the same head stamp.

i might have to let some of my ammo go also to fund some repairs.
the problem is you can buy new production right now for less than the last offerings from the cmp.

the problem is you can buy new production right now for less than the last offerings from the cmp.
This.

You can get brand new same lot PPU 30-06 for 64 cents per round shipped. Hell, and that includes a new 50 cal ammo can - the ammo can must be worth $15?
PPU 30-06 Springfield Ammo M1 Garand 150 Gr FMJ 500 Rds Ammo Can

So for loose mixed headstamp HXP 30-06 ammo, I don't know how/why anyone would pay more than 50-55 cents per round.

Guy recently listed 192 round cans contain HXP72 M2 Ball in 8-round clips and bandoleers $160 each shipped on CMP forum. Sold all cans in two days

Shipping ammo through mail.... sounds risky. Perhaps i can find a local member on the cmp pages if it does not sell here .

There's no risk and nothing hard or overly expensive about shipping ammo. It must ship by ground service using either fedex or UPS and you just need to slap an ORM-D diamond label on the box somewhere and UPS has those on their site so you can just print one out. There's no hazmat fees, no signature required, it ships just like a box of bricks. I just take mine to the UPS store after printing a pre-paid label on UPS.com and hand it to them. Never a question or issue.

Guy recently listed 192 round cans contain HXP72 M2 Ball in 8-round clips and bandoleers $160 each shipped on CMP forum. Sold all cans in two days
Last 192 cans i bought where in 2010 it was $106 shipped
55 cents per round.
i know a old timer who was buying up 192 rx sealed tins of HXP and offering 25% over cmp price to buy it.
Later we found out he was selling the clips/bando/card boards on ebay. $15 each .... $60. He then sold the open cans to a photographer who was doing military photo projects.
Then we found out he was selling the ammo at gun shows for 75¢ per round and getting it.
I ended up meeting the photographer and sold him many cans and he paid me $15 a can if i opened them from the bottom as to keep them looking un opened.

Last edited:
There's no risk and nothing hard or overly expensive about shipping ammo. It must ship by ground service using either fedex or UPS and you just need to slap an ORM-D diamond label on the box somewhere and UPS has those on their site so you can just print one out. There's no hazmat fees, no signature required, it ships just like a box of bricks. I just take mine to the UPS store after printing a pre-paid label on UPS.com and hand it to them. Never a question or issue.
Maybe im looking up the cost wrong but a 12lb can of HXP came out to $31 from ma to ca not that it matters.
Ok I forgot I moved a bunch of my ammo and the box of 192 spam cans are easy access right now.
so from my ups account and a re weigh of the box ( the can is still in original shipping box from cmp 407-CAN $96 plus 8.95 ship on the 2010 packing slip.
9x6x7" box 15lbs $21 from MA to FL- just happened to have a FL address in my address folder on UPS.

Last edited:
poking around I found the last price for cmp HXP loose was 200 rounds at .80 cents per round shipped

if you have the post HXP enblocs they are about $1 each

I saw your Classified Ad an thought the price was reasonable. I may not be moving real fast because of the time of year. Lots of folks on vacation and such.
~Matt

Back
Top Bottom