$3 mail order rifles in 1885

$3-6 in 1885 seems to be equal to about $80-160 now. Just to put it into perspective. So that "Famous $15 Shotgun" is like $400 now, advertised there at a discount to $320. Not so bad for a good shottie.

Given that they're specifying a breech-loader just above at $13 (about $350 now), I'd imagine those $3-6 rifles were all muzzleloaders. I doubt anyone wanted them by 1885.

John Haynes, the guitar retailer in the previous column at 33 Court St, is now that ugly-ass Brutalist monstrosity around the corner from City Hall.

$3-6 in 1885 seems to be equal to about $80-160 now. Just to put it into perspective. So that "Famous $15 Shotgun" is like $400 now, advertised there at a discount to $320. Not so bad for a good shottie.

Given that they're specifying a breech-loader just above at $13 (about $350 now), I'd imagine those $3-6 rifles were all muzzleloaders. I doubt anyone wanted them by 1885.

John Haynes, the guitar retailer in the previous column at 33 Court St, is now that ugly-ass Brutalist monstrosity around the corner from City Hall.

I wish I had the catalog to see what they were selling. Here's the full page and a couple more interesting ones from another page

20200915_180317.jpg20200915_194820.jpg20200915_194657.jpg

Just found this too, 1920 womans magazine with some food prices advertising quaker oats

20200915_200250.jpg

I'm more interested in Dr Piero's oxygen treatment for my nervous prostration.
I saw that, but the Red Clover blossoms that can cure cancer and purify your blood are probably a better bang for your buck.

$3 mail order rifles in 1885

Worth every penny...

look up what Haynes & Tilton Guitars from that era are bringing at auction... several thousand dollars

Avsrage weekly wages by occupation in MA during that time:

It basically cost a weeks gross wage (for the $15 rifles). After taxes, probably more like 1.5 weeks wage.

Without going full retard and not taking COVID pricing into consideration, someone making around $15/hr gets $600 gross per week. $600 can buy nice guns that will last for decades.

In the 1870s, a Colt .45 was around $17.

Last edited:
Not the same State, but average weekly wages by occupation in MA during that time:

It basically cost a weeks gross wage (for the $15 rifles). After taxes, probably more like 1.5 weeks wage.

Without going full retard and not taking COVID pricing into consideration, someone making around $15/hr gets $600 gross per week. $600 can buy nice guns that will last for decades.

There's one ad in there for steam engineers for $100/month

These old ads are always interesting.

The good old days of $100 SKS‘s and $75 Mosins was not to long ago.

These old ads are always interesting.

The good old days of $100 SKS‘s and $75 Mosins was not to long ago.

No, they weren't, were they. I got my C&R towards the end of that period, and if I knew then what I know now I'd have bought more stuff. If only I was psychic.

My lowest price buy was some Vz24 Mausers from Century. They had been selling them for a while, and had run through all the good ones. To get rid of the rest, they were selling "5-fers" in what they called Good, Cracked Stock condition. I was buying something else, but I couldn't pass the 5-fer for $145 shipped. They were awful, but 4 out of 5 were functional. Pitting below the woodline, oil soaked stocks covered in chips with the occasional cracks, sewer pipe bores. Even accounting for the one with the damaged chamber, $37 dollar working rifles. I'd guess 1994, maybe??

Back
Top Bottom