• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 July Westfield USPSA Classifier 6 Stateg

The up coming match at Westfield is a classifier match. 6 Stages.
Great time to get classified.

I'm bringing an 8 shot 627 (38 Super) and going to try to enter twice. Once in L-10 and once in Production!!!

If someone needs a revolver to shoot let me know.

See you there.

George

hmmmm interesting... even if just to watch. It's a drive for me though.

Don't watch, shoot. A classifier match isn't a bad place to start because the stages will mostly be straightforward stand and deliver stuff.

I might try to make it out for this, not sure of my 4 July weekend plans yet.

Don't watch, shoot. A classifier match isn't a bad place to start because the stages will mostly be straightforward stand and deliver stuff.

I might try to make it out for this, not sure of my 4 July weekend plans yet.

Thanks for the invitation to try it out - I am still very new to it. I am going to try and work on getting some practice in and who knows I may very well go ahead and enter. Can you enter same day or is it pre-registration?

Thanks for the invitation to try it out - I am still very new to it. I am going to try and work on getting some practice in and who knows I may very well go ahead and enter. Can you enter same day or is it pre-registration?

You don't need to be better to shoot, just be safe. Practice or not, shoot the match

You don't need to be better to shoot, just be safe. Practice or not, shoot the match

If you shoot the match, you'll have a classification just from the 6 classifiers you just shot. If you are a USPSA member that is. Then, you only have one direction to go, up!

If you shoot the match, you'll have a classification just from the 6 classifiers you just shot. If you are a USPSA member that is. Then, you only have one direction to go, up!

Nice - I like the way that works.
I must admit that it may fall on a weekend I find out I am unavailable but as of right now I am putting it on my calender.

USPSA has. OPEN- anything goes any optics and comp gets you here
LIMITED- High Cap Autos typically (8 shot revolver could also work)
LIMITED 10 - 10 rounds only (8 shot revolver would also work)
SINGLE STACK - Classic 1911
REVOLVER - Only 6 shots before a reload
PRODUCTION - I'm not sure of all the rules but think of a Glock (8 shot revolver would also work)

USPSA has. OPEN- anything goes any optics and comp gets you here
LIMITED- High Cap Autos typically (8 shot revolver could also work)
LIMITED 10 - 10 rounds only (8 shot revolver would also work)
SINGLE STACK - Classic 1911
REVOLVER - Only 6 shots before a reload
PRODUCTION - I'm not sure of all the rules but think of a Glock (8 shot revolver would also work)

So I figure that puts me in the Limited 10 or Production division.
Thanks for the details and explanation.

So I figure that puts me in the Limited 10 or Production division.
Thanks for the details and explanation.

The XD45 probably fits best in limited-10. In production, you'd be competing head to head with people shooting light loaded 9mm. In L-10, 45 will score 'major', which gives you more points for C and D hits. This offsets the time it costs to manage the heavier recoil.

First USPSA Match might as well make it a classifier!

I think I'll shoot this match. It will be my first USPSA match, I have been shooting IDPA awhile. So I would end up with a classification at the end? Does it take 6 "classifier stages" to get the official classification? I'll be shooting a G34, in production I assume. Just have to learn how to do surrender starts and how to drop a loaded mag.
Any other suggestions for an IDPA crossover newbie to USPSA?

David E.

The XD45 probably fits best in limited-10. In production, you'd be competing head to head with people shooting light loaded 9mm. In L-10, 45 will score 'major', which gives you more points for C and D hits. This offsets the time it costs to manage the heavier recoil.

Ok well there seems to be much I need to learn but I will get there.
Once again thanks for the explanation as to what to expect.

I think I just need to go online and read through the USPSA guide/rule book to get more familiar.

Nuke8401, shoot the match, these special classifiers do not come often (kind of like IDPA classifiers). To get the opportunity to classify in one match is something that happens only once or twice a year. You won't need to worry much about the "crossing" over deal. With classifiers you are barely going to move. Maybe from one square to another square max. Maybe a right or left hand stage mixed in there...but other than that nothing at all complicated. If they let you (not sure if it will be allowed for this match) you should try to enter twice with the same gun. The first time I did a classifier, I think I used a Glock 22 or 34 and used it for Limited and Production. At least this way you are classified in two divisions. I think one time I classified in Open, Limited-10, Single Stack all in one match...I was exhausted by the end though.

I think I'll shoot this match. It will be my first USPSA match, I have been shooting IDPA awhile. So I would end up with a classification at the end? Does it take 6 "classifier stages" to get the official classification? I'll be shooting a G34, in production I assume. Just have to learn how to do surrender starts and how to drop a loaded mag.
Any other suggestions for an IDPA crossover newbie to USPSA?
David E.
Yup, the G34 fits perfectly in production. Yes, you'll have a classification at the end, as long as you join USPSA before the match. Initial classifications are based on the best 4 of your first 6 classifiers. After that, it's best 6 of the most recent 8.

Shooting a classifier match won't be very different from IDPA. Shooting regular matches, the biggest difference for me was stage planning on longer field courses. The key is to come up with a decent plan and then run it a few times airgunning the course and run it a bunch more times in your head. A decent plan executed well beats the crap out of an awesome plan executed poorly.

Thanks for the info. I could look this up but are the stage defined like in IDPA and avalable to study?

Yes, but there are tons of them. USPSA has a whole book of classifier stages. It's up to the hosting club to pick which ones they want to run. Not sure if they'll tell you ahead of time or not. http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-classifier-list.php has the book. It's probably worth glancing through, just to get an idea of things that come up most often.

Jar thanks,

Ouch! There are a lot of them!

David,
There are a lot of them, and technically, they're not difficult. They just suck you in, and send you down in flames![grin]
On another note, are you going to the shotgun shoot at Independent on Saturday?

So I see that you can join the USPSA through the website. Is a membership required/recommended prior to coming to the event.
Is it worthwhile to register/become a member before I have even been to a match?
Sorry for the newb questions just don't want to waste anyone's time once I am there. Thanks

So I see that you can join the USPSA through the website. Is a membership required/recommended prior to coming to the event.
Is it worthwhile to register/become a member before I have even been to a match?
Sorry for the newb questions just don't want to waste anyone's time once I am there. Thanks
It's not required, but, the scores won't count if you join later. It's worth joining and getting the Front Sight magazine.

Back
Top Bottom