3 gun match at Harvard sportsmans Club June 10th

There is a 3 gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun) match this weekend at Harvard Sportsmans Club. There are 6 stages total. (2 pistol, 2 shotgun, and 2 rifle) 65 yards is the maximum rifle distance. No slugs for shotgun, all birdshot (#7 and smaller). Only $20 to run and gun with all 3 guns!!! How can you go wrong. Come check it out if you have a chance and bring all your guns for a great day of fun. If you don't have long guns I'm sure you can share with many of us. Ask all the questions you can think of and come join us.

ps. does anyone know the round counts for all 3 guns?

Pete

There is a 3 gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun) match this weekend at Harvard Sportsmans Club. There are 6 stages total. (2 pistol, 2 shotgun, and 2 rifle) 65 yards is the maximum rifle distance. No slugs for shotgun, all birdshot (#7 and smaller). Only $20 to run and gun with all 3 guns!!! How can you go wrong. Come check it out if you have a chance and bring all your guns for a great day of fun. If you don't have long guns I'm sure you can share with many of us. Ask all the questions you can think of and come join us.

ps. does anyone know the round counts for all 3 guns?

Pete

As many as you want to shoot Pete [rofl][rofl][rofl]

WAG=100 each will be close.

There will be 1/2-size IPSC metric targets at the 65 and 50 yard distances to simulate longer rifle shots. We will also be using a bunch of new 8-inch plates at those distances. (I don't think we'll use the 1/2-size for pistol ... at least I don't THINK we will.)

Very rough estimates for minimum round counts:
50 - 60 Birdshot
65 Pistol
70 Rifle

Half size for pistol??? The whining will be deafening!
Dan,I'm gonna try to drag out another "flintlock" shooter.

Dan - Does this mean you won't be using the 200/300 yard range? I need figure out if I'll use the rifle with the Weaver 1-3 or the ACOG.

Did you miss slugs, or are we really not having any in this match ?

Also, Gary will be running the EzWinScore update that supports 3 gun scoring with the Palms so we won't hae that pesky paper to deal with.

Rob,
Too many choices, use one gun for everything!

How can he use one gun for everything when the match requires 3 guns??? haha

I need to get to the range to sight in my rifle. Looks like the IPSC practice tomorrow night will be spent getting my rifle sighted in.

Sorry, no 200/300 yard range this time (lazy, lazy, lazy). But the 1/2 size target at 70 yards will be somewhat similar to full-size at 140 yards, and we can have a lot more shots without taking eons to score.

And, yes, this means that there will be no slugs. When we say, "small 3-gun match," I guess we mean "small." We figured that with only 2 shotgun stages, folks would have more fun smashing steel than making poofy holes in cardboard. (Someday, we'll figure out some targets so that we smackdown steel with slugs and then we'll REALLY start having fun.)

And, yes, this means that there will be no slugs. When we say, "small 3-gun match," I guess we mean "small." We figured that with only 2 shotgun stages, folks would have more fun smashing steel than making poofy holes in cardboard. (Someday, we'll figure out some targets so that we smackdown steel with slugs and then we'll REALLY start having fun.)

Dan,
Steel plates 1" thick. Shot them before :)

Dan,
Steel plates 1" thick. Shot them before :)

We've got some 1 inch plates and we use them for rifle, but they're soft like a normal popper, they pit terribly, and look like the surface of the moon. I don't think we want to bounce the slow moving slugs off them.

I want some AR500 that's 1 inch thick. Donations being excepted.

And yes, the 1/2 size targets have proportional scoring zones. They're not USPSA-legal, but they're fun.

Last edited:
No Dan, you don't want to use those plates! I saw a chunk of a slug bounce back off a 75 yard plate, and screw up a shooter's hand. The man was an accomplished bullseye shooter who often shot a 300 in competition.

Today was my first 3 gun match, and I had some fun, and I learned a lot.

For instance: if you stuff 21 rounds in a 20 rnd AR mag, it will not seat, I did this to 3 mags.
also on the same stage, I turned the eotech to its max setting, which coupled with the bright sun, made it impossible to pick up the small plates that were about 70 yards out.

I had a ball shooting the shotgun.

Thanks to everyone involved in putting the match together, and thanks to Roundgun Shooter for all his help.

+1 Gary... Awesome time! You should see my sun burn. I look like a lobsta(hence the name whitey!)

Wish I had a choke in my shotgun. It just didn't have the power to take all the plates off the star and I paid for it in points ;o) I also had some cycling problems on stage 1 with the plate rack.

Jumping off the stairs and charging the port with multiple targets was fun.

Don't worry about that stage. There was a serious problem with the plates getting locked into the star and that stage should have been thrown out (no offense to those that it worked for). A full choke didn't help anyone on our squad. Matt and I were shooting with my PolyChoke on Xtra-full with 1300fps 7.5 sporting clays loads and most of the plates on the star wouldn't budge. Matt finally figured out that double tapping them worked. I ROed a bunch of shooters and watched dead-on hits on the plates doing nothing. Hundreds of rounds went down range just sighting in my dot, checking the pattern, and trying it on different pieces of steel.

Other than that, it was fun! Thanks to the Harvard crew for putting it on.

This reminds me of a shotgun steel plate match I shot in RI a long time ago. The match flyer specified #7 shot or lighter. The Match Director "calibrated" the plates with a 30 inch full choke gun. Of course, most of the competitors were using 18 inch cylinder bore barrels. A lot of the plates didn't even move!

This reminds me of a shotgun steel plate match I shot in RI a long time ago. The match flyer specified #7 shot or lighter. The Match Director "calibrated" the plates with a 30 inch full choke gun. Of course, most of the competitors were using 18 inch cylinder bore barrels. A lot of the plates didn't even move!

For some it was ugly. You could see the shot go right around the plates. I saw the plates calibrated with a full choke 20Gauge and go down every time but anyone with IC chokes had trouble. Glad I put my Modified in.

It was my first match since April. (It showed) But I had a great time.

The plates on the star looked like they were coming out of the dovetail and sticking down between the spring and holder. At one point I heard an RO say he couldn't knock them out with his hand. Also, we were easily knocking down the large poppers set further back than the star. I was running the timer for Matt and his last two plates were hanging there and even double tapping them it took 10 seconds of pounding them to make those two drop. It was not a choke or barrel length issue.

It's a shame that some nitwit with steel or armor piercing ammo did not follow the instructions of the match director and used that stuff on the plates. I saw multiple new holes in plates that would not have been there if shooters followed instructions. Some people went to great lengths not to puncture the steel - one shooter in our squad borrow ammo for the steel since his primary supply was S&B steel core, and another deliberately took misses on all plates to avoid trashing the equipment.

I vote for eliminating stars from all USPSA/IPSC events, pistol included. This opinion comes not from me, the marginal competitor, but from me, the guy trying to run fair, fun matches.

Stars are too unpredictable. I saw a GM on television stating as gently as he could that stars are a crapshoot.

The problem is that one "abnormal" plate release affects the presentation of all the remaining plates.

In comparison, if a popper falls slowly, it often has little affect on other targets. However, when a slow popper hampers activation of a swinger, competitors are rightfully upset.

With the star, each plate routinely affects all of the remaining plates and rarely do 2 competitors get an equal presentation. Not only can plates release slowly, they do other weird things like fall into the star itself and whack things around. And I dare you to just try requesting a calibration on a star plate at your regional Area championship.

So, join me in writing to your congressmen to have stars restricted to side-matches and gambling parlors.

Back
Top Bottom