3% added credit card fee

Just a heads up that this was a topic of discussion on the news. Not sure if it applies to the gun shops but they were saying it was illegal for car dealerships to charge it.
Only posting so our beloved shops don’t run themselves into any issues regarding the charge.

I own a business that takes cards. I dont add any extra for a card. But I understand those that do. My gun guy gets hit with 3% with his already low margins on new guns. Ill either bring cash or pay the fee. It is fair.
Bigger companies should eat it or adjust the prices up 3% and if someone pays cash its a win

As explained by the shop​

No prob

Why do we list two prices on our new firearms?​

“The 1st price is if you pay with a credit card. The 2nd price is if you pay with cash, personal check, or debit card.​

Please note: We do not assess a surcharge for using a credit card. We offer a discount for not using one.”​

car dealerships are now pulling this BS, if you take credit cards, the post off is part of the cost of doing business... adding 3% onto a parts and service order will have me looking for somewhere else to go

car dealerships are now pulling this BS, if you take credit cards, the post off is part of the cost of doing business... adding 3% onto a parts and service order will have me looking for somewhere else to go
So if an item is 103 bucks instead of 100 you are gonna shop around?

As explained by the shop​

No prob

Why do we list two prices on our new firearms?​

“The 1st price is if you pay with a credit card. The 2nd price is if you pay with cash, personal check, or debit card.​

Please note: We do not assess a surcharge for using a credit card. We offer a discount for not using one.”​

This is exactly right. The agreement with the credit card processors is that one cannot surcharge for credit.

They can absolutely offer a cash discount.

So if an item is 103 bucks instead of 100 you are gonna shop around?
I do it already.... I chase discounts all the time for parts.

And the dealers and suppliers that give me the best prices get my business.

I needed keys encoded for my Mustang, I don't have my high end scan tool here so I had to pay someone to do it.

The local dealer wanted $145 dollars, plus the cost of the key $39.00, PLUS sales tax and 3%

I ordered the keys online and a local locksmith did it in 15 minutes including cutting 2 keys and going into the computer to add the keys.

I gave him $60.00 cash, no receipt needed

Why did I walk out of the dealership? Not the cost but the 3% add on.... and I could have easily paid cash.

I wanted new wheels for the car, I could have gotten them locally for 140 each, there was a dealership 90 minutes up the road that was willing to do it for $95 each and take my Florida resale tax number saving me another 25 bucks in sales tax. To save $200 bucks I'll take the trip as I didn't have anything else to do.

The matter arose when they gave a lady was giving a bill of $1500 and was charged just shy of $50 because she used a credit card
I agree. But of her bill was 1550 and she paid a card fine. If she paid cash dealer wins. Makes sense to me. Just add the fee into the price always

I do it already.... I chase discounts all the time for parts.

And the dealers and suppliers that give me the best prices get my business.

I needed keys encoded for my Mustang, I don't have my high end scan tool here so I had to pay someone to do it.

The local dealer wanted $145 dollars, plus the cost of the key $39.00, PLUS sales tax and 3%

I ordered the keys online and a local locksmith did it in 15 minutes including cutting 2 keys and going into the computer to add the keys.

I gave him $60.00 cash, no receipt needed

Why did I walk out of the dealership? Not the cost but the 3% add on.... and I could have easily paid cash.

I wanted new wheels for the car, I could have gotten them locally for 140 each, there was a dealership 90 minutes up the road that was willing to do it for $95 each and take my Florida resale tax number saving me another 25 bucks in sales tax. To save $200 bucks I'll take the trip as I didn't have anything else to do.
I guess I'm saying that adding the 3% after is too honest. Just add it beforehand

Handling and processing cash typically is more expensive or a wash in comparison to debit/credit.

I personally don't use credit cards.

in Massachusetts It is illegal to charge more for a card. But you can offer a discount for cash
This.

Except those of us that get 2% back when using cards do get a discount. Its the only reason I use a card for things I'm going to buy anyway or charge for work expenses.

7K to date put back in my savings for using a CC. 0 interest paid ever.

I had a restaurant pull this shit last summer, I think it was the Talkative Pig in Chatham. I will not go there again.

I had a restaurant pull this shit last summer, I think it was the Talkative Pig in Chatham. I will not go there again.
Kelly's Place in Norton. We went there all the time, until the last time, they added a card fee with no warning.

Now, if you want to do that, that's your business. But if you're going to do it and you don't mention it on the menu, on the door, or on your website, that's just scummy. We won't go back, and in this market, businesses can't afford to lose too many repeat customers.

Back
Top Bottom