• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3% added credit card fee

I use intuit which charges everyone the same fee regardless of industry. the same rates as sqaure or paypal or any of the other gig processors
Just wondering. I am one to read actually read the contracts and I see firearms exclusions sometimes on most of the processors
Square has a firearms exclusion as well as PayPal, and intuit excludes firearms. Figured those who process the industry would inflate the pricing.

That is extremely presumptuous of you to tell me what the cost of doing business is.

It is the cost of you using a credit card, not the cost of doing business. It is your choice to use plastic, so you can pay that cost. I will not charge my cash customers for your convenience or laziness or whatever reason you use plastic. More than 50% of my customers choose to pay cash and appreciate that product is priced to their advantage for doing so. Gun owners as a group are far more likely to use cash than the average schmuck that shops at starbucks.

It is also an age thing. The younger the customer, the more likely they are to not have cash. But given I don't specialize in cheap guns, my average customer is not on the younger side.
Charging a fee for cc use is illegal in MA. Is it presumptuous of me to say so. Giving a discount for cash is fine. I was talking generally so don't take it pointed at you. I don't know you or care to.

Charging a fee for cc use is illegal in MA. Is it presumptuous of me to say so. Giving a discount for cash is fine. I was talking generally so don't take it pointed at you. I don't know you or care to.
We have thoroughly covered the legality issue previously in this thread. We all offer cash discounts to work around that statist crap. But thanks for repeating what was said 20 times in the thread already and not otherwise adding to the conversation. You must be a democrat

My family is mostly in construction, I've seen that cash benefit
I ask every contractor or company who does any work at my house if they give a cash discount. About a 50% hit rate, typically 2% to 5%. Best one I ever saw was well over 10%.

So it is all your fault!

Neither of us contradicted the other in any way. We just have different perspectives that we are looking at the problem from.
The funny thing was I got into the business working for a startup and we did fraud detection. We had a fraud engine that analyzed all kinds of data to determine if we thought the transaction was fraudulent. These were online purchases only. We were very good and got scooped up Fifth Third Bank and they spun off their CC processing which was bought by WorldPay, a London company, which was then bought by FIS.

What i am working on these days is allowing US Merchants to accept Canadian Debit Cards and then make sure the transactions are routed correctly to the Canadian Debit Networks.

I ask every contractor or company who does any work at my house if they give a cash discount. About a 50% hit rate, typically 2% to 5%. Best one I ever saw was well over 10%.
Make sure you specify cash as in greenbacks, not a check ;)

Make sure you specify cash as in greenbacks, not a check ;)
Purely by chance, I've found that saying "Is there a discount for paying with cash instead of by check?" works best. I guess it must be a real nuisance for these guys to get down to the bank during normal business hours. [laugh]

Why? It's the cost of doing business. Do you price in all your other overhead?

Your assertion is that businesses price in the 3% THEN charge an extra 3%. Roadglide made the same assertion earlier - that businesses are out there just to F you.

Here's the problem with that argument: Businesses are run by people. If a majority of businesses are looking to F you, then a majority of employees AND customers are looking to F the business as well. (Because all 3 are sets of people. We can't assume that just the F'ers become business owners and managers. F'ers have to be meanly distributed.)

Ergo, either you are F'ng your boss AND your vendor already and it all works out OR your assumption is just wrong and as blanket as "all blacks can't swim" or "all Asians have small wieners."

What it CAN'T be is that you are the single pristine person out there and everyone is looking to F you. If you feel that way, you may need some help. Because it's no fun going through life believing that lie. People and businesses are, by and large, pretty honest and fair.

You picked a good user name, it fits. Charging a fee for cc use is illegal in MA. Is it presumptuous of me to say so. Giving a discount for cash is fine.

Your assertion is that businesses price in the 3% THEN charge an extra 3%. Roadglide made the same assertion earlier - that businesses are out there just to F you.

Here's the problem with that argument: Businesses are run by people. If a majority of businesses are looking to F you, then a majority of employees AND customers are looking to F the business as well. (Because all 3 are sets of people. We can't assume that just the F'ers become business owners and managers. F'ers have to be meanly distributed.)

Ergo, either you are F'ng your boss AND your vendor already and it all works out OR your assumption is just wrong and as blanket as "all blacks can't swim" or "all Asians have small wieners."

What it CAN'T be is that you are the single pristine person out there and everyone is looking to F you. If you feel that way, you may need some help. Because it's no fun going through life believing that lie. People and businesses are, by and large, pretty honest and fair.
Never said any such thing. Here is my first post which crackpot took as an insult to him and now like a sewing circle full of girls the assumptions just keep getting bigger. Very generic and not talking guns, refering to most businesses.

Post # 102 "By the way businesses already price in the 3% cost so adding it is BS. It's not like it's 1985 and cards are not widely used. These days people charge 59 cents. Young folks don't carry any cash at all."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom