3.4 million for a Ford?

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To the right person maybe. I am a Ford person and wouldn't pay more than $ 50,000 for that car. A million for a unmolested 427 AC Cobra maybe.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the price was because it was a "hero car" and it was driven by McQueen and owned at one time by his production company.

It could have been a VW beetle and the McQueen factor still would have pushed the price by a 10X multiple of its worth as a classic car/ hero car /movie car.

You can buy S code 67 Fastbacks all day long for under 50K

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost all semblance of how capital is moved in today's society. People playing video games making a million dollars a month, Tesla is the 'most valuable' car company (barely makes a profit), but hey, at least people have always spent stupid amounts of money on cars.

edit, because I just woke up and words are tough before coffvvve.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If someone really wanted that car, it would not matter where it was sold, they would show up.

All it takes is 2 people to have an auction, according to Wayne Carini

Mecum cut a deal to get that consignment, he probably waived the sellers fees in order to make the 350K buyers premium on the back side.

Plus he got a few hundred dollars in free publicity.

Buying auction cars is risky, as we say in the car business " putty and paint will make it what it ain't" , I'd rather cruise the local car shows and find a car I can look over closely before I make an offer.

There are a lot of really nice cars here in Florida, even inside my little gated winter escape community.

Guy across the street has 2 Vettes in his garage, I give him crap for not taking them out.

We were talking cars the other day and he tells me he sold his COPO Camaro, and it is up the street at Muscle Car city.

As soon as he said that I remembered the car, I had first seen it in 2014, 8100 miles on it. He said he found it in Northern Canada where it had been a drag car.

only 72 were exported to Canada BTW.

I asked him why the bleep he would ever let a car like that go... he said he had 5 of them and wanted to thin the herd.

Turns out he has quite the stash of really nice cars.

Now the kicker is he still has the spare tire from the COPO in his garage.

IMG_20140430_135313_902.jpg

IMG_20140430_135432_751.jpg

Come and take

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nice collector piece if you have the money to burn. Still drives like an old Mustang so nothing special.
Nice collector piece. Bullitt was a classic.

I take my old Mustang over any new Mustang . Nothing compares a classic muscle car to today’s new.

Here is my girl resting for the winter.

Attachments

Goliathan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've lost all semblance of how capital is moved in today's society. People playing video games making a million dollars a month, Tesla is the 'most valuable' car company (barely makes a profit), but hey, at least people have always spent stupid amounts of money on cars.

edit, because I just woke up and words are tough before coffvvve.
I feel you. But on the same token money moves just like it always has... value is decided by the consumer. If someone has a couple mil to burn and this is important to them, then hey, why the hell not?

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Why is everyone so hostile toward the buyer?

There are plenty of NES members making under $200K and spending $50K on cars/trucks, most of which are used as mall crawlers. That's 25% of your pre tax income (if you make $200K) for a depreciating asset.
Yup, not to mention this like some other cars is not a depreciating asset. Some folks here would be surprised at how much people make investing in cars. What did the slant nose Porsche go for 10 years ago? And what does it go for now?. My brother worked for Them for many years. There was more than one occasion where a car would come in on order and they would offer the buyer more money than they paid for it to keep the car because the value of the car jumped before delivery. You throw down 300 large for a super car and a year later you go to pick it up and they offer you 4 to keep it, not a bad return if you choose to leave the car, most don’t. Buy well and you won’t lose money and might hit a home run. I think the buyer here did just fine.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice collector piece. Bullitt was a classic.

I take my old Mustang over any new Mustang . Nothing compares a classic muscle car to today’s new.

Here is my girl resting for the winter.
That is my favorite car of all time, if I were to get back into cars, a 69 Fastback would be at the top of my list.

Executive

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Nothing compares a classic muscle car to today’s new.
I don't know...
While I agree you can't compare the character of the classic muscle car to today's versions, the new models do have quite a few advantages...
CSX_2555.jpegCSX_2556.jpeg

The best part is that each can be appreciated and enjoyed!
And every "classic" started life as a new car.

Chris

Last edited:

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Barrett Jackson, the More Money than Brains club.

Mecham is just a baby step behind.
Have to disagree. Most serious car collectors are guys who have earned their wealth by being extremely successful in business. No lack of brains there. These cars are not money-making investments to them, they are luxury items meant to be enjoyed, and these guys can easily afford them.

bigred460

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For me the Bullitt is a classic, as I am a fan of Steve Mcqueen. As far as an old Mustang, I would love to find a '71 Mach 1 429 SCJ.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can see why the "Tribute" cars are big sellers.
Would a reproduction of Boss 429 or a '70 Judge be less fun to drive than the original?

Not to derail, but did one of the Christine's go up for auction after a resto?

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see why the "Tribute" cars are big sellers.
Would a reproduction of Boss 429 or a '70 Judge be less fun to drive than the original?

Not to derail, but did one of the Christine's go up for auction after a resto?
Yes, owner refused 175k,no sale

Top Bottom