2nd Amendment Rally - Washington D.C., Nov. 2nd

I was wondering if anyone is planning on attending the rally on Nov. 2nd in D.C.

Hickock45 made a video about the rally on his channel, and I was surprised there wasn't already a thread here. (unless I missed it)

website: 2nd Amendment Rally | November 2nd, 2019 in Washington D.C.

Details:

"Attend The 2nd Amendment Rally: November 2, 2019, on the Capitol Lawn in Washington D.C.

If you value your constitutional right to bear arms, the right to defend yourself, and if you value the lives of the men and women who have died to keep those rights intact, now is the time to take a stand. Join us in Washington, DC on November 2nd 2019 and let your voice be heard.

We are at a critical time in our nation’s history, and right now, the country needs the Gun Lobby more than ever.

The 2nd Amendment Rally will take place on Saturday November 2nd, 2019 in Washington, DC. The rally begins in front of the Capitol Building at 1PM."

I signed up as a maybe...I'd love to go but would only go as part of a group.

NRA should bus all its members there. Holding breath...
Even better would be if all gun groups bused their members there and if they also offered a ride to those that aren't members but that are gun owners. We should all be in this fight together.

For what it's worth, I put more stock in contacting legislators, writing letters, helping spread the 2A word/applications, supporting groups like Gun Policy, Comm2A, GOAL, etc than a rally. For the most part, I don't see them as effective, unless like some have said, someone else is paying for the bus and looking to support membership in those groups. Unless you agree with what any particular rally theme, how many minds are changed? The country is too polarized nowadays. But at least this one won't have illegally blocked intersections at peak rush hour.....

For what it's worth, I put more stock in contacting legislators, writing letters, helping spread the 2A word/applications, supporting groups like Gun Policy, Comm2A, GOAL, etc than a rally. For the most part, I don't see them as effective, unless like some have said, someone else is paying for the bus and looking to support membership in those groups. Unless you agree with what any particular rally theme, how many minds are changed? The country is too polarized nowadays. But at least this one won't have illegally blocked intersections at peak rush hour.....
Additionally a rally on a Saturday, especially when the media is all in the anti-camp, is like talking to a brick wall. I'm sure that DC (Fed Bldgs) are a ghost town (wrt legistraitors) on weekends.

This report, at least at first glance, appears to be unbiased and just relating the happening without editorial flourishes -- imagine that.

The article states, "More than a thousand gun rights activists gathered at the U.S. Capitol on Saturday for what organizers call the first rally of its kind".

There were more folks in front of the State House after Healey pulled here crap, should we credit that to a greater sense of urgency or simple proximity?
I understand the challenges of traveling to attend a national event like this, after all I was not in DC and yet I am a little surprised that this event did not draw more.
What do you guys think would have improved attendance and/or impact?
Would simultaneous events at state capitals have been a better idea?

🐯

This report, at least at first glance, appears to be unbiased and just relating the happening without editorial flourishes -- imagine that.

The article states, "More than a thousand gun rights activists gathered at the U.S. Capitol on Saturday for what organizers call the first rally of its kind".

There were more folks in front of the State House after Healey pulled here crap, should we credit that to a greater sense of urgency or simple proximity?
I understand the challenges of traveling to attend a national event like this, after all I was not in DC and yet I am a little surprised that this event did not draw more.
What do you guys think would have improved attendance and/or impact?
Would simultaneous events at state capitals have been a better idea?

🐯
More notice might have helped. They always tend to do these with short notice. At each statehouse might get a better turnout. Also many if not most people probably believe that no matter what the turnout government will infringe upon our rights and they've decided civil disobedience or other courses of action may be more effective.

More notice might have helped. They always tend to do these with short notice. At each statehouse might get a better turnout.

Yes, this. I can turn up at a protest on Beacon Hill on a Saturday or Sunday, or after 6:00pm, with almost no notice whatsoever. Once you talk about going to something significantly farther away, I need to think about making hotel reservations and travel arrangements, and asking for time off of work. I'm new enough at my current workplace that I'm not really sure how much lead time is polite for that.

Looks like this one went about as well as the last one we tried 10 years ago.

Hoorah gun owners.

Bad news - protesting in DC (or Boston) has little effect on legilators in most cases.

Good news - protesting has little effect when the nanny-state liberals try it as well. MMM. Occupado Via del Wall. Etc.,

Here's the problem I have with these kinds of events. One they are utter nonsense, the needle isn't going to move one way or the other. Second, you know there are going to be some drunken redneck yahoos that are going to be there with gadsen flag/aborted fetus pictures and every single person there is going to be painted with the same brush. The right can't control their nuts any more than the left can. If some left wingers want to have their names, faces and reputations associated with protestors calling for killing the president or destroying society then so be it. Me, I have better things to do. I went to the Boston rally a few years and to this day I still want to understand what it did? Where I was standing there were some guys there who were obviously jacked up with yelling and shouting, not the face of a crowd I want to be associated with. Like @Hogie1 says above I think testifying in person, writing letters and contacting legislators and having a calm reasonable discussion is orders of magnitude more effective than being remembered for the rest of one's life in the media with jumping up and down shouting Heil Healey.

Because what y'all have done in mAss has been sooo effective the last 25 years eh?

Whats effective is turning people out on week days at bill/committee hearings.....then the turds/wanna be tyrants have to face down voters.

Do you think that you could do any better if 85% of your senate legislators and 80% of your house representatives were Democrats?

Absolutely correct. The last major success was in 2014: C 284. We had advocates that were turning out on weekdays, meeting with their state reps and senators. Clubs were involved and spreading the word. GOAL's Legislative Firearm Safety & Education Days were heavily attended.

C. 284 started out making C. 180 of 1998 look like a gift to LTC and FID holders. It was a monster of many hideous bills that attacked all aspects of 2A in the Commonwealth.

The gun owning community made a huge difference. By no means was it a total win. Many good people lost their FID "privileges". We stopped a some of the worst bills from becoming law, changed the outcome of many and even got some "freedom" back regarding minors, pepper spray. certain prohibitors, discontinue of class "B" licenses, never ending grace period, etc. Amazingly enough, some more entitlements are forthcoming and don't take effect until 2021. C&R holders will be able to receive eligible firearms from dealers licensed under C.140 sec 122. The burden of restrictions and denials will fall on the COP; That will be interesting to see how it plays out

Yes

If 5% of gun owners in ANY state were to show up at a hearing it would be thousands of people

It would instill massive fear in any/all pols at the mere thought of trying to run for another term

You are mightily misinformed on how the legislature works in MA. 5% of gun owners showing up means nothing to them. Hell, even the AG gets to reinterpret gun laws without answering to anyone.

When was the last time you got 100 people to show up for a hearing let alone thousands?

The fact of the matter is that you're displaying "battered gun owner syndrome"

You've accepted the fact that you've lost

As I stated, you don't know much about MA legislators. They know that the pro-gun crowd doesn't have enough voters to oust them from their office.

Here's the problem I have with these kinds of events. One they are utter nonsense, the needle isn't going to move one way or the other. Second, you know there are going to be some drunken redneck yahoos that are going to be there with gadsen flag/aborted fetus pictures and every single person there is going to be painted with the same brush. The right can't control their nuts any more than the left can. If some left wingers want to have their names, faces and reputations associated with protestors calling for killing the president or destroying society then so be it. Me, I have better things to do. I went to the Boston rally a few years and to this day I still want to understand what it did? Where I was standing there were some guys there who were obviously jacked up with yelling and shouting, not the face of a crowd I want to be associated with. Like @Hogie1 says above I think testifying in person, writing letters and contacting legislators and having a calm reasonable discussion is orders of magnitude more effective than being remembered for the rest of one's life in the media with jumping up and down shouting Heil Healey.
What do you mean? Are you trying to tell me the signs that focused on attacking Healey's sexual orientation or the guy with the "My rights TRUMP your DEAD!" sign won't win over those in the middle? Consider me shocked! [shocked]

just looked at the video and I see a few hundred white guys, a few women (maybe 1%) and no people of color.
Dunno what planet you're basing comments like that on but the video of DC doesnt support that nor does every hearing/protest we've had in NH for the last 10 years

just looked at the video and I see a few hundred white guys, a handful of women (maybe 1%) and no people of color. Are the rest of the 'every walk of life' hiding?

I've lived in uber liberal states that were much worse than mass and mass pols are no different than pols anywhere else

Put enough constituents in front of them and they put their finger in the air and start thinking about re-election

The problem isnt pols.....its constituents that wont make an effort for various reasons......and many of them are suffering from battered gun owner syndrome.....they're doing exactly what progressives want them to do......sit down, shut up and think they are defeated

And I'll gladly wager that those ultraliberal states that you lived in are still ultraliberal, so nothing has changed, which means that you and others weren't successful in getting enough constituents involved to scare them.

Here's the problem I have with these kinds of events. One they are utter nonsense, the needle isn't going to move one way or the other. Second, you know there are going to be some drunken redneck yahoos that are going to be there with gadsen flag/aborted fetus pictures and every single person there is going to be painted with the same brush. The right can't control their nuts any more than the left can.

How many 2A rallies have you been to? I haven't been to many, but I haven't seen anything like that, frankly.

-Mike

You're correct they are still ultra liberal

the reason they're still untraliberal is because gun owners act like battered gun owners

The few times we managed to get good turn out for bills we were able to defeat them despite the fact that the leg was dark blue....

the other 99% of the time it was the same 5-6 people plus a couple of lobbyists at bill hearings

If you're not going to get involved then you shouldnt expect legislators to vote in your intterests.......

In Essex County, 1 out of 5 state senators is an R. Four Rs out of 20 are state house reps. Fed. Rep. Seth Moulton; so the deck is stacked. What little victories we have had was what GOAL was able to accomplish to make some of the anti-gun bills less onerous. MA is a one-party state and we know what that leads to.

Back
Top Bottom