$2k for a few toys

pastera

NES Member
Budget is $2k for handguns - most likely purchasing shortly after Thanksgiving.

22lr - cheap fun no real preference

45 - want decent trigger out of the box
Looking at FN-FNX Tactical or HK45

9mm - full size with better trigger than my M&P 9c (very low bar)
looking at Springfield XD(M) 9

I'm a south-paw so ambi is important.

Better deals welcome as I would like to have some money leftover to feed the new toys but would rather invest in the guns if it makes sense.

Pick up a Canik TP9SF or SFX 9mm for cheap money
Didn't even think about Canik
Was looking at the XD(m) for the future (retiring in 10 years and trying to relocate to freedom so the threaded barrel is interesting on the XD)

I know it's not right out of the box, but when I had an apex forward set sear kit in my M&P, it was the best trigger I've ever experienced in a semi automatic pistol

For a 22lr go with a S&W 617
I agree with this. A Ruger MK IV is also very nice and accurate but not as accurate as my 617.

look for a S&W semi auto like the 39/59 series.
super nice triggers. Built like tanks. Preban high caps can be had for the 59 series.

22lr
I'm happy with my S&W victory. runs great. fun to shoot. easy to maintain
wanted to dig the Ruger Mark IV but found the thumb safety location very annoying
a while back I picked up a Volquartsen scorpion custom mark III clone. incredible pistol. blows any production 22 pistol out of the water
S&W model 41 - still in production. Four Seasons and Shooting Supply seem to have great prices on them. these pistols hold their value nicely
revolvers in 22 such as the 617 are great in principle, but the DA triggers are annoyingly heavy to achieve reliable ignition and they need to be kept very clean to run reliably. once the extractor gets fouled up it will start binding. they're also a PITA to clean and are very heavy. not calling them crap but a 22 revolver is nowhere near as practical as a 22 autoloader.

45acp
had an FNX45 but wasn't impressed. awkward ergos. complex internals. I'm overall unimpressed by current FN pistol production...they just overall suck.

HK45 is a winner. bubba fett badass. todd green put his through something like 50+k rounds with only a few minor issues. I occasionally carry mine. trigger is not great. can tweek it or swap in a lighter hammer spring but if you're looking for a nice trigger it's not the best choice

setting aside my disgust for Sig Sauer, I still dig the P220. after the 92 it's my 2nd carry choice. something about the grip and recoil impulse for me the P220 just feels right. capacity isn't great but the mags are thin and it's very easy to carry a 2nd mag. BNIB Sigs are dumb overpriced but the used market one can find P220's for under $600. mine has been 100% reliable with carry ammo but on some weak loads it will have feed issues. almost certainly due to being over-sprung but so long as carry or +P ammo cycles it fine then i'm OK with it.

a nice 1911 is always a win, especially if you're on a $2k budget could go with a Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson and still have $$ for that 22 pistol. while some may call me blasphemous, I've found the external extractor 1911 designs can achieve reliability near a P220 or HK45. my Sig 1911 has a ton of rounds through it with zero stoppages.

despite being a hammer fired guy the Glock 21/41 or M&P 45 are also very fine choices. I had an M&P45 back in the day and somewhat regret selling it.

I recently got rid of my 45C and already regret it. Great trigger, very easy to shoot, and I really like the paddle release.

But I’m also a 1911 whore. At $2K, there’s a lot of good options, but Squib makes a good point in trying to get a moderately priced 1911 and using the balance for something else.

I know it's not right out of the box, but when I had an apex forward set sear kit in my M&P, it was the best trigger I've ever experienced in a semi automatic pistol
My 9c needs a new sear block to install the Apex kit so I'm wasn't certain it would be worth installing - if it's that good then the $200 for the kit and sear block might be worth it.

Walther PPQ has the best out-of-the-box trigger on a striker in my opinon. VP9 not really in the same class but I'd say second.

This will blow your budget quickly. Ambi grips available by grip/hand size
P1020853a.jpg P1020854a.jpg P1020850a.jpg

Last edited:
This will blow your budget quickly. Ambi grips available by grip/hand size
View attachment 313001 View attachment 313003 View attachment 313004

interesting, but it also checks the box for magazine-outside-grip (i), so to stay legal it must be under 50 oz and not have a threaded barrel

Handguns/Pistols:
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

Walther ppq. And a 1911
Walther PPQ has the best out-of-the-box trigger on a striker in my opinon. VP9 not really in the same class but I'd say second.

My PPQ trigger is great and I had the same impression... best out of the box trigger I’ve ever had. Then I got my Canik and it’s as good or better and $200 cheaper.

I wouldn't spend $2k on three different pistols. I would buy one or maybe two and make sure I have everything that goes with the pistols. Do you own a pistol with a red dot? Might want to try that. If you spend $650 (typical new pistol price) on a gun and $550 on an optic, you've already spent $1200 before sales tax, mounting, new holster, mags, ammo, etc.

A PPQ has a 5.5lbs trigger, which is good. The triggers I've felt on a VP9 weren't that low. So the PPQ is probably the best option in Mass (outside Mass, there's other double stack 9x19 striker guns with better triggers).

Didn't even think about Canik
Was looking at the XD(m) for the future (retiring in 10 years and trying to relocate to freedom so the threaded barrel is interesting on the XD)

I had an XDm in 9mm. Sold it for a TP9SFX, and did not look back. The Canik shoots really well for me and I like the design; large mags for freestaters, interchangeable rear sight/ optics mounts, nice controls, and a great trigger. I have never been super comfortable with the triggers of striker-fired pistols until now. It was also cheaper than the XDm by $100 or so.

I put a Trijicon RMR on it after a few months of ownership, and it has become one of my favorite range pistols.

My PPQ trigger is great and I had the same impression... best out of the box trigger I’ve ever had. Then I got my Canik and it’s as good or better and $200 cheaper.

I've not shot a Canik, good to know that. I should've been more specific when I said "best" because I for sure haven't shot a ton of striker fired stuff, just Glocks, SW, HK, Sig, Walther, Ruger, Springfield.

Walther GSP Expert, 22lr current generation, can sometimes be found on Gunbroker and local shops in the 1k range.
I find it much better than my SW model 41's. I sent my trigger module to Earl's for a tune-up and ordered the lefty grip for both hand training.
A SW 617 is also a very good choice

No GSP Experts currently listed

Last edited:
For the .22, forget the 617 and snag a used mark 3 for cheap. Put in a Volquartsen accurizing kit and you wail have a phenomenal shooter for like $350.

Had a 4” 617. It was nice, but I don’t miss it

45? Easy, get a Dan Wesson PM45. You will not regret it. Probably another $1200.

So we got $450 left for a 9mm... Scrounge up a few more bucks and get a Glock 34 :) if you don’t like the stock trigger you can improve it for not a lot of money.

Budget is $2k for handguns - most likely purchasing shortly after Thanksgiving.

22lr - cheap fun no real preference

45 - want decent trigger out of the box
Looking at FN-FNX Tactical or HK45

9mm - full size with better trigger than my M&P 9c (very low bar)
looking at Springfield XD(M) 9

I'm a south-paw so ambi is important.

Better deals welcome as I would like to have some money leftover to feed the new toys but would rather invest in the guns if it makes sense.

.45 = CZ 97BD

Just don't point it at your crotch, please.
51E79FD9-E0E9-4710-8348-E1CEA8D36399.jpeg

You know what sucks - I'm shipping out for for work travel so I won't have time.

But what doesn't suck is that travel is to Hawaii 😜😜😜😜

I need to pick up a set of dies and settle on a mold so that I can start reloading 45

You know what sucks - I'm shipping out for for work travel so I won't have time.

But what doesn't suck is that travel is to Hawaii 😜😜😜😜

I need to pick up a set of dies and settle on a mold so that I can start reloading 45
Well let me know when you get back and I’ll let you borrow this one. I also have a NOE 453423. 451 and 454 round ball too. Oh and that cool little collar button mould that someone made from the .457 round ball. Except it drops like .455 so perfect for ACP.

Back
Top Bottom