2A Sanctuary Ordinance push for Coos County in NH...Too bad it has come to come to this.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
From the article:

It is rather sad that a Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms (both the Second Amendment and Article 2-A) must be defended in this manner. But a tyrannical Government will never admit to being such – and it will always use phrases such as “common sense,” “safety and security,” “for the common good,” “keeping firearms out of the hands that shouldn’t have them.”

this is nice, but it looks like masturbatory feel good declaration for future use, i.e. there is movement, there is no progress.

5. Any prohibition, regulation, and/or use restriction related to ownership or the constitutionally guaranteed lawful use or carry of non-fully automatic firearms; and

I didn't see anything on suppressors, it looks like other NFA may not need to be followed and that would be a real test wether this declaration has any teeth.

I really doubt that feds will swoop in and immediately start arresting people, but that would be the real test if local munies are able to do this.

From the article:

It is rather sad that a Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms (both the Second Amendment and Article 2-A) must be defended in this manner. But a tyrannical Government will never admit to being such – and it will always use phrases such as “common sense,” “safety and security,” “for the common good,” “keeping firearms out of the hands that shouldn’t have them.”

I've been waiting for this, I was going to mention it to the Chief of Carroll this weekend.

I've been waiting for this, I was going to mention it to the Chief of Carroll this weekend.

I've been trying to figure out how to start this ball rolling in my county (Merrimack) myself. I was clueless until this came out. The chances of it passing are not good being that my county encompasses Concord and several other very liberal towns but it will definitely be zero chance if it's never started.

I've been trying to figure out how to start this ball rolling in my county (Merrimack) myself. I was clueless until this came out. The chances of it passing are not good being that my county encompasses Concord and several other very liberal towns but it will definitely be zero chance if it's never started.
May be time to move back home to Coös County.

May be time to move back home to Coös County.

The thought had crossed my mind but last week I signed on some land in MIssouri (my MIL gave it to my wife and I before she passed). Beautiful piece of farmland. Not real big (about 5 acres) but totally surrounded by thousands of acres of rolling pastures in the middle of the southern Ozarks about 40 miles north of the Arkansas border. If we do anything with it, it won't be for at least 2 years.

The thought had crossed my mind but last week I signed on some land in MIssouri (my MIL gave it to my wife and I before she passed). Beautiful piece of farmland. Not real big (about 5 acres) but totally surrounded by thousands of acres of rolling pastures in the middle of the southern Ozarks about 40 miles north of the Arkansas border. If we do anything with it, it won't be for at least 2 years.

I'd move there if I could find a job. I love Northern NH. Having a family there with some pesos is not an easy thing though. Seems like its a mix between poor people and rich peoples vacation spots with not to much in between.

I could buy like 3 houses a year in Berlin with my current pay [rofl]

if you guys look at what libarals doing, they don't even care about declaring nothing. That district judge was simply letting illegals out of the back door while ICE was waiting. She got charged, but there are thousands of them who do that, no declarations needed.

Gun owners are scared shitless into policing their own and many will proactively snitch on their own for whatever convoluted reasoning, may be thinking that masters will be linient and allow them to keep whatever rights they got left.

There are two different sets of mentality. One is not a winning one.

5 Acres or 50 Acres, if you're surrounded by someone else's land, things could go bad rather easily. You know my set up, I have over a mile of border with Federal land. It took ten years to find it. It was always at the top of our criteria, to border State or National Forest or Conservancy Land. Something that will never change, unless of course the "Schumer Hits The Fan", then I can just annex it by reverse eminent domain. :)

5 Acres or 50 Acres, if you're surrounded by someone else's land, things could go bad rather easily. You know my set up, I have over a mile of border with Federal land. It took ten years to find it. It was always at the top of our criteria, to border State or National Forest or Conservancy Land. Something that will never change, unless of course the "Schumer Hits The Fan", then I can just annex it by reverse eminent domain. :)
Nah...this ain't NH...no one's breaking down doors to buy up all the farmland in this area of Missouri. They hate liberal progressive outsiders. I have family there so I'm not quite an outsider...and I'm hardly a lib or progressive. I met the guy who lives across the street (He has 1200 acres for his cattle). We talked and he seemed like a good guy and said if I did build, he would set me up with a good contractor. I didn't tell him my BIL out there is a contractor.

Who's running this show? Is Senator Starr aware of this?
What about our Coös Reps; Troy Merner, John Fothergill,
Mike Furbush and of course NES's own KBCraig.
Did this come from the Coös County Commissioners office?
Is Coös County Sheriff Brian Valerino aware of this?
I'll make it a point to discuss this with Carroll Chief Tadd Bailey.
That's one town down, 19 to go, speak to you local Police Chief.

*sigh*

I was afraid this effort was going to look like the legal nonsense that this is. Someone has been reading too much fantasy fiction about western sheriffs.

NH has a very weak county government system. Coös County does more than most, because 23 of New Hampshire's 25 unincorporated places are in Coös, but most of that is meaningless; there are no state laws to enforce in the White Mountain National Forest. Our sheriff's department does monitor OHRV trails, which is pretty much the only primary law enforcement duty performed by any NH sheriff's department. Other than that, the sheriff does what the other nine do: courthouse security, prisoner transport, and service of papers.

That is not a slap at Sheriff Valerino or his deputies. It's just the reality of how NH government works.

The county can't tell the state what to do. The county can't pass ordinances. No one can bring a charge in superior court for something that isn't a state law. The chief law enforcement officer in NH counties is the County Attorney, not the sheriff. Sheriffs in NH don't even run the county jails.

I've tried to tell people that the only way to do this is through town warrant articles, declaring that no town money will be spent investigating or prosecuting violations of gun laws. But that's a helluva lot of work, and they don't have anywhere nearly enough people active to accomplish it. We can't get enough people at Town Meeting to stop budget increases for the school; you think we're going to get enough to pass this? A dozen or so people on a mailing list aren't going to get it done.

Do I support the idea? Hell yes! But you have to play the game by the rules as they stand, not as you wish they were.

Interesting, although, if I'm being honest, I think all of this sanctuary shit is pretty meaningless.

I think it's them Kentucky boys that are on to something...

...I've tried to tell people that the only way to do this is through town warrant articles, declaring that no town money will be spent investigating or prosecuting violations of gun laws. But that's a helluva lot of work, and they don't have anywhere nearly enough people active to accomplish it. We can't get enough people at Town Meeting to stop budget increases for the school; you think we're going to get enough to pass this? A dozen or so people on a mailing list aren't going to get it done.

Do I support the idea? Hell yes! But you have to play the game by the rules as they stand, not as you wish they were.

+1, the political reality of every New England state is that there's the state and then the town government. Counties are administrative clusterings of towns. Counties largely have no legislative power. Remember the thread about the guy in Mass who wanted to do these at the Mass county level? He basically got laughed at by everyone.

The people who write these 2A Sanctuary Resolutions are, in RI, the town's legal counsel. The town's legal counsel writes them to largely be toothless, feel-good, virtue-signalling measures. I'm willing to bet that if I checked the RI court records, the towns that passed 2A Sanctuary Resolutions are still charging people with crimes like "possession of a firearm by a felon" or "carrying without a permit."

That being said, in RI at least, these movements served as a rallying point and a way to get typically less-involved gun owners involved in politics. 2019 resulted in like 20/38 towns in RI passing these resolutions and this year, 2020, was the biggest turnout of gun owners at the State House so far. The 2A crowd literally shut down the State House this past week. The town sanctuary movements definitely contributed to spreading the message and getting more people aware and involved.

To be honest, I saw this in the Patch, read through it quickly and posted, more to get some input more than anything. I agree with you all that NH‘s county system is rather weak. It’s not like other parts of the country where the sheriff is God. I need to rethink this whole sanctuary county thing again.

Like Andy in NH‘s post shows, the whole country should be a “sanctuary country”. Unfortunately, reality says it’s not. Our next election this fall, state (NH) and national, will determine our paths for generations, if not longer.

To be honest, I saw this in the Patch, read through it quickly and posted, more to get some input more than anything. I agree with you all that NH‘s county system is rather weak. It’s not like other parts of the country where the sheriff is God. I need to rethink this whole sanctuary county thing again.

Like Andy in NH‘s post shows, the whole country should be a “sanctuary country”. Unfortunately, reality says it’s not. Our next election this fall, state (NH) and national, will determine our paths for generations, if not longer.

The idea doesn't need to be massively overhauled - focus on the towns, not the counties. You could probably get a big chunk of Merrimack County towns to pass these resolutions. You personally.

If I may share a little ray of hope for the doomers among us, we had a planning board hearing on some proposals that included a noise nuisance amendment, a thinly veiled attempt to curb shooting in town. We showed up in force and packed the room to the point people were out in the lobby and standing outside. I was all ready to hit them with the RSA on preemption, but by the time I had gotten up to speak, the board all but accepted that this proposal would be pulled. There is still plenty of fight in our rural towns.

by the time I had gotten up to speak, the board all but accepted that this proposal would be pulled. There is still plenty of fight in our rural towns.

Great news! We just have to watch out for the “all but” part...the libs won’t roll over that easily.

I’d love to hear of any peeps working on Worcester County. I’m doing my part spawning new gun owners by the year, about as much as I have kids. I’d like to do more.

PS. follow up to the post above. Legislative response to this effort could be a repeal of the creation of this county..
Let's just start an effort to make NH a 2A Sanctuary state by replacing the bad apples in Concord.

Section 22:11
22:11 Coos. – The county of Coos contains all the lands and waters within the limits of the state which lie northerly of the counties of Grafton and Carroll.

PS. follow up to the post above. Legislative response to this effort could be a repeal of the creation of this county..
Let's just start an effort to make NH a 2A Sanctuary state by replacing the bad apples in Concord.

Section 22:11
22:11 Coos. – The county of Coos contains all the lands and waters within the limits of the state which lie northerly of the counties of Grafton and Carroll.
The whole county (and state) would be better off if we could just dissolve the City of Berlin.

Back
Top Bottom