2A conversations I overheard from the other night.

Shark_Cage

NES Member
We're at a party, and the wife is sitting with some of the other mothers. One of them brings up Sandy Hook and starts in on “why does anyone need a gun like that”? My wife, God love her (doesn't even shoot), stops her and says, “this isn't a gun issue, this is a Mental Health issue.” She continues on with this. The other mom's were listening and nodding their heads and I was in the background thinking, “Wow, you just totally handled that.” I was so proud.

Now here is where it got interesting, this guy interjects. He's a Police LT from another town. Agrees with the first mother that civilians don't need those guns (arrgh). Then he explains that they can't ban them either. “There are too many out there...It would take forever to get them all...Its not worth it”.

Then he got into the Militia thing. “You see, up in NH, and all through the country, there are these people who like to dress up and play military. They have the delusion they are going to protect the nation. Sometimes they're called preppers, survivalists or just militia. These guys love those guns.” Makes you wonder what they are being instructed.

That LT needs to become educated on the differences between preppers, survivalists, and militias. The first two are more of "I'm ready for when the SHTF, are you?". The last is more of "We're ready for when the SHTF and will help to protect those that need it." It also doesn't matter what state you're in, all three are present. Also, from what I've seen/heard/read, most militias don't 'play military'. Sure, they'll practice maneuvers so that they work well together, but it's not something they'll do in public view (IMO).

To be clear, I'm not in a prepper, survivalist, or in a militia. I do plan on becoming more prepared for a SHTF scenario, and getting some more survival information in case that does happen. I might even figure out who else is in the area where we could pool resources in such an event.

BTW, I would have asked the LT why he thinks that people should be disarmed and such. Pretty much pointing out how 2A gives us the right to do so. It's our choice to own firearms, which is protected by 2A. I know, preaching to the choir (here)... [smile] Just shit like that (the other women and cop) just burn me up. Those are the people I'll turn away when it's SHTF time.

A Sgt at work said that assault weapons should be banned. I asked him what makes a rifle an "assault weapon". He had no idea. When I told him what the current laws and proposals were he changed his mind.

Then he got into the Militia thing. “You see, up in NH, and all through the country, there are these people who like to dress up and play military. They have the delusion they are going to protect the nation. Sometimes they're called preppers, survivalists or just militia. These guys love those guns.” Makes you wonder what they are being instructed.

Irony: Cop disparages group of nonmilitary citizens for dressing up and playing military.

To be clear, I'm not in a prepper, survivalist, or in a militia.

You're in NH. You're in the militia, unless you aren't able-bodied, or unless you're in the military.

RSA 110:B-1 IV. The unorganized militia shall consist of all able-bodied residents of the state who are 18 years of age or older, who are, or have declared their intention to become, citizens of the United States, and who are not serving in the national guard or the state guard.

You're in NH. You're in the militia, unless you aren't able-bodied, or unless you're in the military.

RSA 110:B-1 IV. The unorganized militia shall consist of all able-bodied residents of the state who are 18 years of age or older, who are, or have declared their intention to become, citizens of the United States, and who are not serving in the national guard or the state guard.

Thank you for this.

I would also like to state that I am proud to be a part of such a militia. I love this state, and I love this country. If I am needed, I am a phone call away.

I sleep with my phone on.

Ok, well then, I'm just not in the organized militia... [smile]

Who do I have to beat in order to get my ammo supply then? I can't do anything with dust you know.

My phone is also my alarm clock, so it's on pretty much 24x7.

Anyone know if the same rules apply for Maine??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom